Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Oh yeah no doubt. I watched him lots in his overage season and it was great the changes I saw. However you do see lots of guys have crazy overage seasons and don’t go anywhere, so I don’t try to base too much on them
True, but a number of those guys are small and fast or physically just overpower the kids. Blich has had an NHL level shot since at least his second year of juniors and it got even better in his overage season. With him it's going to be all about motivation and coachability. I know the coaches here loved him, thought he was a great kid, he had just been used to doing the minimum since he was so much more naturally talented than most players prior to Juniors.

Reactions: themelkman

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
True, but a number of those guys are small and fast or physically just overpower the kids. Blich has had an NHL level shot since at least his second year of juniors and it got even better in his overage season. With him it's going to be all about motivation and coachability. I know the coaches here loved him, thought he was a great kid, he had just been used to doing the minimum since he was so much more naturally talented than most players prior to Juniors.
I had expected to be better than he was last season. He has the talent for sure and can play with an edge from time to time both of which are areas we need help with.

But he totally looked lost on the ice. I saw him many times trying to figure out where the play was going on and being totally stationary on the ice. If he can improve his on-ice awareness he will make an impact on the game.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Sharks Scout Tomi Kallio on Hatakka’s Progress, Ibragimov Playing in Finland

Some good info from Sheng in talking with Tomi Kallio about Hatakka and Sund, among others.

Also info I hadn't seen elsewhere, Ibragimov and Evan Weinger are in quarantine in Finland and will play for TPS Turku. Both will start skating soon:

Sheng Peng: Why Timur Ibragimov and Evan Weinger to Turku — what do they gain in particular from going there?
Tomi Kallio: Ibragimov hasn’t played high-end men’s hockey yet. I think he can take that step. Strong kid and he can really skate.

I think [Weinger’s] got a good shot at taking a big role here, play in all different situations.

Our rinks are wider than NHL or AHL. He can develop his skill and play with the puck [more].
Practice might be a bit of a shock, at least for Weinger. We want to develop the guys who come here. Many days, they will practice twice a day. Mornings will be more team practice; later on, it’s more individual skill. It will be good for both of those guys.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
We have some guys playing in the sochi hockey open for the U20 team. Trying to find info on this tourney is a nightmare but Kniazev and Spiridonov both played and the team is coached by Igor Larionov. The team that was supposted to be playing was the KHL team for Sochi, but it seems like they had a COVID outbreak and were mostly replaced with guys from their junior MHL team. The Russian U20s crushed them in both games, Kniazev had an assist in the 6-0 win and Spiridonov had an assist in the 10-0 win.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
How much do you think the Sharks paid the hosts to justify DW Jr.'s path to the head scout position?

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Team Russia U20 won all 4 games against a bit younger team 6:0, 10:0, 4:2, 7:1 in minor tournament. Our prospects:

Knyazev - 3 games, 5 (0+5) points, he looked very solid overall, mobile D with smooth skating. Played in second pair.
Spiridonov - 4 games, 3 (1+2) points, he played in 4th line, then in 2nd, and in 3rd. Often played on the wing.

It doesn`t mean much because of weak opponent but still. I hope they are both will earn slots on WJC. IMO, Knyazev may be in roster, but I`m not sure about Spiridonov.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
From Corey Pronman's U20 Camp Notes: "Kniazev was named the top defenseman in the Sochi open with five points in three games. It was some of the best hockey I’ve seen Kniazev play in the past few years. His skating and puck-moving ability made a difference when he was on the ice, and he created a lot of offense."

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

My annual look at San Jose's OHL prospects. Some good clips of Merkley's progression in there.

Happy to answer questions.

I've generally been under the impression that Merkley's biggest assets are his vision and hockey IQ. So when you say his vision and anticipation are underrated, are you saying that those are even better than reported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad