Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I can definitely see Leonard playing with us if his season finishes before ours. But I just don't know Dahlen's frame of mind. Or if he even wants to come back to the NHL.
I would hope so, I can’t imagine he’s lost all interest in playing in the NHL and would hope the sharks did their due diligence before acquiring him. He’s also got a legit chance to step right into the NHL lineup at this point as the Sharks are starved for offence

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I would hope so, I can’t imagine he’s lost all interest in playing in the NHL and would hope the sharks did their due diligence before acquiring him. He’s also got a legit chance to step right into the NHL lineup at this point as the Sharks are starved for offence
You're way overestimating Leonard's talent. He is a guy with middle 6 ceiling if EVERYTHING goes right for him. More likely a 3/4 tweener in a mold similar to Gregor.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
You're way overestimating Leonard's talent. He is a guy with middle 6 ceiling if EVERYTHING goes right for him. More likely a 3/4 tweener in a mold similar to Gregor.

Leonard is projected to be much better than Gregor.

When you score that many goals in the NCAA and have wheels like that you have a shot at being a 1st liner. That said it is very unlikely he hits that

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Leonard's had really strong shot generation metrics in every single year of college so far. I'm a little uncertain about how this year's Cy Young goal scoring success will translate but I feel good predicting that he'll be a solid middle 6 player for us.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

wrong...if everything goes right he could be a 30+ goal scorer. More likely things won’t go perfectly and he develops into a skilled 3rd liner who can jump up when needed. I have high hopes for his game.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Leonard's had really strong shot generation metrics in every single year of college so far. I'm a little uncertain about how this year's Cy Young goal scoring success will translate but I feel good predicting that he'll be a solid middle 6 player for us.

UMass has a lot of talent but not many finishers. His assist totals were higher other seasons.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Leonard is projected to be much better than Gregor.

When you score that many goals in the NCAA and have wheels like that you have a shot at being a 1st liner. That said it is very unlikely he hits that
One of these days, this fanbase will stop overrating it’s 6th round draft picks and projecting them as top 6 players. Leonard is a fine player, but middle 6 is a best case scenario most likely. Guys like Gambrell and Gregor have equal or better speed and better scoring numbers during their junior/NCAA days (on top of better draft pedigree) and are struggling to find their way in the NHL as anything more than 4th liners.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
One of these days, this fanbase will stop overrating it’s 6th round draft picks and projecting them as top 6 players. Leonard is a fine player, but middle 6 is a best case scenario most likely. Guys like Gambrell and Gregor have equal or better speed and better scoring numbers during their junior/NCAA days (on top of better draft pedigree) and are struggling to find their way in the NHL as anything more than 4th liners.
hence, be happy if he makes the nhl

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Gambrell was the biggest passenger on that Denver team. He didn’t drive play at all. Terry and Borgstrom did. Leonard at least drives play. I’m not saying that Leonard is a surefire top 6 guy, but I think he’s got a better chance at success than Gambrell.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Which prospect do you guys see making an impact with the Barracuda / Sharks next year? Obviously Merkley / Leonard (if he is signed) are going to get a shot. Who else? Can any current players on the Cuda take thier game to the next level? Thanks!

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Which prospect do you guys see making an impact with the Barracuda / Sharks next year? Obviously Merkley / Leonard (if he is signed) are going to get a shot. Who else? Can any current players on the Cuda take thier game to the next level? Thanks!
I think it’s about time for Dahlen if it’s going to happen. If he can’t put it together in the NHL/AHL next year that’s gonna be it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Gambrell was the biggest passenger on that Denver team. He didn’t drive play at all. Terry and Borgstrom did. Leonard at least drives play. I’m not saying that Leonard is a surefire top 6 guy, but I think he’s got a better chance at success than Gambrell.

I feel like every time a hyped prospect flames out, there is widespread retrodiction about how that hype was a mirage, and how the currently hot prospect is actually a great one.

On another note, it is interesting looking at DW's comments post-Goodrow trade. He feels that Goodrow can be replaced internally. Isn't that the same bet he made last year? Depth NHLers don't grow on trees.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Gambrell played on entirely different lines as Borgstrom and Terry so not sure that your comment there is overly accurate.

Reactions: Patty Ice

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I feel like every time a hyped prospect flames out, there is widespread retrodiction about how that hype was a mirage, and how the currently hot prospect is actually a great one.

On another note, it is interesting looking at DW's comments post-Goodrow trade. He feels that Goodrow can be replaced internally. Isn't that the same bet he made last year? Depth NHLers don't grow on trees.
Huge difference in depth NHLers playing complimentary roles on the 4th line and trying to rely on rookies to make up two spots in the top 9 and two spots in the 4th line. Depth forwards in the form of 4th liners is not an issue for this team/organization right now. It is going to be very easy to find a 4th line out of the group of Gregor, Kellman, True, Gambrell, Bergmann, Noesen, etc. Finding the 4 new top 9 forwards (Jumbo isn't one anymore) is the task ahead of DW. You have Kane, Meier, Couture, Hertl, and Labanc as 5 pillars of the top 9. Now have to find a 3C, two RW, and a LW via UFA, trade, and internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad