GDT: Sharks Vs Flames 24/3/14, 6PM.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How are people over rating the Kings when they have the season series and have beat SJ in every type of game. Meanwhile the Sharks have 1 SO win and that was against Scrivens.

Because every game but one was a close game. It will be a close series but who is on the right side of it will come down to luck. Kings aren't a better team or that tough of a matchup. It will be two even teams playing a very hard game which was going to happen regardless of who they draw in the playoffs. The West has 8 strong teams going in this year.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Because every game but one was a close game. It will be a close series but who is on the right side of it will come down to luck. Kings aren't a better team or that tough of a matchup. It will be two even teams playing a very hard game which was going to happen regardless of who they draw in the playoffs. The West has 8 strong teams going in this year.

Do we ever have the luck on our side? why would you wish for that?

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I don't particularly agree with you here. Center depth has been a strength of the team but Pavs was on the wing for nearly half the season and the they won the vast majority of those games. Regardless of how they're playing now, it wasn't a mistake to have him play at wing. He should move back to center at some point soon but it's not what's breaking the team.

Also, the way Sheppard's been playing lately definitely shows that he can be a 3rd line center with other good quality 3rd liners. He's not going to carry marginal 3rd liners like Pavelski did but he can be a 3rd line center on most teams.

Sheppard's good play as a 3C is a mirage propped up by some goals and points that are probably due to a spike in shooting % and nothing more.

If you look at his corsi in the last 10 games while he's been centering our 3rd line... that line is getting destroyed territorially and possession wise on a consistent basis with the exception being when we play horrendous teams. Not to mention over the last five games his line is starting 60-75% in the offensive zone and they're still getting pushed back into the defensive zone, getting hemmed in, and giving up shots.

Not to mention he is abysmal at faceoffs (which probably has a lot to do with the whole giving up possession so often despite starting in the O-Zone).

I would love for him to be our 4th line center. He'd be great. But a 3C on a team with cup aspirations... he's just not.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sheppard's good play as a 3C is a mirage propped up by some goals and points that are probably due to a spike in shooting % and nothing more.

If you look at his corsi in the last 10 games while he's been centering our 3rd line... that line is getting destroyed territorially and possession wise on a consistent basis with the exception being when we play horrendous teams. Not to mention over the last five games his line is starting 60-75% in the offensive zone and they're still getting pushed back into the defensive zone, getting hemmed in, and giving up shots.

Not to mention he is abysmal at faceoffs (which probably has a lot to do with the whole giving up possession so often despite starting in the O-Zone).

I would love for him to be our 4th line center. He'd be great. But a 3C on a team with cup aspirations... he's just not.

So...I did not watch this game, but I have a suspicion that like in previous games, it is Havlat who is to blame.

Try and remember that Pavelski struggled as the third-line C without compatible linemates.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

Their is only 5 imo. Colorado and Minnesota are pretenders. Phoenix and Dallas are even worse. Even if you want to call the Kings lucky they will still be a tough out and I rather not face a team like them in round 1.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
So...I did not watch this game, but I have a suspicion that like in previous games, it is Havlat who is to blame.

Try and remember that Pavelski struggled as the third-line C without compatible linemates.

No. The third line was fine tonight. But let's be real we weren't exactly playing a playoff caliber team here. I was more talking in general about Sheppard as a 3C going forward.

FWIW Jumbo was our worst forward in this game and was the only player who was on the ice for more corsi against than corsi for. Pavs was second worst. That top line was... they should be embarrassed.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

Sharks had the lead 3 times and blew it, took a stupid penalty lost in OT.

Sharks come back from 1 goal down, give up the lead, win in a Shoot out against their back up goalie who's now in Edmonton shutting out the Sharks on 56 shots.

Sharks get beaten up by the Kings physically Hertl gets his knee blown out, Sharks lost 4-1. Martin Jones with the W.

Sharks get 4 and 5 shots in the first two periods lost 1-0 after LA turns into a defensive shell for the 3rd no one answers for the Hertl cheap shot other than Wingels asking Brown to fight...

Yeah I'm real excited to play them over a team like Phoenix who the Sharks have been very good against. Even Minnesota is better because they rely on their top two lines way too much.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Not enough speed on that line. Wingels is the only one with any burst to get to loose pucks.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Looking at the numbers, there were only 3 games where he had bad games Corsi wise. 3 games in a row so I guess that could color perceptions in a negative way but its sandwiched between 4 game streaks of positive numbers. So I don't really know what to believe.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks had the lead 3 times and blew it, took a stupid penalty lost in OT.

Sharks come back from 1 goal down, give up the lead, win in a Shoot out against their back up goalie who's now in Edmonton shutting out the Sharks on 56 shots.

Sharks get beaten up by the Kings physically Hertl gets his knee blown out, Sharks lost 4-1. Martin Jones with the W.

Sharks get 4 and 5 shots in the first two periods lost 1-0 after LA turns into a defensive shell for the 3rd no one answers for the Hertl cheap shot other than Wingels asking Brown to fight...

Yeah I'm real excited to play them over a team like Phoenix who the Sharks have been very good against. Even Minnesota is better because they rely on their top two lines way too much.

I didn't say I was excited about it. I said people are exaggerating the matchup's difficulties. This post is a shining example of that exaggeration. None of that matters in the playoffs. They didn't get dominated in those games. There wasn't a consistent significant difference between the two teams in the games. There are definitely preferences over them but it's not some death sentence that people are making it out to be. The Kings are a team the Sharks can and probably will beat.

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
We need the 2 points tomorrow. Insane that we couldn't get them tonight.

I thought Stuart had a pretty strong game at least.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Looking at the numbers, there were only 3 games where he had bad games Corsi wise. 3 games in a row so I guess that could color perceptions in a negative way but its sandwiched between 4 game streaks of positive numbers. So I don't really know what to believe.

Notice his poor games are generally against the playoff teams while his good ones are against the bottom feeders...

That's why I said he's not a 3C on a playoff contender. That's nice that he can compete and outpossess ****** teams' depth players (heck at least someone's trying against those teams :shakehead). But he doesn't cut it against any team we might meet in the playoffs. Which is kind of the whole point.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Even worse. that quote was about Burish

omsj.gif

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Notice his poor games are generally against the playoff teams while his good ones are against the bottom feeders...

That's why I said he's not a 3C on a playoff contender. That's nice that he can compete and outpossess ****** teams' depth players (heck at least someone's trying against those teams :shakehead). But he doesn't cut it against any team we might meet in the playoffs. Which is kind of the whole point.

Mmmm...I dunno. Personally, I think it's still inconclusive at this point.I do concede that I will feel safer if Pavelski is the 3C for the remainder of this season and postseason but I am all for experimenting with Sheppard at 3C a lot next year. I think he can do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad