Sharks owner gives vote of confidence for GM Wilson

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
tenor.gif

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Man that office is gonna have some serious old junk in it. A rolodex with the Thrashers contact info in it and sticky notes reminding him to call back John Ferguson Jr. Wall chargers for the Ipod Nano. That dartboard with a xeroxed picture of Dean Lombardi's face. Three different half-filled Blockbuster rewards carda. Nine boxes of (mint) Ty Wishart posters. An unknown amount of Logan Culture's retainers (seriously Dougie, that's disgusting).

Notes to send extra scouts to Boston to check out this Thornton kid...

Give him a month to clean that office out.

Last edited:

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
He deserves the ability to turn the ship, literally the team has been consistently competitive and rebounded from off season.

There are still high quality pieces there with good years. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the playoffs next year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wilson is like Rutherford was in Carolina and Poile is in Nashville now, just way too damn long in the tooth with one franchise, it's hard to keep a guy that long and assume he's got a good pulse on what the league is trending towards without seeing a fresh perspective when they've been in the same spot for over a decade for some of these guys. Wilson should have moved up and out of that position a long time ago, same for Poile.

I'll be more shocked now if Wilson somehow survives being a GM for the Sharks after this season, even Poile to be honest.

Reactions: Voight

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Goodbye Doug. Jumbo and Patty retiring after this season. Things gon' be different...

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
In the wind of change

-Eric Clapton

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
About time. Dougs “Plan” has always been a nice speech about how good the team is and how he doesn’t need to do anything to it, it’s just fine the way it is.....

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
In the wind of change
-Eric Clapton

You do recognize that the quote is not from Clapton?

Generally it is not good that the superiors have to publicly give vote of confidence to a GM or a coach, but considering how awfully this season has went, wouldn’t it be just on course for them to keep Wilson just a bit too long?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
On a serious note - I think he's an excellent gm and I like his track record.

Sharks having such a bad year is almost inexplicable - they shouldn't be this bad. If i'm being honest - i'm still half-expecting them to mount a comeback and make the playoffs, and believe that if they do they could still take the wide-open west this year.

After all, despite their being 4 games under 500 (lol, that's pathetic....) they're really only 11 points out the playoffs, with 2 games in hand on Vegas. If they win those two, it's 7 points out with 30 games to go. Not exactly insurmountable...

Reactions: Patty Ice

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
On a serious note - I think he's an excellent gm and I like his track record.

Sharks having such a bad year is almost inexplicable - they shouldn't be this bad. If i'm being honest - i'm still half-expecting them to mount a comeback and make the playoffs, and believe that if they do they could still take the wide-open west this year.

After all, despite their being 4 games under 500 (lol, that's pathetic....) they're really only 11 points out the playoffs, with 2 games in hand on Vegas. If they win those two, it's 7 points out with 30 games to go. Not exactly insurmountable...
He’s been riding his career as a GM mainly off of the Thornton trade with a couple of others. But everything in between hasn’t been that great. He is very conservative and has signed more stinkers than he players that can actually contribute. He’s been good in the draft for the most part over the last 10 years or so but still.

Claude Lemieux, Adams Burish, Michal Handzus, Jeremy Roenick, Scott Nichol, Scott Gomez, Manny Malhotra to name a few. Him trading up for Petrecki, getting damaged good is Havlat. He gave over the hill players a nice retirement contract for the most part, and none of them helped the Sharks for the most part. Not to mention his off season moves after the 2014 playoff blunder.

not to mention he doesn’t draft, trade, or look for good free agent signings for bottom guys on both ends. The sharks have ALWAYS lacked depth for much of their peak Stanley cup years. It wasn’t until 2016 that we actually had great depth, but then we lacked speed.

fact is the Sharks don’t have a cup. He always insists that he’s put together the right team for a win, but we haven’t won one yet, and he then decides that even though there were obvious flaws on the Sharks, that he didn’t need to do anything, but will sign aging veterans that can’t score.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Wilson is like Rutherford was in Carolina and Poile is in Nashville now, just way too damn long in the tooth with one franchise, it's hard to keep a guy that long and assume he's got a good pulse on what the league is trending towards without seeing a fresh perspective when they've been in the same spot for over a decade for some of these guys. Wilson should have moved up and out of that position a long time ago, same for Poile.

I'll be more shocked now if Wilson somehow survives being a GM for the Sharks after this season, even Poile to be honest.
Yeah. These old guys are so dumb. Wilson probably just monkeying around with his Craftmatic bed. Clap on! Clap off!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad