GDT: Sharks vs. Panthers 7:30pm The Return of Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
A lot of others expect Connor McDavids to be playing on the 4th line. It's pretty comical.

Is it wrong to hold them to the standards I have in NHL19 where even my 4th liners are 60-70 point players? I don’t think it is. In fact the fact that I’ve won the past 5 cups speaks to how we should hold these standards.

Reactions: NWSharkie

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
No it doesn't. Donskoi sitting based on his own merits doesn't mean Haley has to stay in the line up. I even said Radil can come in instead.

I just don't understand the people wanting to bash Haley because Donskoi is playing like poo and create scenarios that haven't even happened yet. I expect a lot more out of Donskoi than what he's bringing.

I’d be cool with it too but I’m pretty sure Radil got sent down. I’m also not bashing Haley because of Donskoi, I’m bashing him because he brings nothing to the lineup in today’s NHL and he’s prone to taking stupid penalties because he’s a goon. To address Bizz’s Mcdavid comment, let’s look at Tampa’s fourth line as they seem to be doing things right.

Erne (55 GP, 18pts)- Paquette (70 GP, 16pts)- Gourde (71GP, 41pts)

Goodrow and Melker mirror Erne and Paquettes production while Donskoi (34 pts) could mirror Gourde’s. We’ll need four scoring lines to win in the playoffs. Haley does not belong in today’s NHL. Donskoi may not be having success in the top 6 against other teams top talent but maybe he can have success on our fourth line against the other teams bottom 6.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
No it doesn't. Donskoi sitting based on his own merits doesn't mean Haley has to stay in the line up. I even said Radil can come in instead.

I just don't understand the people wanting to bash Haley because Donskoi is playing like poo and create scenarios that haven't even happened yet. I expect a lot more out of Donskoi than what he's bringing.

Let me rephrase what i was trying to say. If I understand correctly, we all agree that Donskoi has been underperforming. You strongly support him being benched and would prefer it to be Radil who comes in for him since he sucks less but would be okay with it being Haley. So basically you're fine with any lineup change to get Donskoi out of the lineup for a game or two. Does that accurately reflect your argument? Assuming it does, I don't agree with it because I don't think actively making the lineup worse for a game or two to "send a message" to Donskoi is worth it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Let me rephrase what i was trying to say. If I understand correctly, we all agree that Donskoi has been underperforming. You strongly support him being benched and would prefer it to be Radil who comes in for him since he sucks less but would be okay with it being Haley. So basically you're fine with any lineup change to get Donskoi out of the lineup for a game or two. Does that accurately reflect your argument? Assuming it does, I don't agree with it because I don't think actively making the lineup worse for a game or two to "send a message" to Donskoi is worth it.
No, I think Haley and Donskoi play 2 very different games and have 2 very different roles. I expect a lot more out of Donskoi than I do Haley, as does the coaching staff.

That said, the immediate 'he's going to get scratched for Haley' is inaccurate. If he's scratched it's because of his play, not Haley's. Also, Donskoi is a better player than any of the 3 players currently on the 4th line so to single him out isn't fair.

Donskoi hasn't scored in over 2 dozen games. Him getting scratched a game or two is worth it if he starts having more of an impact in the line up when he's put back in.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
No, I think Haley and Donskoi play 2 very different games and have 2 very different roles. I expect a lot more out of Donskoi than I do Haley, as does the coaching staff.

That said, the immediate 'he's going to get scratched for Haley' is inaccurate. If he's scratched it's because of his play, not Haley's. Also, Donskoi is a better player than any of the 3 players currently on the 4th line so to single him out isn't fair.

Donskoi hasn't scored in over 2 dozen games. Him getting scratched a game or two is worth it if he starts having more of an impact in the line up when he's put back in.

So... 1) You're not happy that Donskoi isn't scoring and want him scratched in hopes that this improves his game down the line somehow and 2) You don't care if it's Haley coming into the lineup for those several games that Donskoi sits for. How is that different exactly from what I said in my previous post?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
So... 1) You're not happy that Donskoi isn't scoring and want him scratched in hopes that this improves his game down the line somehow and 2) You don't care if it's Haley coming into the lineup for those several games that Donskoi sits for. How is that different exactly from what I said in my previous post?
Where at all do I say that? All I said was Haley has different expectations than Donskoi, and that the other 2 guys on his line are also worse players than Donskoi.

Saying Donskoi deserves to get scratched is completely different than being fine with Haley playing over Donskoi. If Donskoi was producing anywhere near where he should this wouldn't even be a discussion.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Where at all do I say that? All I said was Haley has different expectations than Donskoi, and that the other 2 guys on his line are also worse players than Donskoi.

Saying Donskoi deserves to get scratched is completely different than being fine with Haley playing over Donskoi. If Donskoi was producing anywhere near where he should this wouldn't even be a discussion.

When you know the result of Donskoi getting scratched is Haley coming in, then yes, wanting Donskoi to come out of the lineup means you are fine with Haley playing. I really don't know how else to put it unless you are planning to argue something like semantics, which is silly imo.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Seriously f*** Florida. They took 4 points from us(could cost us the division) and gave us Haley. Not to mention we gave them Hoffman for cheap. It feels like this relationship is one sided. We help them while they screw us. Also they helped build Vegas who is now a pain in the ass.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
When you know the result of Donskoi getting scratched is Haley coming in, then yes, wanting Donskoi to come out of the lineup means you are fine with Haley playing. I really don't know how else to put it unless you are planning to argue something like semantics, which is silly imo.
Besides when I say I'm fine with Radil coming in for him.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Besides when I say I'm fine with Radil coming in for him.

I don't see how that's relevant at all. I'll repeat what I wrote in my previous post again. It has been established that Donskoi is coming out for Haley, so the fact that you are fine with Radil replacing him is irrelevant. Given that this has been established, you being okay with Donskoi coming out of the lineup implies you are fine with Haley being in the lineup.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't see how that's relevant at all. I'll repeat what I wrote in my previous post again. It has been established that Donskoi is coming out for Haley, so the fact that you are fine with Radil replacing him is irrelevant. Given that this has been established, you being okay with Donskoi coming out of the lineup implies you are fine with Haley being in the lineup.
But that's not what is happening. Haley has been a regular in the line up. He's not being re-inserted in Donskoi's spot, Kane is.

Radil is the guy who is really being scratched over Haley.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
But that's not what is happening. Haley has been a regular in the line up. He's not being re-inserted in Donskoi's spot, Kane is.

Radil is the guy who is really being scratched over Haley.

Okay, I guess we are on the semantics train. DeBoer has made it clear that he will keep Haley in the lineup over Donskoi instead of bringing in Radil, so by wanting Donskoi scratched, you are okay with Haley staying in the lineup. Better?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Okay, I guess we are on the semantics train. DeBoer has made it clear that he will keep Haley in the lineup over Donskoi instead of bringing in Radil, so by wanting Donskoi scratched, you are okay with Haley staying in the lineup. Better?
I'm not being semantical. What Deboer does with the line up is out of my hands.

But to answer I'm fine with Donskoi getting scratched tonight. I wouldn't be fine with Haley playing over Donskoi on a regular basis. For a game or two it likely won't make a difference.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'm not being semantical. What Deboer does with the line up is out of my hands.

But to answer I'm fine with Donskoi getting scratched tonight. I wouldn't be fine with Haley playing over Donskoi on a regular basis. For a game or two it likely won't make a difference.

Alright, fair enough lol.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You know, our announcers talked all game about how Florida definitely wasn't going to make the playoffs, and that they would be playing loose because they knew they had no chance at making the playoffs. But that, along with a lot of the things that announcers say nowadays, isn't really true.

Right now, Florida is 10th in the East with 76 points; 7 points behind WC2 Columbus who has 83. Both teams have played 71 games.

As Sharks fans, we should know that a 7 point gap is hardly insurmountable, even over a very small sample. On 2/28, the Sharks were 7 points behind Calgary with equal games played. On 3/11, only 5 games later, the Sharks had closed the gap entirely and taken the lead. Florida has significantly more time to close the gap and they would be trying to do it against a weaker team than the team we closed the gap again. Now, they're also battling with one other team (Montreal), but it's worth noting that a 7 point gap isn't the end of the world with 11 games left and providing an example. Beyond that, there are other examples of teams that were pretty close to Florida's gap from the playoffs made it. On this date in 2015, the Senators were 5 points behind Boston, although they did have one game in hand.

Their coach has called them a "team fighting for their playoff lives" as recently as February 25th. One of their players said "we have to go on a win streak if we want to get to the playoffs" as recently as February 21st. This clearly is a team that believes they can still make the playoffs.

Is it just me, or does it feel like our announcers are frequently pushing lazy, false narratives this season?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
You know, our announcers talked all game about how Florida definitely wasn't going to make the playoffs, and that they would be playing loose because they knew they had no chance at making the playoffs. But that, along with a lot of the things that announcers say nowadays, isn't really true.

Right now, Florida is 10th in the East with 76 points; 7 points behind WC2 Columbus who has 83. Both teams have played 71 games.

As Sharks fans, we should know that a 7 point gap is hardly insurmountable, even over a very small sample. On 2/28, the Sharks were 7 points behind Calgary with equal games played. On 3/11, only 5 games later, the Sharks had closed the gap entirely and taken the lead. Florida has significantly more time to close the gap and they would be trying to do it against a weaker team than the team we closed the gap again. Now, they're also battling with one other team (Montreal), but it's worth noting that a 7 point gap isn't the end of the world with 11 games left and providing an example. Beyond that, there are other examples of teams that were pretty close to Florida's gap from the playoffs made it. On this date in 2015, the Senators were 5 points behind Boston, although they did have one game in hand.

Their coach has called them a "team fighting for their playoff lives" as recently as February 25th. One of their players said "we have to go on a win streak if we want to get to the playoffs" as recently as February 21st. This clearly is a team that believes they can still make the playoffs.

Is it just me, or does it feel like our announcers are frequently pushing lazy, false narratives this season?

It's definitely just you. Just kidding. I've noticed it too...another example is going out of their way to defend Melker when he was terrible by pushing various nonsense like grit and dissecting every thing that he would rarely do well.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Randy definitely has a lot more hot takes than he did in the past. I think it's a combo of the society we now live in and the fact he's starting to just get older and isn't as sharp at his craft as he used to be.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's definitely just you. Just kidding. I've noticed it too...another example is going out of their way to defend Melker when he was terrible by pushing various nonsense like grit and dissecting every thing that he would rarely do well.

Even outside of pumping the tires of Sharks players who are playing objectively terrible by making up complete lies, they just say a lot of dumb things.

In our last game in Florida, we were down by 3 goals with like 5 minutes left, and Jamie kept saying “The Sharks know they’re not gonna win this game.” Like, why’s that? Teams absolutely have come back from 3 goal deficits with 5 minutes remaining. They’re just lazy false narratives.

Randy definitely has a lot more hot takes than he did in the past. I think it's a combo of the society we now live in and the fact he's starting to just get older and isn't as sharp at his craft as he used to be.

What do you mean by the society we live in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad