Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I can't tell if it's just juniors or if he's creating a lot of it but he always has so much more room to make plays than he really should have. But he also doesn't need much room to make the same exact play anyways.
He also kind of already showed he can make those plays against professional players in the preseason. All the vision, accuracy, and touch were on display, making unique passes and making it look easy.

Sure, it was preseason, but it is much closer to NHL than to Juniors.

Physicality is the last major hurdle, though. Getting a concussion in his only preseason game is scary...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Not since the mid-60s has size been less of an issue in the NHL. At this point, the greatest test for Merkley will be him finding ways to be dynamic in the much better league.

Reactions: hohosaregood

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Not since the mid-60s has size been less of an issue in the NHL. At this point, the greatest test for Merkley will be him finding ways to be dynamic in the much better league.
Just to clarify, I'm not worried about getting bullied off the puck, but concussions in particular can ruin careers (and more).

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So this was the most hopeful article IMO. 6' 183lbs right now and is training every day. if he hits 185 to 190 I don't know that playing in the AHL will do him much good. Will high minutes in the AHL help him more than being around Burns, Vlasic, Simek, Ferraro everyday and facing NHL competition? Bench him on occasion, Give him 10 min a night, PP2, limit his PK minutes in the beginning... Take the lumps early in the season and by mid season he could be a terror out there on the 3rd pair. I think he's more likely to flourish if he isn't the big dog on the team. My concern with him was always his small frame, bird body. Sounds like he's rectifying that. This is all assuming his attitude issues are a thing of the past. Honestly he's young and ending puberty which could be a huge change. It's a time in many peoples lives where you do nothing but over react emotionally and make bad decisions.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
he also looks small which is kind of scary

He’s below league average by 2 inches. He’s the same height as Quick and 2 inches taller than Tim Thomas. He could fill out a little bit but he’s already the same weight as Marc Andre Fleury while being 1 inch shorter.

Shorter guys like Raanta, Khudobin, and Saros have had success as well. I think he can make up for his lack of height with his quickness and sound positioning.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He’s below league average by 2 inches. He’s the same height as Quick and 2 inches taller than Tim Thomas. He could fill out a little bit but he’s already the same weight as Marc Andre Fleury while being 1 inch shorter.

Shorter guys like Raanta, Khudobin, and Saros have had success as well. I think he can make up for his lack of height with his quickness and sound positioning.

The way San Jose plays defense, a goalie who relies on quickness may be better than a giant who counts on heavily structured defense to take away certain cross-ice passes. We're believers in high danger chances all over the place- it's like a shooting gallery.

I will say, while size was the first thing to standout, I feel very lucky we've brought him into the fold. I'd be in favor of us signing another boom/bust from Europe pronto.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So this was the most hopeful article IMO. 6' 183lbs right now and is training every day. if he hits 185 to 190 I don't know that playing in the AHL will do him much good. Will high minutes in the AHL help him more than being around Burns, Vlasic, Simek, Ferraro everyday and facing NHL competition? Bench him on occasion, Give him 10 min a night, PP2, limit his PK minutes in the beginning... Take the lumps early in the season and by mid season he could be a terror out there on the 3rd pair. I think he's more likely to flourish if he isn't the big dog on the team. My concern with him was always his small frame, bird body. Sounds like he's rectifying that. This is all assuming his attitude issues are a thing of the past. Honestly he's young and ending puberty which could be a huge change. It's a time in many peoples lives where you do nothing but over react emotionally and make bad decisions.
His need for the AHL has more to do with demonstrating he can play defense and handle not having as much time and space than it does sheer size. He’s not going to see any PP time in the NHL either barring a trade of Burns so that’s an unnecessary stunt to his development given he’s an offensive defenseman.

I also just don’t see a reason to run your entire right side with guys that sacrifice defense for offense if the goal is to compete this year. Need someone that can play on the PK and play in their own end at ES.

Reactions: themelkman

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
His need for the AHL has more to do with demonstrating he can play defense and handle not having as much time and space than it does sheer size. He’s not going to see any PP time in the NHL either barring a trade of Burns so that’s an unnecessary stunt to his development given he’s an offensive defenseman.

I also just don’t see a reason to run your entire right side with guys that sacrifice defense for offense if the goal is to compete this year. Need someone that can play on the PK and play in their own end at ES.

I'm not convinced we couldn't find a place for Merkley with either Burns or Karlsson on one of the power plays. Yes, he's a shot and a d-man, but he'd probably be in our top 10 offensive players pretty quickly. Kane, Hertl, Couture, Meier, Labanc, Thornton, Burns, Karlsson, and...Marleau/Gregor? I can see playing Burns and Karlsson with four forwards when your D choice is Vlasic or Ferraro. I'm not entirely sure I feel the same if we had Merkley.

If Ferraro can step into the top 4, I think a Simek-Merkley pair would be decently balanced, though I think that's still another year away.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
More offensive d men depth could set up something that the league hasn't actually seen before. In theory, Burns and Karlsson should already be enough to do this, as they both easily play upwards of 25 minutes a night when healthy and focused, but that has not happened consistently.

But, you can no longer match up against the impact that they have on the game. The potential that a team having to account for their breakout pass ability for 60 minutes is huge. 4th liners and 3rd pairing guys going against the level of talent that those 3 have on every shift has the potential to make opponents look silly on every play. Of course, it is contingent on all 3 of them being healthy and focused, but realistically, the Sharks being competitive is already contingent on Burns and Karlsson being healthy and playing well, so that doesn't change much.

I just think Merkley is too talented to not be in the NHL very quickly.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Burns and ek65 are going to get a ton of minutes. More so than typical D-men. It's the perfect sheltered role for Merk. He's going to learn a lot more about how to play from the NHL staff and watching and learning from NHL d-men. Look I've never been an advocate for the guy. I always thought he was another season or more away but a lot of that was due to the immaturity of his mind and especially his body. His skill level is insane. He doesn't need to be a shut down guy, he just needs to be adequate. His ability to pass would be top 5 on the team right now if not higher. It probably is better to make him earn the NHL spot by playing some AHL games but that would be all he learns down there... patience. Pretty sure the Kings won a cup or 2 with offensive d-men on one side of all 3 pairs. No idea if any were rookies but this kids vision in a unique situation. If he stayed up he would definitely get PP2 time. Burns and EK65 will be on PP1.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I don’t like the idea of Merkley on the third pair, simply because I feel like we need someone who’s focused on defense there to put out at dangerous starts in our Zone. Playing Merkley in our zone could be horrendous, and taking away time from Burns or EK in the O zone will decrease what they can do for us.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Karlsson a QB and Burns is a trigger. I think it is unlikely that Merkley would have a PP role next season, but could QB the 2nd unit in time.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Maybe see how he does with a preseason audition like we did with Ferraro. Ferraro didn’t give the sharks a choice to send him back down with how he performed. See if Merkley can do the same. If they find that he has to refine his defensive game down with the Cuda then so be it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Melnichuk highlights. His agility and quickness is the first thing that jumps out to me. Also, his positioning looks great. Hopefully he’ll be ready for the NHL in a year or two.

I'm not crazy about his highlights. He looks tiny (but he isn't) and seems out of position a lot. Maybe that's his style though; quickly flicking positions.

Still, I'm glad we signed him. I'll take anyone with talent, which he obviously has.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I'm not crazy about his highlights. He looks tiny (but he isn't) and seems out of position a lot. Maybe that's his style though; quickly flicking positions.

Still, I'm glad we signed him. I'll take anyone with talent, which he obviously has.

Yeah I think we just need some competition at that position right now. Personally, I think his positioning is fine but as another poster pointed out, he plays too deep in his crease. He kind of reminds me of Tukka Rask in those highlights.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Maybe see how he does with a preseason audition like we did with Ferraro. Ferraro didn’t give the sharks a choice to send him back down with how he performed. See if Merkley can do the same. If they find that he has to refine his defensive game down with the Cuda then so be it.
I think the #6D spot is wide open. Injuries and trade aside EK65, Burns, Vlasic, Ferraro and Simek are guaranteed spots. I just don't think there is anyone of the roster who I like as a #6. If Merkley can be just average defensively, he would be a massive asset on that 3rd pairing.

Reactions: WSS11

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I think the #6D spot is wide open. Injuries and trade aside EK65, Burns, Vlasic, Ferraro and Simek are guaranteed spots. I just don't think there is anyone of the roster who I like as a #6. If Merkley can be just average defensively, he would be a massive asset on that 3rd pairing.

I'd rather have Merkley there than someone like Middleton.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

I'd rather have Merkley there than someone like Middleton.

I think the spot is there for Merkley or Pasichnuk to win, and if either show anything in preseason they will get it, because yeah, unless there is a signing, one of the AHLers who got shots this year will likely have to go in.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

Translated from article:

"During Tuesday, Timrå IK was able to announce that Jonathan Dahlén will remain loyal to the club during the 2020/21 season. During a Facebook broadcast , he signed a new contract.

"It feels great fun that he has decided to play here next season," said sports manager Kent "Nubben" Norberg when the message came.

Dahlen:
- I want to stay here for another year to join SHL. There are no frills. We will do everything to go up in SHL. I trust "Nubben" to one hundred percent when he says it should be invested in going up. Then I want to be part of that journey.

The 22-year-old, who was loaned from the San Jose Sharks, had a powerful season with 36 goals and 77 points in 51 games. That made him one in the goal league and second in the Hockey Allsvenskans points after Modo's Jonathan Johnson .

After the season ended its snowy end, it was rumored that several SHL clubs were rumored in the young star, but also that the San Jose Sharks wanted him over to North America. Now, instead, it will be a continuation of the Hockey Allsvenskan."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->