Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks.

Is 13 points in 35 games in the VHL good for a 19 year old? I am really interested to see if either Spiridonov or Ibragimov get any time in the KHL next season.
I think they're tracking alright but we're gonna need more time to make any kind of determination on them but I would say it's a good sign that they're mainly playing against men at this point. If they were blue chip prospects, they'd probably be in the KHL by now. But yea, ideally they take a step forward and get playing time in the KHL next year.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think they're tracking alright but we're gonna need more time to make any kind of determination on them but I would say it's a good sign that they're mainly playing against men at this point. If they were blue chip prospects, they'd probably be in the KHL by now. But yea, ideally they take a step forward and get playing time in the KHL next year.
Yeah at the start of the year I got roasted by Sheng Peng for saying they hopefully would get games in the K this year

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Beaut of some passes from Merks. His edge work, passing, and vision are eerily similar of Erik Karlsson

Article on Merkley with quotes from his coach and teammates

Not gunna lie, it is super nice to have a totally positive article about Merkley after the last few years. Not a single word in that article about attitude, enigmatic player etc. Just stud PP QB and his teammates and coach praising his smarts and ability.

Always liked the kid, I really hope he pans out

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Not gunna lie, it is super nice to have a totally positive article about Merkley after the last few years. Not a single word in that article about attitude, enigmatic player etc. Just stud PP QB and his teammates and coach praising his smarts and ability.

Totally agree. A much needed bright spot. If he can continue building off of these positives, he’ll be the Sharks’ first true blue chip prospect in quite a while.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Absolutely. People have been shitting on him since we drafted him. Because of attitude/character issues. In an 18 year old. Its like people never grow up.

My biggest concerns with him when we drafted him were how we would develop defensively and also him bulking up a bit for the NHL. I think the former is coming along fine, the latter I am not sure.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Beaut of some passes from Merks. His edge work, passing, and vision are eerily similar of Erik Karlsson

Article on Merkley with quotes from his coach and teammates

that second assist impresses me so much. having seen the whole clip, the read he makes to pick off the pass and the subsequent wheeling around to make time and space AND then the actual pass is just amazing.

Reactions: TheWayToRefJose

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I kinda hope we dont unless we are getting someone on Timos level back. Like a 30 goal scorer
I’m really against trading him at this point. This is the first prospect we’ve had with first line/first pairing potential since Timo, and before that, Hertl. It’s rare for us to have a player like him available when we usually pick in the draft and he appears to be coming along as hoped.

From all accounts of those who’ve watched him this year, he’s been great on and off the ice and way exceeded everyone’s expectations.

Reactions: themelkman

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I’m really against trading him at this point. This is the first prospect we’ve had with first line/first pairing potential since Timo, and before that, Hertl. It’s rare for us to have a player like him available when we usually pick in the draft and he appears to be coming along as hoped.

From all accounts of those who’ve watched him this year, he’s been great on and off the ice and way exceeded everyone’s expectations.

I am really against trading him because we are building a team (currently) around the idea of having two stud offensive defensman, and either Burns or Karlsson could fall from grace at any point in the next couple years, if we assume Burns is just having a down year and has not already started his decline, so we need Merkley to fill those shoes.

No idea if he will ever be able to fill those shoes, but he is the best shot we have at doing so.

Also, from a value standpoint, I think he will the make the NHL soon, and will be worth more having proved the ability to make the NHL than just being a prospect racking up points in the minors.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I am really against trading him because we are building a team (currently) around the idea of having two stud offensive defensman, and either Burns or Karlsson could fall from grace at any point in the next couple years, if we assume Burns is just having a down year and has not already started his decline, so we need Merkley to fill those shoes.

No idea if he will ever be able to fill those shoes, but he is the best shot we have at doing so.

Also, from a value standpoint, I think he will the make the NHL soon, and will be worth more having proved the ability to make the NHL than just being a prospect racking up points in the minors.
Biggest thing is simply that something has to give. Can’t build a team with Karlsson-Burns-Merkley down the right side. Out of those 3, someone has to go. Don’t really care who it is at this point.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Where has any team ever done that and been successful? How in the world does it work having the entire right side of your defense as a complete defensive liability for 60 minutes every single game? It’s not hard to see that is an absolute recipe for disaster.

The same people that are clamoring for this are the same people that bitch and moan every time Burns or Karlsson make a bad pinch or give the puck away. Being an offensive D-Man is give and take that comes with high risk and reward. At some point, you have to mix that style with stability as well.

Reactions: Alaskanice

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Biggest thing is simply that something has to give. Can’t build a team with Karlsson-Burns-Merkley down the right side. Out of those 3, someone has to go. Don’t really care who it is at this point.

I do not fully agree with you that we cant build a team with those three on the right side.

However if Merkley makes it, and is needing more ice time because he reaches or is approaching his potential, yet both Burns and Karlsson are still performing up to expectations, then yeah someone will need to go.

Yet even though I am pretty high on Merkley, I still don't see that situation above occurring for at least a couple years unless Merkley hits the NHL running. He will probably need a few years of experience, aging, growing etc before he really makes that decision necessary. Until then he will hopefully just be a better, cheaper, Heed.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Where has any team ever done that and been successful? How in the world does it work having the entire right side of your defense as a complete defensive liability for 60 minutes every single game? It’s not hard to see that is an absolute recipe for disaster.

The same people that are clamoring for this are the same people that bitch and moan every time Burns or Karlsson make a bad pinch or give the puck away. Being an offensive D-Man is give and take that comes with high risk and reward. At some point, you have to mix that style with stability as well.
The stability is in the other side and structure that allows it to work. Teams generally have never been able to put a dcore like that together. Burns is getting old, his minutes need to start going down to keep him healthy. This actually does work if you structure the team around it

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The Avs are basically set to have a blueline like that with Makar, Girard, Byram, and Timmins all on their way up.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The fact that Leonard is producing despite the loss of Makar from that roster is a big positive. I was curious to see if his production took a hit since Makar left for the NHL. Does not appear to be the case so far.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad