Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
None of that is good news, but its all pretty expected. I dont think well get any top 6 forwards out of the cuda, but I could see Gregor, Blich and Chemelevski being good bottom sixers in the future

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Merkley is still playing great. He’s on pace for 85 points in 63 games. He was on pace for 80 a handful of games ago, so it looks like he’s getting better as the season goes on too.
Maybe he can crack 90 points if he keeps up his recent play.

19 points in his last 10 games, and 14 of those are primary points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
A lot of NHL writers and scouts seem to think we are bottom 2 in the league in prospects. Normally I'm dubious of writers opinions on west coast stuff, but I feel like you can't argue with them on this. We don't seem to have any top 4 D, top 6 F coming out side of maybe Merkeley.

I mean, the proof is in the pudding on this one. We came into this season with a seriously depleted forward group, that seriously depleted forward group was further depleted by injuries to our top-2 centers, and we still have not had one forward prospect stick in the NHL. The Barracuda are dead last in the AHL in points and points percentage. How can you possibly look at that information and then conclude that we have a solid prospect pool?

Reactions: Reggae Shark

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I mean, the proof is in the pudding on this one. We came into this season with a seriously depleted forward group, that seriously depleted forward group was further depleted by injuries to our top-2 centers, and we still have not had one forward prospect stick in the NHL. The Barracuda are dead last in the AHL in points and points percentage. How can you possibly look at that information and then conclude that we have a solid prospect pool?
Eh I think Kellman has stuck pretty well. Problem is hes 25 and likely to just be what he is at this point

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Eh I think Kellman has stuck pretty well. Problem is hes 25 and likely to just be what he is at this point

I do agree that Kellman has done well here, but he didn’t even make it here until what, the 40 game mark? And then got sent down at least once? He’s only played 20 games.

I’m talking more so about guys sticking for the entirety of the season. Given the opportunities that were available, I think a solid forward prospect would’ve been able to make it up to the NHL pretty early in the season and not look back.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
That's all a bunch of stuff we already knew. The Cuda aren't a very good team and we don't have any high end prospects besides Merkley because we haven't had many 1st picks stick. Meier and Merkley. Norris is gone, Goldobin is gone, Mueller, all swings and misses.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
This shouldn’t be surprising or major news to anyone that follows the Sharks. What would be shocking is if people believed and ranked the Sharks prospect pool in the top half of the league. This is what happens when you’re a successful team that has a long run of being in the playoffs and a SC contender. You don’t have high picks, you move out your quality assets (high picks and prospects) to improve your team at the TDL and in big summer moves.

I do expect some prospects to have a positive impact on the big club next season in the bottom 6. And I expect the team’s prospect pool to take a step forward in the next 2-3 years.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
That's all a bunch of stuff we already knew. The Cuda aren't a very good team and we don't have any high end prospects besides Merkley because we haven't had many 1st picks stick. Meier and Merkley. Norris is gone, Goldobin is gone, Mueller, all swings and misses.

It is, but the article does a good job of explaining why exactly the usual board favorites on the Barracuda aren't tearing up the AHL. There's more info there than just "prospects=bad." Although that is the general gist of it. :laugh:

I really do think DW thought we had more NHL-ready talent coming up and that's why he didn't bother adding in the offseason, but these guys just aren't anywhere close to that.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This shouldn’t be surprising or major news to anyone that follows the Sharks. What would be shocking is if people believed and ranked the Sharks prospect pool in the top half of the league. This is what happens when you’re a successful team that has a long run of being in the playoffs and a SC contender. You don’t have high picks, you move out your quality assets (high picks and prospects) to improve your team at the TDL and in big summer moves.

I do expect some prospects to have a positive impact on the big club next season in the bottom 6. And I expect the team’s prospect pool to take a step forward in the next 2-3 years.
We need to hit on a draft pick here. Im hoping doug does well with our second or whatever pick he trades up for

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That article is a depressing read. It does seem like we have some decent bottom-6 players in the making but thats pretty much it. This is really not much of a surprise this year considering the forward a lot of us had bet on, in Chekhovich, has pretty much fallen flat on his face. Our top prospect(s) right now are probably Merkley, Dahlen and Leonard, all of whom are not on the Cuda this year.

It sucks because this years draft is not doing much to restock the team in high-end talent. We are going to end up with no 1st round pick or at best a late 1st round pick which means we are talking of talent that may work out 2-3 years after the draft. DW has already said he is not going to tank/rebuild but I really don't know how he ends to stock up on cheap ELC/RFA talent on this team. When every year seems to be 'the last hurrah' for an aging core with no plan to get young top-end talent, it does rather seem that the team is not going anywhere.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
We need to hit on a draft pick here. Im hoping doug does well with our second or whatever pick he trades up for
Agreed. It’s time for their draft luck to hopefully change. The Sharks would probably be in a much better situation if DW and Burke had hit on someone like Aho instead of Roy, or Pasta instead of trading back for Goldobin.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Welp, I was one of the only persons high on Norris so I'm pretty bummed that he's not lighting it up for the Cuda but then it's like would I rather have EK65 or Josh Norris. Idk

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Article is spot on, but here's the problem with the article, and it has nothing to do with the analysis of the players. Doug does not build his core through the draft excluding select 1st round picks. (I define core as top 2/3d and 4 top 6 forwards.) Doug fills out his team with drafted players and to a lesser degree Euro UFAs. So yeah, the prospect pool is garbage, but Doug has mastered bartering crap for gold. He views prospects and picks as currency first. Which is why they draft high floor low ceiling players. You have to be able to sell your prospects on the idea that they could at the very least play in the NHL. And given that the Sharks draft late, they have very few prospects with any draft pedigree. Can't sell a boom or bust late round prospect that fizzled out in juniors with no draft pedigree. That's why he was able to get more than expected for Mueller, and something for Goldobin. Either of those guys weren't taken in the 1st round and they would have gotten f*** all. Doug is a master of a deception by getting other GMs to see what he wants them to see in trade negotiations. Unfortunately for Doug, the biggest flaw in his way of doing things is, if a few things go wrong, there are no reinforcements. That's what was exposed this year, and it's been so so bad. I'll be curious to see if he can trade his way out of this. I expect him to go big after Taylor Hall too. The draft though, and the prospects, with the exception of Merkley, meh.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Article is spot on, but here's the problem with the article, and it has nothing to do with the analysis of the players. Doug does not build his core through the draft excluding select 1st round picks. (I define core as top 2/3d and 4 top 6 forwards.) Doug fills out his team with drafted players and to a lesser degree Euro UFAs. So yeah, the prospect pool is garbage, but Doug has mastered bartering crap for gold. He views prospects and picks as currency first. Which is why they draft high floor low ceiling players. You have to be able to sell your prospects on the idea that they could at the very least play in the NHL. And given that the Sharks draft late, they have very few prospects with any draft pedigree. Can't sell a boom or bust late round prospect that fizzled out in juniors with no draft pedigree. That's why he was able to get more than expected for Mueller, and something for Goldobin. Either of those guys weren't taken in the 1st round and they would have gotten f*ck all. Doug is a master of a deception by getting other GMs to see what he wants them to see in trade negotiations. Unfortunately for Doug, the biggest flaw in his way of doing things is, if a few things go wrong, there are no reinforcements. That's what was exposed this year, and it's been so so bad. I'll be curious to see if he can trade his way out of this. I expect him to go big after Taylor Hall too. The draft though, and the prospects, with the exception of Merkley, meh.

Interesting post, lots of insights. When you look at Kane and Karlsson, DW went for the best players becoming available. But were these players the best fit for the team at that moment? Drafting for them just by the reason that they become available? What is the concept?
Sharks had always lots of skill but have a history of being soft and injury prone in the playoffs. Going for Ryan O' Reilly instead of Evander Kane would have probably the better idea. Kane was really a non factor, on the scoresheet and physical too.
Why adding another defensivly fragile norris trophy winner in Karlsson when you have Burns who
has the same problems in the D-Zone. An elite two way defender with size and strength would have gotten us closer to the cup, then and now.
The sharks were lucky to knock out vegas. They had no buisness winning that series. They were physically outplayed by Vegas and the Blues.
I really like DW for the ability to make trades for the right price, but has he an idea to come out of the west without any major impact injuries? Thats were you have trade for players that can withstand the toughness of four long playoff series.
Another reason the sharks not getting the right players is free agency. Good UFAs don't come to San Jose. That's sad and drafting becomes even more important. They have to hit more 1st rounders to become more independent when it comes to trades. It also helps to waste no 1st rounder for a player like Martin Jones.
The sharks were very fortunate drafting players like Pavelski or Clowe, intersteing to see if this trend continues.
Adding a player like Hall? Very skilled yes. But injury prone too. Put that into context with Hertls injury history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad