Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Last year, we went into the summer with 5 NHL defensemen (Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, Dillon, Simek) and had 2 notable incoming rookies (Ferraro and Sund). DW signed 2 cheap UFAs (Heed and Prout) to fill the 6 and 7 spots. Ferraro came in and took a job with the Sharks but it wasn’t handed to him.

This year, we have 5 NHL defensemen (Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, Simek, Ferraro) and 2 notable incoming rookies (Merkley and Pasichnuk). I expect DW to sign 2 cheap NHL defensemen just like he did last year. If Merkley plays with the Sharks, he will need to earn the spot.

Reactions: NiWa

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS

Translated from article:

"During Tuesday, Timrå IK was able to announce that Jonathan Dahlén will remain loyal to the club during the 2020/21 season. During a Facebook broadcast , he signed a new contract.

"It feels great fun that he has decided to play here next season," said sports manager Kent "Nubben" Norberg when the message came.

Dahlen:
- I want to stay here for another year to join SHL. There are no frills. We will do everything to go up in SHL. I trust "Nubben" to one hundred percent when he says it should be invested in going up. Then I want to be part of that journey.

The 22-year-old, who was loaned from the San Jose Sharks, had a powerful season with 36 goals and 77 points in 51 games. That made him one in the goal league and second in the Hockey Allsvenskans points after Modo's Jonathan Johnson .

After the season ended its snowy end, it was rumored that several SHL clubs were rumored in the young star, but also that the San Jose Sharks wanted him over to North America. Now, instead, it will be a continuation of the Hockey Allsvenskan."

WTF, can’t help but feel like this is a slap in the face of the sharks. I’m assuming DW did his homework before acquiring Dahlen and gave up a decent prospect to get him under the assumption he was just looking for a change of scenery and a better opportunity. Not only did he have a chance to crack this season’s roster but next seasons as well. It’s frustrating to see that getting Timra promoted is more important to him than making the NHL. Curious if DW will try to trade his RFA rights for another pick at the draft.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
WTF, can’t help but feel like this is a slap in the face of the sharks. I’m assuming DW did his homework before acquiring Dahlen and gave up a decent prospect to get him under the assumption he was just looking for a change of scenery and a better opportunity. Not only did he have a chance to crack this season’s roster but next seasons as well. It’s frustrating to see that getting Timra promoted is more important to him than making the NHL. Curious if DW will try to trade his RFA rights for another pick at the draft.
He is 22.

Victor Olofsson came over as 24 year old.

I didnt see buffalo panicing at this.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Translated from article:

"During Tuesday, Timrå IK was able to announce that Jonathan Dahlén will remain loyal to the club during the 2020/21 season. During a Facebook broadcast , he signed a new contract.

"It feels great fun that he has decided to play here next season," said sports manager Kent "Nubben" Norberg when the message came.

Dahlen:
- I want to stay here for another year to join SHL. There are no frills. We will do everything to go up in SHL. I trust "Nubben" to one hundred percent when he says it should be invested in going up. Then I want to be part of that journey.

The 22-year-old, who was loaned from the San Jose Sharks, had a powerful season with 36 goals and 77 points in 51 games. That made him one in the goal league and second in the Hockey Allsvenskans points after Modo's Jonathan Johnson .

After the season ended its snowy end, it was rumored that several SHL clubs were rumored in the young star, but also that the San Jose Sharks wanted him over to North America. Now, instead, it will be a continuation of the Hockey Allsvenskan."

After the season the Sharks just had I’m not surprised he’s staying for another year.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Ok that’s ridiculous. I get it he wanted to go home to get his love of the game back but clearly now he’s not interested in continuing his career and getting any better. He will not learn anything or progress in a league he already knows how to dominate and has to do little work in. How long do we hold his rights? Because if this is a method to not have to sign with us I’m going to be pissed

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
He is 22.

Victor Olofsson came over as 24 year old.

I didnt see buffalo panicing at this.
I get that but DW jr has come out publicly and stated they had hoped to get him in some games at the end of this season and even if that couldn’t have happened you know they wanted him back in NA this upcoming season.

Reactions: themelkman

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Ok that’s ridiculous. I get it he wanted to go home to get his love of the game back but clearly now he’s not interested in continuing his career and getting any better. He will not learn anything or progress in a league he already knows how to dominate and has to do little work in. How long do we hold his rights? Because if this is a method to not have to sign with us I’m going to be pissed

I'd feel different if Timra had gotten promoted this season, but nobody did at all, so I don't see how this next season is going to help his development. He already dominated this league last year. Even if he just signed with a team in the SHL I'd have been fine with that. It's at least a step forward.

I'm not sure we qualify him this summer. It feels like the whole Noah Rod thing all over again, he doesn't seem like he wants to play in North America unless he's assured a spot at the highest level, but also doesn't seem interested in doing anything to prove that he deserves that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'd feel different if Timra had gotten promoted this season, but nobody did at all, so I don't see how this next season is going to help his development. He already dominated this league last year. Even if he just signed with a team in the SHL I'd have been fine with that. It's at least a step forward.

I'm not sure we qualify him this summer. It feels like the whole Noah Rod thing all over again, he doesn't seem like he wants to play in North America unless he's assured a spot at the highest level, but also doesn't seem interested in doing anything to prove that he deserves that.
I think we do qualify. At the very least we should trade his rights. It sounds like the org still likes him and hopefully someday he’s worth something

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think we do qualify. At the very least we should trade his rights. It sounds like the org still likes him and hopefully someday he’s worth something
Why trade his rights? They’re likely not worth squat so in a risk/reward world, you’re giving up the asset with the most potential upside. Buy low, sell high. Not the opposite.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I said at the very least. The poster I responded too wanted to just let him go to UFA

I didn't say I wanted to, I said I wasn't sure if we would. Him and his agent are just striking me as a bit of a headache to deal with, with what little info I have.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Why is everyone freakin out?? Let the man play over there another year and do what he feels is best for him and his career. He obviously feels a sense of loyalty and leadership in that organization and that's not a bad thing imo. Would you rather DW and Co. get disgruntled and rush him over and have him not even want to be here? No. I think you give the player some breathing room and they'll appreciate it and hopefully reward the Sharks in the long run.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Why is everyone freakin out?? Let the man play over there another year and do what he feels is best for him and his career. He obviously feels a sense of loyalty and leadership in that organization and that's not a bad thing imo. Would you rather DW and Co. get disgruntled and rush him over and have him not even want to be here? No. I think you give the player some breathing room and they'll appreciate it and hopefully reward the Sharks in the long run.
Or maybe he just stays in Sweden for the next five years, it’s pretty easy to come up with reasons to stay home. I guess we just have to trust Doug and see what happens

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Yes. His goal is to carry them to a promotion to the SHL. The funny thing is he already did it the year before he came to NA, but without him and Petterson the team sucked and was relegated again.
And that’s my concern. What If he helps them get promoted again then comes over and doesn’t make the team out of camp? He plays the full year in the AHL and Timra sucks and gets relegated. Does he stay in San Jose and continue to try and make the Sharks or does he bolt back to Sweden?

Last edited:

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
And that’s my concern. What If he helps them get promoted again then comes over and doesn’t make the team out of camp? He plays the full year in the AHL and Timra sucks and gets relegated. Does he stay in San Jose and continue to try and make the Sharks or does he bolt back to Sweden?
If you're DW and staff you need definite reassurances. I have a good feeling the communication between both sides is probably pretty healthy. He knows how highly we feel about him and playing in SJ with Karlsson would seem to be a strong draw.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Dahlen will not develop in second Swedish league. One year is ok, but not two. Or one more year in Swedish top league would be good, he could improve himself on next level but not in second league. It’s very bad for Sharks. I wasn’t on Dahlen’s hype train during this season because he played in weak league and all that records mean nothing for NHL level. But he is promising prospect and I was waiting for him in next season and his decision is so sad. Probably he has some problems with DW or organization. As I remember Canucks had problems too with him that’s why they get rid of him. Of course he is just 22, but he will waste time in weak league

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Yegor Spiridonov was traded to SKA St. Petersburg. SKA just wanted to clear cap space and it’s difficult to say is it good or bad for him.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yegor Spiridonov was traded to SKA St. Petersburg. SKA just wanted to clear cap space and it’s difficult to say is it good or bad for him.
I like it. The sharks have been seriously collecting SKA players recently. The only issue is the strength of the team. SKA is usally the best so I don’t like the odds of Spiri getting good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad