GDT: Sharks vs Giants: Sunday Night Football

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
- team playing on backend of a back to back
- team playing their backup goaltender
- Couture and Martin are out

This had disaster written all over it

They gotta tighten up in general though. That last goal was a real bummer on all accounts. Vlasic, Braun, Jones just let that one slip by.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
any team that loses the equivalent of couture and martin will have zero hope in the playoffs.

And any team that can't even be competitive in the regular season against a rangers team on back to backs losing Couture and Martin doesn't have any hope with or without them.

The Sharks are wilting at the very first adversity they encounter, as usual. Make excuses all you want, but I still count zero cups for this team.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
And any team that can't even be competitive in the regular season against a rangers team on back to backs losing Couture and Martin doesn't have any hope with or without them.

The Sharks are wilting at the very first adversity they encounter, as usual. Make excuses all you want, but I still count zero cups for this team.

I think we'll see some new line combos in the next game. Being on the road with back-to-back games doesn't give the coaching staff a lot of time to account for two very large players being out. Give it some time. 66% wins is pretty damned good.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Ridiculous statement. The epitome of bad analysis based on small samples and unrepresentative situations, fallacious projection, and sweeping self-important generalizations.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Ridiculous statement. The epitome of bad analysis based on small samples and unrepresentative situations, fallacious projection, and sweeping self-important generalizations.

Agreed. Way too early in the season for that bs. Let's all take a deep breath. The Ducks aren't as bad as their record was, Sharks weren't going to go undefeated and NY showed areas where we need to improve.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Right, small sample size. So what, the last 10 years don't count? I've been making the same argument for awhile now, that this team tends to behave like a group of individuals when facing adversity. That they are easy to throw off their game. That they revert to extremely bad habits when they struggle.

Again, I'm not saying they are going to lose the rest of the season, they won't, I'm saying right now we are seeing the same old, same old from this team. Will they miraculously fix it this season? I hope so, but they haven't in ten years so I'm not real hopeful.

They have a ton of talent, but it won't mean a damn thing if they cannot find a way to be competitive when the chips are down. There are plenty of teams out there that lack star power but work their ass off and work as a team and overachieve because of it.

I am making a VERY specific argument about a VERY specific circumstance. I am basing it on years of behaviour from this core group of players. So you continue using inaccurate and inappropriate descriptions to be dismissive, but lets be clear, if anyone sounds self-important here, it's you.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Agreed. Way too early in the season for that bs. Let's all take a deep breath. The Ducks aren't as bad as their record was, Sharks weren't going to go undefeated and NY showed areas where we need to improve.

This seems to be a common sentiment among certain people around here. Sports are not a coin toss whereyour odds do not reset every time you throw the coin. While this is a different team, it's still got a lot of the same pieces and that has to be taken into account. Just because you have bolted on some new parts doesn't necessarily mean you've built a better faster car. If the same problems crop up as seen from previous seasons, it is perfectly reasonable to connect the dots. Does it mean the Sharks are doomed and have no hope? No, It means they have not yet solved a problem they have had for a very long time. Whether they solve it this season or not is up for debate, but as of right now it does not appear that they have.

That is what I am saying, and I don't see how 'sample size' has a damn thing to do with it.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I think ppl are underestimating couturs impact on this team and martins ability to be a foil for burns and also pushing Dillon down can't be overstated.

Hertl looks great this year, but he is not coutures equal. If he were we'd be a stacked forward group.

Let's take a deep breath and move on from this. Anaheim has one win and Vancouver just got beat by the oilers.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I think ppl are underestimating couturs impact on this team and martins ability to be a foil for burns and also pushing Dillon down can't be overstated.

Well, one person certainly is. We only need to look back to last season to see the last time Couture was out and it was tough as hell then too. Arguably was the reason we were a non-playoff team last season. He is an almost selke-caliber center and a key part of our team. We REALLY lose a lot when he's out. And indeed Martin turns the defense from tenuous to strong. Very few teams have extra top 4 defensemen so when you lose one, you feel it. Perhaps us more than most due to the unique player we have in Burns.

Right now this is a lesser roster than the one that missed the playoffs last year (skaters at least).

Last edited:

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
The season is long. It was a bad game, but just like the first 4 games where the Sharks totally dominated, it's not indicative of the whole season. It's gotta work itself out.

Let's see what they do on the homestand

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
This seems to be a common sentiment among certain people around here. Sports are not a coin toss whereyour odds do not reset every time you throw the coin. While this is a different team, it's still got a lot of the same pieces and that has to be taken into account. Just because you have bolted on some new parts doesn't necessarily mean you've built a better faster car. If the same problems crop up as seen from previous seasons, it is perfectly reasonable to connect the dots. Does it mean the Sharks are doomed and have no hope? No, It means they have not yet solved a problem they have had for a very long time. Whether they solve it this season or not is up for debate, but as of right now it does not appear that they have.

That is what I am saying, and I don't see how 'sample size' has a damn thing to do with it.

You're being dramatic. We're missing some key pieces and you go on about us not being a cup team. We should sticky a post and say the following for people like you: Are the Sharks likely to win the cup this year? NOPE! They are certainly not a favorite. But they are definitely competing and they do have the pieces to make a run. Again, we won't be a powerhouse but we have a whole year to figure out a formula with a NEW coaching staff and some new faces.

The doom and gloom route is just old and tired.

Most teams would struggle with their #2 borderline #1 center out. The Rangers are a damned good team and so are the Islanders.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Watched the 1st and 2nd before having to go to work, but it looked as though we couldnt sustain any offense. Lines clearly were out of sync. With Donskoi and Couture out, the top 3 lines (because Hertl moved up) were not particularly practiced, and the defense got shuffled with Martin out.

Against a defensively sound Rangers team, one that takes advantage of turnovers with quick odd man rushes, this was bound to happen.

I'm not too worried all things considered. A healthy sharks squad is a way different animal than was iced tonight

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You're being dramatic. We're missing some key pieces and you go on about us not being a cup team. We should sticky a post and say the following for people like you: Are the Sharks likely to win the cup this year? NOPE! They are certainly not a favorite. But they are definitely competing and they do have the pieces to make a run. Again, we won't be a powerhouse but we have a whole year to figure out a formula with a NEW coaching staff and some new faces.

The doom and gloom route is just old and tired.

Most teams would struggle with their #2 borderline #1 center out. The Rangers are a damned good team and so are the Islanders.

*bangs head against the wall*

I swear, you make a single specific criticism around here and bam you are a doom and gloomer. It is perfectly reasonable to criticize the team and identify problems and it does not make you a pessimist.

The team should not go from that dominant to this terrible because two player are out. As I've said, ad nauseam, it's not the losing that's the problem, its the fragility of the team that's the issue. No one is going to convince me that missing any two players should cause a team to crumble mentally to this degree.

Again, if we are THIS dependent on these two players, we have a huge problem and the team is built or structured improperly. Do you think DeBoer is sitting around and going "Eh, it will work itself out"? No, he's likely seeing the same thing I am seeing and is hopefully going to work to do something about it. Whether he can or not is the question.

Even if Couture and Martin came back tomorrow and the team right back to winning, it wouldn't make me feel any better. The minute the team faced adversity this season, they collapsed. This is not something new, this is a trend we've seen for awhile now. Turning a blind eye to it is the opposite of doom and gloom, it's living in fantasy land.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
*bangs head against the wall*

I swear, you make a single specific criticism around here and bam you are a doom and gloomer. It is perfectly reasonable to criticize the team and identify problems and it does not make you a pessimist.

The team should not go from that dominant to this terrible because two player are out. As I've said, ad nauseam, it's not the losing that's the problem, its the fragility of the team that's the issue. No one is going to convince me that missing any two players should cause a team to crumble mentally to this degree.

Again, if we are THIS dependent on these two players, we have a huge problem and the team is built or structured improperly. Do you think DeBoer is sitting around and going "Eh, it will work itself out"? No, he's likely seeing the same thing I am seeing and is hopefully going to work to do something about it. Whether he can or not is the question.

Even if Couture and Martin came back tomorrow and the team right back to winning, it wouldn't make me feel any better. The minute the team faced adversity this season, they collapsed. This is not something new, this is a trend we've seen for awhile now. Turning a blind eye to it is the opposite of doom and gloom, it's living in fantasy land.

We've had two back-to-back road games since Couture and Martin got injured. Give DeBoer some faith and lets watch him sort this out. The only person here who has mentally collapsed is you. Look at how worked up you are over 2 games.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
We've had two back-to-back road games since Couture and Martin got injured. Give DeBoer some faith and lets watch him sort this out.

Against a couple of tough teams, and it's only been 6 games with a new coach, system, etc..
They got completely dominated last night but it's too early to say anything, good or bad, about this team yet...at least I'm not willing to...

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
3 in 4 with no real practice and losing 2 top players and two other starters is gonna do that to a team. Any analysis based on that belongs in the trash.

When you replace Tierney on the fourth line with Smith and then Lerg and replace Martin with a rookie bad things are bound to happen. Even if DeMelo is going to be an asset, throwing him into that situation is not ideal.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
We've had two back-to-back road games since Couture and Martin got injured. Give DeBoer some faith and lets watch him sort this out. The only person here who has mentally collapsed is you. Look at how worked up you are over 2 games.

Again, I'm simply pointing out what I am seeing and what needs to be fixed. I'm not saying we are screwed or it is hopeless, I never said that. I am pointing out a problem that is one I have harped on for 4-5 seasons at least cropping up again early in the season. I am not worked up, or predicting total failure. I'm saying if this doesn't get fixed (finally) we have serious issues ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad