Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
I like it. The sharks have been seriously collecting SKA players recently. The only issue is the strength of the team. SKA is usally the best so I don’t like the odds of Spiri getting good time.
Yeah, SKA has very strong team and it will be big surprise if Yegor will be on roster. I think he will play in VHL as he did this season. He had 18 games, 3 (1+2) points, “-3”, 10 PIM, average time on ice 11:18, 28 SOG and 68,2% FOW (won 73 of 107).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, SKA has very strong team and it will be big surprise if Yegor will be on roster. I think he will play in VHL as he did this season. He had 18 games, 3 (1+2) points, “-3”, 10 PIM, average time on ice 11:18, 28 SOG and 68,2% FOW (won 73 of 107).
Yeah I would hope he’s at least full time in the VHL next year. Ideally he would be playing in a bit better of a league, but we don’t have control of that until the next offseason

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Looks like Timur Ibragimov will play next season in TPS (Finland) on loan. As Goldobin few years before. I think it’s good decision. Cuda has too many forwards. Source - Uutta: TPS:ään tulossa toinenkin venäläinen NHL-varaus – Siirto kiinni enää NHL-papereista
Interesting move, I wonder if it has anything to do with Tony Sund playing there. I pretty much counted the guy out, but maybe sharks want to have a chance to watch two guys in one place.

The article also says the sharks have a 'advisor' who also works for TPS

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Hello guys, Bruins fan here looking for prospect insight on John Leonard. Do you see him as a future top 6? How likely is he to make the NHL? What’s the soonest he could make it and when would you expect him to get his first taste of the NHL?

Thank you for your insights.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hello guys, Bruins fan here looking for prospect insight on John Leonard. Do you see him as a future top 6? How likely is he to make the NHL? What’s the soonest he could make it and when would you expect him to get his first taste of the NHL?

Thank you for your insights.
All depends on what they do with the roster but I expect him to play opening night. He's older than a number of prospects and he plays physical. What line he plays on depends on his defensive play and how fast he figures out scoring at the NHL level. Probably 3rd or most likely 4th line to start but he could rise quickly depending on the rest of the roster.

Worth watching this. His skill and effort on display at the end of the video.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Finding NHL comps for 10 of the Sharks’ best prospects

Kurz and Athletic NHL prospect writer Scott Wheeler try to find NHL player comps for some of the Sharks' more notable prospects (excluding goalies). If I don't specify which author is making the comparison, presume it's Wheeler and that Kurz didn't offer one for that player.

Ryan Merkley
  • Wheeler says Tyson Barrie, with the caveat that it's a highly imperfect comparison, calling Merkley a "unicorn".
  • Kurz says Erik Karlsson

Sasha Chmelevski
  • Connor Brown

Noah Gregor
  • Wheeler: "Budget" Jake DeBrusk
  • Kurz: "Budget" Ivan Barbashev

Brinson Pasnichuk
  • Brandon Montour

John Leonard
  • Victor Olofsson

Joachim Blichfeld

• Alex Killorn

Jonathan Dahlen
  • Sam Gagner

Artemi Kniazev
  • Wheeler: Radim Simek
  • Kurz: "Budget" Ivan Provorov

Dillon Hamaliuk
  • Kevin Stenlund

Ivan Chekhovich

• Jordan Weal

*insert standard "this is depressing" whinging that was the bulk of the Athletic comment section about this article*

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Finding NHL comps for 10 of the Sharks’ best prospects

Kurz and Athletic NHL prospect writer Scott Wheeler try to find NHL player comps for some of the Sharks' more notable prospects (excluding goalies). If I don't specify which author is making the comparison, presume it's Wheeler and that Kurz didn't offer one for that player.

Ryan Merkley
  • Wheeler says Tyson Barrie, with the caveat that it's a highly imperfect comparison, calling Merkley a "unicorn".
  • Kurz says Erik Karlsson

Sasha Chmelevski
  • Connor Brown

Noah Gregor
  • Wheeler: "Budget" Jake DeBrusk
  • Kurz: "Budget" Ivan Barbashev

Brinson Pasnichuk
  • Brandon Montour

John Leonard
  • Victor Olofsson

Joachim Blichfeld

• Alex Killorn

Jonathan Dahlen
  • Sam Gagner

Artemi Kniazev
  • Wheeler: Radim Simek
  • Kurz: "Budget" Ivan Provorov

Dillon Hamaliuk
  • Kevin Stenlund

Ivan Chekhovich

• Jordan Weal

*insert standard "this is depressing" whinging that was the bulk of the Athletic comment section about this article*
Personally I am not really depressed with that selection. Getting a Killorn or Connor Brown level player out of these guys would make me really happy.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Victor Oloffson's stats have been pretty darn impressive. I'd be very satisfied if Leonard reaches that comparison and hopefully exceeds those expectations.

Reactions: themelkman

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
any info wether Karlis Cukste will be signed? He just graduated ...

Highly doubt it. Maybe he gets a Cuda deal if they feel they need more blueline depth in the minors, but there's nothing in what he's done in college that screams "this guy has serious pro potential"

It looks like he's simply destined to be the last elimination from that 2012-2016 run where the Sharks went gaga using their late-round picks to select underwhelming lunchpail stay-at-home or fake "two-way" defender types (Mark Shoemaker, Cliff Watson, Gage Ausmus, Cukste, and to a lesser extent Adam Parsells and Alexis Vanier)

Of course, the last time I was this confident about the Sharks not signing a pending college graduate prospect, it was when I figured we'd hit the end of the line on former Langley Rivermen F Marcus Vela and he did get a Cuda contract and played like 8 or 9 games in the org before being shipped off to another club's system. So it shows what I know. :laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'd be absolutely thrilled if Chmelevski became Connor Brown.

I think Blichfeld has a bunch of room to grow, but Killorn as a comparable seems very optimistic.

I think it was intended in the piece that these are not necessarily meant as end-product duplications but more as stylistic comparables. So Blichfeld and Chmelevski are looked at as potentially/hopefully turning out to be players like Killorn and Brown but not necessarily that they're going to evolve into Killorn and Brown clones right down to the level of productivity and impact.

Also I think that Killorn isn't that high of a bar to clear. Before this season he'd mostly averaged about 15-16 goals and around 40 points a year. That's about in the Kevin Labanc ballpark in terms of productivity on average (Labanc's career totals average out to about 14 goals and 43 points per 82 games. Killorn's are 18 goals and 43 points, but that goal total is significantly inflated by his production this season before the stoppage. It's closer to 16 if you omit this season)

I think it's doable for Blichfeld to hit that threshold as a middle 6 winger with some potential for PP time at his peak

Reactions: Hobocop

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Also I think that Killorn isn't that high of a bar to clear. Before this season he'd mostly averaged about 15-16 goals and around 40 points a year. That's about in the Kevin Labanc ballpark in terms of productivity on average (Labanc's career totals average out to about 14 goals and 43 points per 82 games. Killorn's are 18 goals and 43 points, but that goal total is significantly inflated by his production this season before the stoppage. It's closer to 16 if you omit this season)

I think it's doable for Blichfeld to hit that threshold as a middle 6 winger with some potential for PP time at his peak

I suppose I was going off this year's version of Killorn. Career average Killorn does seem a little more realistic.

Blichfeld's the guy I really want to watch next season. He's got a lot of tools but needs to figure out how to put them together consistently. I don't want more three point games immediately followed by 0 point, -4 games. I'd be happy if he just became a Tommy Wingels-type third liner for us once he adds more size.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I suppose I was going off this year's version of Killorn. Career average Killorn does seem a little more realistic.

Blichfeld's the guy I really want to watch next season. He's got a lot of tools but needs to figure out how to put them together consistently. I don't want more three point games immediately followed by 0 point, -4 games. I'd be happy if he just became a Tommy Wingels-type third liner for us once he adds more size.
I don't think the style and physical play will ever be at Wingels level. Not exactly thrilling comp, but I see more of a Tyler Kennedy in Blichfeld than Wingels. If he can be the Kennedy of the early part of his career in Pittsburgh where he averages say 0.5 PPG, I would be thrilled given the draft position.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

He's not going to be Wingels if only because he's not the bundle of rambunctious energy that Wingels was. His game is more sedate and skill-focused than that. But his value is in his versatility. He got a lot of press for being a 50-goal man in his last WHL year, but before that I was always more impressed with his passing and ability to see the ice than I was with his shot. I can see him as a 15-25-40 type with the occasional shot at 20 goals if he gets to be a flex guy on PP2 (when I watched him with Portland he was bafflingly used on the point and it never seemed to work right. He could distribute from there, but because he's a wrister guy and he didn't wander down into the slot to where it'd be effective. So all he was left with was weak slappers that nobody feared)

What's going to be relatively imperative for him is getting a bit of mass on his frame. He's a string-bean and will easily be pushed around by NHL pros the way he wasn't in the WHL or even in the AHL

Reactions: themelkman

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
He's not going to be Wingels if only because he's not the bundle of rambunctious energy that Wingels was. His game is more sedate and skill-focused than that. But his value is in his versatility. He got a lot of press for being a 50-goal man in his last WHL year, but before that I was always more impressed with his passing and ability to see the ice than I was with his shot. I can see him as a 15-25-40 type with the occasional shot at 20 goals if he gets to be a flex guy on PP2 (when I watched him with Portland he was bafflingly used on the point and it never seemed to work right. He could distribute from there, but because he's a wrister guy and he didn't wander down into the slot to where it'd be effective. So all he was left with was weak slappers that nobody feared)

What's going to be relatively imperative for him is getting a bit of mass on his frame. He's a string-bean and will easily be pushed around by NHL pros the way he wasn't in the WHL or even in the AHL
Interesting that you were more impressed with his passing than his shot. In my viewings of him with the Cuda last year it was his shot that stood out as NHL level. The Cuda often used him in the middle on the power play where he could set up in the high slot and look to shoot. It’s good that he has playmaking ability too. I agree 100% about adding some bulk. He is tall and lanky. That gives him plenty of room to add muscle. I was at a Cuda game right after he got sent down from the Sharks. He was noticeably more physical than I had ever noticed before. He was going hard into the corners after the puck and finishing every check he could. I got the impression that the Sharks told him he needed to be more physical. Unfortunately, it was lass noticeable in subsequent viewings. Let’s hope he’s hitting the iron hard right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad