Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign F Collin Graf to ELC

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
"Quinn was one of college hockey’s top recruiters during his time as Boston University’s coach. In five years there from 2013 to 2018, he brought in Jack Eichel, Charlie McAvoy, Clayton Keller, Jordan Greenway, Dante Fabbro, Jake Oettinger, Brady Tkachuk, and Trevor Zegras."

When it is time to move on from Quinn, he should supplant Joe Will!

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
"Quinn was one of college hockey’s top recruiters during his time as Boston University’s coach. In five years there from 2013 to 2018, he brought in Jack Eichel, Charlie McAvoy, Clayton Keller, Jordan Greenway, Dante Fabbro, Jake Oettinger, Brady Tkachuk, and Trevor Zegras."

When it is time to move on from Quinn, he should supplant Joe Will!

I can’t tell how good of a couch he is because he has the world’s worst roster but as a human and teacher, Quinn seems great.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I can’t tell how good of a couch he is because he has the world’s worst roster but as a human and teacher, Quinn seems great.
I think Quinn is a horrible systems coach but a great leader. Really wouldn’t mind keeping him around the org, I just don’t think he’s good enough technically to run a real winning hockey team.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I think Quinn is a horrible systems coach but a great leader. Really wouldn’t mind keeping him around the org, I just don’t think he’s good enough technically to run a real winning hockey team.

No clue if you are right but they do say Culture reflects leadership so for the time being he might be great.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

It's a real weak spot for me, spotting systems, knowing systems -- it would really interesting to have a thread where people break down what he does and why it's no good. Do you think partly he's trying to create something around a bunch of not-very-good players?

But yeah, I agree, re: leader.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
It's a real weak spot for me, spotting systems, knowing systems -- it would really interesting to have a thread where people break down what he does and why it's no good. Do you think partly he's trying to create something around a bunch of not-very-good players?

But yeah, I agree, re: leader.
My personal take is that the best of us don't really understand NHL-level systems. We kind of get it, we kind of see it, but it's levels beyond us. I played ~college level and I think I have a decent feel for the game and I really don't feel all that qualified to judge NHL (or frankly even college) coaches at all on their systems, unless it's egregiously bad.

What I can say about our defensive system is that it's a shell system that is fairly resilient... we frustrate teams, we give our goalies a chance to succeed. But it also has a few major flaws in that we are prone to getting hemmed into the zone because we give the perimeter. Players get tired, bad uncontrolled exits (dump-outs) and a line change and back into the washing machine, or worse, tired -> turnover in the zone -> chance against. It's like parking the bus in soccer. You're not going to win many games doing it -- but it gives you a chance to win the occasional 1-0. You're almost always going to look like you're getting dominated.

It is hard to disaggregate the effectiveness of the system from the quality of our defensive corps and the youth/decrepit oldness of our forward corps.

Frankly, I didn't watch enough of last year to be able to say "he created a system to maximize the value of Karlsson which got us some assets for him." The numbers do seem to bear that out. At the very least his system didn't STOP Karlsson from a historic season.

What @Juxtaposer said is very clear to me as well though -- he's obviously respected and liked in the room, and it seems like he's particularly good at coaching up young kids. The players really put in a pretty amazing effort given how bad we are and how hard it is mentally to win one game out of 20. The NYR fans seem to hate him for ruining Kappo, but I don't know enough to know whether that's true, and from what I see, he seems like a solid coach at this point in our journey.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
1st round level talent chooses us over a sleau of other teams? Well done Mikey. Safe to say we have the best prospect pool in the league minus our 2 firsts this year and next??
He choose top line playing time in the NHL and more money kind of a no brainer to pick SJ over other teams

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Agreed, there’s a reason he was undrafted
Yeah, and the reason is that he was 5’8” in his draft year.

It’s good to have realistic expectations but Graf isn’t your average 24 year old college UDFA. He should be treated like any other mid-round 21-year-old NCAA signing. It’s absolutely possible that he’s a bust but there’s also a possibility that he’s not.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's very funny that Graf is ranked 6th on the Elite Prospects list of college free agents but the guy ranked #1 had to settle for an AHL only contract. I definitely trust these people's scouting opinions.

• Haha
Reactions: timorous me

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Alright so I definitely am excited we signed the guy

but...

holy shit is he slight. Needs to put on about 20 pounds. You can see it through the pads let alone the shot of him in his undershirt.
Tough to keep up with a growth spurt!

(Or so I've heard.)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad