Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
He never played in national team unlike Knyazev and Spiridonov.
Hockey fans in Russia and press doesn’t know about him.
At this moment he was just not bad work-horse in VHL with some upside, Russia has many same players. And Russian team traditionally full of offensive players. It’s bad but this is Sparta (sorry, I mean Russia). I have some expectations on him but I know about Timur only because Sharks drafted him. He wouldn’t be on WJC even if he would born in 2001.
We are all here have one problem: we overestimate our prospects. And we should pay more attention for scout reports, many of them rate our prospect pool one of the worst in the league and season 2019/20 showed that our best prospects like Chekhovich, Chmelevski are not that good as we thought even on AHL level. I know it was just first their season and they may improve and become NHLers, but still.
Let’s just hope that Merkley and Leonard will realize our high expectations.

Which of the Russian prospects do you have the highest expectations for?

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Which of the Russian prospects do you have the highest expectations for?
I have high expectations on Melnichuk. He was a starter in SKA (one of the best teams in KHL) some time and had great stats. He lost ice time because he let SKA knew that he will not sign new contract. As I posted in Melnichuk’s thread before, in his interviews he looks pretty smart, modest and not selfish guy. And he had huge family tragedy which made him mentally stronger. I don’t know how he will get adjusted to AHL/NHL but he has all to become NHLer.
Also I like Knyazev, he has high hockey IQ, he skates well and not bad on defensive work per scout reports.
Edit: Maybe Spiridonov will be good in time as a 3C. And I hope Chekhovich will recover and play better in new season.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I have high expectations on Melnichuk. He was a starter in SKA (one of the best teams in KHL) some time and had great stats. He lost ice time because he let SKA knew that he will not sign new contract. As I posted in Melnichuk’s thread before, in his interviews he looks pretty smart, modest and not selfish guy. And he had huge family tragedy which made him mentally stronger. I don’t know how he will get adjusted to AHL/NHL but he has all to become NHLer.
Also I like Knyazev, he has high hockey IQ, he skates well and not bad on defensive work per scout reports.
Edit: Maybe Spiridonov will be good in time as a 3C. And I hope Chekhovich will recover and play better in new season.
I thought Melnichuk was playing in the 2nd tier league in Russia? Besides, you would hope a goalie gets good stats behind SKA as they’re one of the best teams in the league by far.
I agree with you he is promising tho I just don’t know how good he will be. On the bright side, he’s very young and has the experience of playing against older guys which is rare. Usually goalies play in smaller leagues for quite a while.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018

Melnichuk has exciting possibilities and he could really get an opportunity to play in SJ. I’ve felt the need to temper my expectations with him just because goalies are so unpredictable to begin with. But I’m very excited to hear you are high on him, as you have more insight than me.

I like Knyazev and he impressed me with his skating ability, so I hope for the best with him. If he can Simek himself into a regular spot I would be very pleased.

Spiridonov is less exciting, I’ve seen so little of his play though. My first thought is he is another Uber talented Russian forward that may not translate to North American play. 3C would be amazing for us.

Timur is sounding exciting for being picked so late, but then I hear you say nobody in Russia even knows him. If he becomes anything at all I will be happy.

Appreciate your insight ;)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What are Sharks' fans thoughts on Keaton Middleton? Curious from an Avs perspective...

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Some interesting Sharks notes from Scott Wheeler at the Athletic:

Blichfeld: Sees him as a full-time NHler next season. Likes his scoring and playmaking ability.

Pasichnuk: Views him as 4-5 d-man with 2nd PP QB upside. Worries about his defense at evens, but likes his strength.

Dahlen: Wheeler is big on this guy and continues to see him in the big leagues.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, I tend to shoot pretty high for alot of our prospects whether realistic or unrealistic, but I truly think we have a 25-30 goal a season guy in Blichfeld.
That would be amazing. I dont know about it though. 25 seems like healthy optimism, but past that I just dont see without serious help from a high caliber playmaker

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
I think Pasichnuk will be in opening night roster. He gotta get time in 2nd PP-unit. He is physical ready almost as Ferraro was before this season. I remember how Brinson impressed SJ’s camp in 2018 (IIRC), he was one of the brightest sides there. We are not need to rush Merkley, he should adapt to pro hockey in AHL (full season or just half) and become stronger physically. But I don’t know how good Pasichnuk on defensive side. Maybe he will be our Dunn. Or maybe I just overestimate our prospect, as usually, lol.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Is there a 2020 Draft thread yet for the Sharks?

I'm a believer you take the best player available. But I have also been doing a decent amount of looking into this class for several months and, providing he doesn't rise last minute (which I fear he may do), I've seen a lot of mocks where William Wallander is still available at the Sharks pick. Loads of potential, size, good skater LHD - long term fills a big need if he's on the board.

Also love Adam Raska's game for a mid-late round pick.

Reactions: Mc Hael Productions

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I usually take overage seasons with a grain of salt. I’d expect him to join the cuda next year
Size and stats outputs look similar to Barclay Goodrow. Not sure how they compare as far as talent or skillset, but off the hoof they look similar.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I usually take overage seasons with a grain of salt. I’d expect him to join the cuda next year
To a certain degree. It depends on just how drastically different the overage season is. Blichfeld basically doubled his points. Couple things with that. The coaches told him now that he's been drafted he's going to have to show up every night if he wants to make "the show" and I think that more focus helped him be a factor more times than not. He used to take lot's of shifts off but he was much better at competing that last junior season. If he can continue that upward trend he could very well turn into a 25 goal guy. He's got the frame just needs some muscle and he's got a natural shot and an above average passer who sees the ice very well. As far as the difference between 19 and 20 year olds. The difference is blown way out of proportion in the analysis of these guys. I saw them doing group warm ups in the parking lot almost every week when they weren't on the road and it would be pretty difficult to tell which ones were the oldest. Blichfeld was one of the tallest guys for 3 years and looked younger than most of them because he has a baby face and looks like a bean pole. I just think it might be different with him specifically because it wasn't like he developed a big man body and dominated people physically. He literally just started trying harder day in, day out and became one the best offensive players in the league.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
To a certain degree. It depends on just how drastically different the overage season is. Blichfeld basically doubled his points. Couple things with that. The coaches told him now that he's been drafted he's going to have to show up every night if he wants to make "the show" and I think that more focus helped him be a factor more times than not. He used to take lot's of shifts off but he was much better at competing that last junior season. If he can continue that upward trend he could very well turn into a 25 goal guy. He's got the frame just needs some muscle and he's got a natural shot and an above average passer who sees the ice very well. As far as the difference between 19 and 20 year olds. The difference is blown way out of proportion in the analysis of these guys. I saw them doing group warm ups in the parking lot almost every week when they weren't on the road and it would be pretty difficult to tell which ones were the oldest. Blichfeld was one of the tallest guys for 3 years and looked younger than most of them because he has a baby face and looks like a bean pole. I just think it might be different with him specifically because it wasn't like he developed a big man body and dominated people physically. He literally just started trying harder day in, day out and became one the best offensive players in the league.
I agree wholeheartedly that the difference in 18-19-20 year old really is blown out of proportion from a physical standpoint. I played 4 years of D1 baseball in college (not bragging or anything as I was pretty mediocre at best). Every year we had freshman come in as 18 year olds that were already physically stronger and faster than me even whenever I was a senior.

The difference that I think often drives the large turnarounds in point totals and play is that as you get older in these major junior leagues (or even for me playing baseball in college) is you get accustomed to the travel schedule and the effects of that, you get used to how the game is expected to be played and pick up on intricacies that younger guys miss early on, and then finally you just have higher expectations as you are oftentimes moved up in the lineup and playing more minutes.

So from a physical standpoint, the age difference means minimal in most cases as if you're good enough to get drafted you've probably been working out, lifting weights, and doing those types of things from an early age. From an experience standpoint, I think it does make a big impact as guys start to mature a lot during those years and are oftentimes adjusting to the schedule and life away from mom and dad.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly that the difference in 18-19-20 year old really is blown out of proportion from a physical standpoint. I played 4 years of D1 baseball in college (not bragging or anything as I was pretty mediocre at best). Every year we had freshman come in as 18 year olds that were already physically stronger and faster than me even whenever I was a senior.

The difference that I think often drives the large turnarounds in point totals and play is that as you get older in these major junior leagues (or even for me playing baseball in college) is you get accustomed to the travel schedule and the effects of that, you get used to how the game is expected to be played and pick up on intricacies that younger guys miss early on, and then finally you just have higher expectations as you are oftentimes moved up in the lineup and playing more minutes.

So from a physical standpoint, the age difference means minimal in most cases as if you're good enough to get drafted you've probably been working out, lifting weights, and doing those types of things from an early age. From an experience standpoint, I think it does make a big impact as guys start to mature a lot during those years and are oftentimes adjusting to the schedule and life away from mom and dad.

Most of what I said was targeted at Blichfeld specifically. Not that I'm some insider but playing at their rink and seeing them once a week and having friends who work with the team I've had a lot of conversations with them about him after the Sharks drafted him. He was apparently ultra lazy until they sat him down prior to the over age season. Probably why he was drafted so late. They said he was like a different player when he came back from Sharks camp for his overage season. Pretty sure there is an article somewhere that talks a little about this. So he was putting up almost a point a game prior with out even really trying. One he applied himself he averaged 2 points a game. Kid has natural skill. Can he find another gear to translate it to the NHL? I have no idea. But I'm hopeful.

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Most of what I said was targeted at Blichfeld specifically. Not that I'm some insider but playing at their rink and seeing them once a week and having friends who work with the team I've had a lot of conversations with them about him after the Sharks drafted him. He was apparently ultra lazy until they sat him down prior to the over age season. Probably why he was drafted so late. They said he was like a different player when he came back from Sharks camp for his overage season. Pretty sure there is an article somewhere that talks a little about this. So he was putting up almost a point a game prior with out even really trying. One he applied himself he averaged 2 points a game. Kid has natural skill. Can he find another gear to translate it to the NHL? I have no idea. But I'm hopeful.
Oh yeah no doubt. I watched him lots in his overage season and it was great the changes I saw. However you do see lots of guys have crazy overage seasons and don’t go anywhere, so I don’t try to base too much on them

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad