Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
So cool having a prospect like Smith. He’s arguably the best player in the NCAA as a freshman. Finally a glimmer of hope for us. He’s gotta be the best prospect we’ve had since Marleau.
He's definitely the best prospect since Marleau... I still think Marleau might have been a higher level prospect. Also came straight into the NHL and made plays.

If we are lucky enough to draft Celebrini, he'll be our best prospect of all time. I still think that depending on our luck/how they turn out, pick 2-4 could be on par with, and in an upside, better than Smith as a prospect. Hopefully we add another one of them next year, too.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Our 2023 has had the funnest D+1 season to follow since I started following hockey. I think the only other draft that's had several players have fun d+1 seasons to follow were like the 2020 and 2014 drafts.
Hiring an actual scouting and development team makes a difference. I have hope that Grier will build this thing the right way, off to a good start.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I stole this off Twitter but :

He's now up to 67 points in 37 games.

The only U19 player with more points in the last 30 years in a single NCAA season is Jack Eichel with 71. And Smith still has games to play.
Well he just put up 5 points against the second best team in the county so I think it is very likely he beats Eichel’s 71 points.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
While the shining prince is overshadowing everything, let’s give credit where credit is due:

Musty with another whopper, 2G, 2A, +5 in a 9-2 win. Season-finale is today. If he gets 4 points, he is at 2PPG

Cagnoni had a productive weekend: 1A, +2 in a 4-3 loss on Friday followed by 2G, 1A, +1 in a 7-4 win.

Last but not least, I wanted to praise Thomas Bordeleau, not for his scoring, but for his all around improved play this time around. Sheng did the job for me:

I was close to giving up on him, but he could still make it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I was a big fan of Bordeleau early on and then sort of lost hope for him. It’s really nice to see him succeeding. I’m still curious what his ceiling is — but certainly, if he keeps it up, I think he can be a top 6 winger.
The thing with Bordeleau that always worried me was his size. He’s too small to play C and he looked TERRIBLE at wing early on. It’s nice that he’s coming around to playing wing a bit more.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The thing with Bordeleau that always worried me was his size. He’s too small to play C and he looked TERRIBLE at wing early on. It’s nice that he’s coming around to playing wing a bit more.

Yeah, it’s his only way into the NHL I think. I’ve been impressed with him lately, he’s scoring goals that are both pretty and dirty, and he’s working off the puck pretty well.

If next season’s team has Eklund, Bordeleau, Muhk, Guschin, Zetterlund, Smith and Musty (part-time) on it, we’ll still be bad but it would be like a balm to the fandom’s soul. It’ll be way more fun to watch.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not to interrupt Will Smith celebration day but I just don’t see how you could possibly send Musty back to juniors. I mean, he’s literally skating circles around the OHL. He commands so much respect from defenders that they leave his teammates just wide open. His playmaking and ability to find guys from anywhere on the ice is next level. This is just unfair.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not to interrupt Will Smith celebration day but I just don’t see how you could possibly send Musty back to juniors. I mean, he’s literally skating circles around the OHL. He commands so much respect from defenders that they leave his teammates just wide open. His playmaking and ability to find guys from anywhere on the ice is next level. This is just unfair.

Disgustingly bad goaltending also.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

They need to have some sort of exceptional status for the AHL that teams can apply for.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Disgustingly bad goaltending also.
Yeah CHL defense and goaltending ain’t it. Something that really sets the NCAA apart as a developmental league is that there is so much more defensive structure and the goaltenders are much further along in their development. CHL is a rodeo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad