Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Blichfeld with 3g, 1a
Noah Gregor with 1a. Quite a night for the Sharks CHL prospects

feh. 1 assist. That's.. alright. I guess. :sarcasm:

That said, Gregor's assist isn't even the most interesting thing in that game. WHL leading scorer Brett Leason also had an assist (I certainly hope the Sharks scouts who are watching Gregor are keeping an eye on Leason as well. He looks damn good this season.)

Oh, and this happened:

:laugh:

Reactions: NiWa

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Really impressed with the numbers Émond is putting up. Surprised they're still rotating between him and Harvey

Reactions: NiWa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Does Cukste have any bottom pairing potential??

It doesn't honestly look promising. Even granting that he's not an offensively-geared d-man, you want to see a bit more scoring pop from guys with pro aspirations (for reference, even a guy like Justin Braun was nearly PPG by his senior season. Cukste is trending in the wrong direction). And beyond that the scouting report on him is that he's not a great skater, lacking both speed and mobility/agility. There's just nothing to really dream on there.

The Sharks don't have to make a decision on him until 2020 (after his senior year) but I would be ultra, ultra, ultra shocked to see him get a contract.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
CHL Update: Chekhovic, Merkley and Gregor all “all right” (= 1 assist each).

Blichfeld without any points late in the 2nd period. He clearly is broken :sarcasm:

Edit: add a SH-goal for Gregor

Last edited:

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Went to the UMass UNH game today to see the 4 Sharks guys. UMass won 4-2 and was definitely the better team.

Leonard had a great game, scoring 1 goal and 2 assists. He looked really good overall like last year and possibly could have had another goal or two. Good game all around from him.

Ferraro played fine, getting an assist on the 4th goal. I’ve been wondering why his numbers have dropped this year and I think it’s just a matter of him playing a smarter game and the team having more offensive options. He still looked good today, playing physical and making smart plays defensively. He was still pinching when given the opportunity like last season but the offense is more centered around Makar and freshman Dman Del Gaizo.

Vela was ok, but to be honest not many UNH players stood out during this game. Vela does play with an edge and is captain of the UNH team. He had a few moments offensively but didn’t impress much and was in the penalty box when UMass scores the first goal.

Robinson had a really weak first and 2nd period but was pretty good in the third. I wouldn’t say the goals were his fault but he seemed to have trouble tracking the puck and controlling rebounds which directly lead to two of the 4 goals. He was also shaky for several plays that luckily didn’t result in goals. He was great in the third though. Kept UNH in the game while UMass was really dominating.

I really hope the Sharks sign UMass goalie Matt Murray (yes like the Pens goalie). He’s a sophomore and is really talented in net. Currently undrafted so not sure if we would have to sign him or could still use a pick on him but he is good and I think he has at least a solid AHL future if not possibly NHL. The Sharks tend to focus on players from the same team as current prospects which they already did with drafting Leonard. I think Murray would be a solid addition to our goalie prospects group.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If Murray is under 20, the Sharks could draft him. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until he leaves college (and goes pro); then it's an issue of what organizations will do for the player in their development and what space they have available.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Émond with a 14 save shutout
Chekhovich with 2 unassisted goals
Blichfeld with an assist
Gregor with a goal and an assist
Ferraro with the only assist on the OT winner
Robinson with 33 saves in a 4-1 game
Vela with a goal

Chekhovich was named 1st star (that happens a lot) and one of his goals was short handed.

Merkley was pointless and a -2 in an 8-2 blowout loss.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Curious if Merkley has got better at this defense thing this year. His first 2 years in the Q he was -41 and -29 respectively. Only 23 games through this season but he is 0 in +/-.
I go check the Guelph storm forum every once in awhile. They don't seem very happy with him right now but junior team boards can get pretty biased so I dunno.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Curious if Merkley has got better at this defense thing this year. His first 2 years in the Q he was -41 and -29 respectively. Only 23 games through this season but he is 0 in +/-.

I can only provide feedback on the one game I watched that was on the NHL network. He looked pretty poor in the defensive zone to me. Definitely not a skill issue. He actually has a good stick and was decent enough physically for his size when he was trying. More of a Will issue. Most of the time was either slow to get back in the defensive zone, focused on the puck carrier rather than the open guy in front of the net, or ready to jump into the offensive rush when the other team still had the puck. Hopefully over time his defensive intensity will increase. But based on what I saw I think it's going to take some significant time to get there.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
While almost everything about hockey is just pissing me off these days due to some piss poor play by a certain team, here is some good news:

Chmelevski with 1g, 3a in a 6-2 win, after a slow start he has found something...

Gregor with an assist, blichfeld with 0 points
Yah. Chmeleveski has had quite a turn around. 9 points in the first 13 games of the season. 25 in the last 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad