Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The funny thing about Merkley is that he is tied for the points lead on his team and a respectable +4 (7th). I won't claim to have watched him play but I just don't think he is as defensively inept as a lot of people make him to be.

He’s pretty defensively inept. He’s just that good offensively. Another way to look at it is that he’s amazing offensively but is still only +4.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
It can go either way. He really needs a good mentor to motivate him. Someone like Burns or Karlsson would have been great but he is not getting any such player in the juniors.
I think because of this very reason he might have a chance at making the Sharks next year. Another year beating up on the OHL or learning from guys the pros first hand?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
He’s pretty defensively inept. He’s just that good offensively. Another way to look at it is that he’s amazing offensively but is still only +4.
I can't say I've watched, but from everything I've heard/read he's gotten better at D. And he gets most of his points on thePP, which doesn't affect plus/minus.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Statistically, the Sharks's 2018 class (including Kotkov) is looking very good. Can't say the same for the 2017 class...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I like kotkov his combination of size youth and skill seems promising
He is only PPG in the Q but is leading his team in points by a few points. Though the reason he may be also doing so well is because of his size. He is a pretty big guy and could potentially do well in the Q just on the basis of that.

I think he was a good signing as it did not cost us anything but honestly hard to tell how he would pan out till we see him in the pros.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ryan Merkley ranks 11th in OHL scoring, and 1st among defensemen and 18 year olds. (There is a 17 year old with more points though) He also missed a few games early in the season.

Chmelevski is tied with him for 11th.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Canada has fallen into the old habits of thinking heart and soul players will win them golds every year.

They continue to leave the more talented kids at home so they can be a hard working group with barely any skill.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Canada has fallen into the old habits of thinking heart and soul players will win them golds every year.

They continue to leave the more talented kids at home so they can be a hard-working group with barely any skill.

To be fair to Canada, they use to do the trope of just loading all the most talented players on one team, and they didn't have much success, especially at the higher levels. They went in the other direction and had issues as well...they've struck a very good balance these past few years, though.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
To be fair to Canada, they use to do the trope of just loading all the most talented players on one team, and they didn't have much success, especially at the higher levels. They went in the other direction and had issues as well...they've struck a very good balance these past few years, though.

3 of the past 6 years they haven't even medaled. And in another 1 of those 6 finished 3rd which is just as bad as not medaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad