Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I will never understand Ryan Merkley. Has all the talent in the world but here is his effort late in the 3rd period on what ended up being the game winning goal last night....

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I will never understand Ryan Merkley. Has all the talent in the world but here is his effort late in the 3rd period on what ended up being the game winning goal last night....

It's not a good look but based on how the rest of his teammates barely moved, I'm gonna guess that it was a long PK shift and they're all dead tired.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It's not a good look but based on how the rest of his teammates barely moved, I'm gonna guess that it was a long PK shift and they're all dead tired.

Yeah without context its harder to comment, however I agree with your observation.

Merkley is getting hate, look at 22. He just stands next to his goalie, and slowly takes a knee in the most feeble of attempts to stop the pass. The forwards up high a barely moving as well, even the one that is moving is just gliding back towards the goal. Either Merkley's team is just that terrible, or yeah looks like it was a long PK shift.

It sure "looks" bad though.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah without context its harder to comment, however I agree with your observation.

Merkley is getting hate, look at 22. He just stands next to his goalie, and slowly takes a knee in the most feeble of attempts to stop the pass. The forwards up high a barely moving as well, even the one that is moving is just gliding back towards the goal. Either Merkley's team is just that terrible, or yeah looks like it was a long PK shift.

It sure "looks" bad though.
The one thing it does highlight is that he's very likely not even close to being physically ready for the NHL but we knew that already and if he's skilled enough to be here, I would hope coaching shelters him until he is better conditioned.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The one thing it does highlight is that he's very likely not even close to being physically ready for the NHL but we knew that already and if he's skilled enough to be here, I would hope coaching shelters him until he is better conditioned.

The Pete DeBoer sheltering method:

1) Staple Merkley to the bench.
2) Give his ice time to Braun.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Any player at any level gets knocked off the puck.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Blichfeld scored a hatty and had an assist in a 10-2 stomping tonight. I'm obviously not a scout or anything, but I would put money on Joachim being a solid NHL player; he and Glass just dominate the ice together. No idea how he was drafted in the 7th round...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Blichfeld scored a hatty and had an assist in a 10-2 stomping tonight. I'm obviously not a scout or anything, but I would put money on Joachim being a solid NHL player; he and Glass just dominate the ice together. No idea how he was drafted in the 7th round...

In fairness, he's a 20-year old in a league where most 20-year-olds with some modicum of skill can crush it. The degree to which he's crushing it is indicative of him possessing a useful amount of skill, but his age relative to the rest of the league and the fact that he's a 20-year-old who should be in the pros instead of in the WHL are enough to make us want/need to pump the breaks a bit. Call it "Ty Ronning Syndrome". last season, the diminutive son of the diminutive ex-NHLer put up 61 goals as an over-age WHLer who was a 7th round pick in the same draft as Blichfeld (9 picks ahead of him. And I wanted him instead of Mark goddamn Shoemaker). This year he could barely get into an AHL game in Hartford and is now playing in the ECHL.

I'm not saying Blichfeld isn't going to be an NHLer. Not any more than I'm saying Ronning's early ECHL stint this year is an absolute career death sentence (though it's obviously not a stellar sign). I'm just saying that this season he's having is at best a sign for hope (but not outright faith) and at worst a mirage that won't have any bearing on his performance moving forward.

From what I've seen out of Blichfeld in my handful of viewings, the biggest thing standing between him and a solid, stable NA pro career is strength/weight. He's a stringbean and he needs some muscle and mass on his skates to stop himself from being pushed around because while he's a perfectly fine skater, he's not quite good enough to be able to get by with shiftiness and slipperiness.

I do hope he makes it though. He's got some skill and some versatility in his game. Not much of a hard/heavy shot, but everything else is there.

He's been #2 on my WHL prospect list over the last few years. Never really challenged Rudy for the #1 spot ( :cry: ) but I like him more than Gregor (who might have a better shot at a pro career, just with less upside)

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Merkley is the only Canadian 1st rounder from the last draft who wasn't invited. The other 9 Canadian first rounders were all invited

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Merkley doesn't make it and the 2019 draftee off my whl team doesn't make it. I don't know why I should even bother going to any games... :laugh:

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Not at all surprised Merkley didn't get the call. Does it light a fire under him to improve his defensive game? Who knows. That video of him posted on the weekend getting up off the ice all lazy like and not even attempting to skate 2 feet was totally lazy and disheartening. Tired or not, that was totally totally lazy. Much work to be done kid.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The funny thing about Merkley is that he is tied for the points lead on his team and a respectable +4 (7th). I won't claim to have watched him play but I just don't think he is as defensively inept as a lot of people make him to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad