Sharks owner gives vote of confidence for GM Wilson

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
And you have 0 cups to show for it... It's called asset management. You move players to get better players in areas you need to ice a better overall team to win a Championship.
You’re a funny guy mate. So the team that loses to Pittsburgh, like, f***ing Pittsburgh in 2016, they didn’t have proper asset management. So every team that loses to a hot team for ANY reason at all is just plain awful at asset management. You heard it here first folks.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
And you have 0 cups to show for it... It's called asset management. You move players to get better players in areas you need to ice a better overall team to win a Championship.
How many times have you heard not only experts but players say to win a Stanley cup you need a good team and a tremendous amount of good fortune. You’re just discounting everything that’s been said about how hard it is to win a Championship and have reduced it to “bad asset management.” Get the f*** outta here dude.

What if after Pittsburgh lost to Detroit in 2008 they start making key trades to avoid bad asset management? Your argument is so loosely based on this philosophy you made up in your head because your team finally won a Championship so you’ve been given all the knowledge needed to succeed. Get off your high horse.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I can see it now, one day after firing Wilson in the near future:

Reporter: ' Mr. Platner, didn't you just give Wilson a full vote of confidence not that long ago. What changed?'

Platner: 'We respect what Doug did for our organization and all the hard work he has put in over the years but we believe we need to start seeing better results'

Reporter: 'But the results were even worse before you gave him the vote of confidence.....'

Platner: 'We made a decision that was in the best interest of the team....'

...and more equivocating

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I’m not bragging actually if you look at his post he said to trade two key player’s before the finals. I’m explaining why if we did that, we wouldn’t have made the finals. Thanks though, great input. Good to have you contributing.

Edit: And wait, aren’t you a Kings fan? I’m not great at math but didn’t it take you guys a little longer than 20 years to win a cup? Like, a lot longer? Also, sure we’ve had Joe Thornton in his prime and people like to talk about key players not getting it done here but I’m pretty sure you guys had a really good player for like, 12 years that couldn’t get it done. What was his name, the good one? Sorry, before my time. But at least San Jose has a lot of time left if we’re going by the King’s clock.
Two things.

96 - 88 != 12

it’s not about how long it’s taking the Sharks or that they haven’t won yet, it’s about the constant prattling about how “successful” they’ve been despite having won jack shit. Nobody was bragging that the Kings went to the finals and lost in 93 as if that was something to be proud about.

I don’t care, he’ll hold onto wilson for another 15 years. The rest of the Pacific will thank you.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Two things.

96 - 88 != 12

it’s not about how long it’s taking the Sharks or that they haven’t won yet, it’s about the constant prattling about how “successful” they’ve been despite having won jack ****. Nobody was bragging that the Kings went to the finals and lost in 93 as if that was something to be proud about.

I don’t care, he’ll hold onto wilson for another 15 years. The rest of the Pacific will thank you.
Have I done that? Are you referring to my words when you challenge me, or are you just hateful towards my teams fanbase?

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Two things.

96 - 88 != 12

it’s not about how long it’s taking the Sharks or that they haven’t won yet, it’s about the constant prattling about how “successful” they’ve been despite having won jack ****. Nobody was bragging that the Kings went to the finals and lost in 93 as if that was something to be proud about.

I also said he was there for 12 years in my post so you clearly didn’t even see that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
FWIW the Caps moved on from GMGM and went on to win 2 Prez Trophys and the cup.

Pens moved on from Shero and won back to back.

Boston moved on from Chia and made it back to the finals.

Sometimes changing the guard works after things stagnate.

I’m not bragging actually if you look at his post he said to trade two key player’s before the finals. I’m explaining why if we did that, we wouldn’t have made the finals. Thanks though, great input. Good to have you contributing.

Edit: And wait, aren’t you a Kings fan? I’m not great at math but didn’t it take you guys a little longer than 20 years to win a cup? Like, a lot longer? Also, sure we’ve had Joe Thornton in his prime and people like to talk about key players not getting it done here but I’m pretty sure you guys had a really good player for like, 12 years that couldn’t get it done. What was his name, the good one? Sorry, before my time. But at least San Jose has a lot of time left if we’re going by the King’s clock.

It took the Kings 26 years to make their first finals, Sharks 24 years :dunno:

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
This is an honest vote of confidence, not what you are thinking. DW has proven time and again he's one of, if not the best, GMs in the league.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic are currently not proving their worth, only going to decline from here, and are signed until 2024-2025 or beyond with a total cap hit of $26.5M.

And then there's Martin Jones...

They are in some deep shit.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Solid GM, but it's time to make a change.

The roster looks weak and there are a bunch of awful contracts with term. Being near the bottom of the league without a 1st is a massive failure and should get anyone fired.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is an honest vote of confidence, not what you are thinking. DW has proven time and again he's one of, if not the best, GMs in the league.

DW is in a pretty good situation:

SJ is an attractive NHL destination

Hasso i believe is the NHL's richest owner resulting in DW always having plenty of payroll

I certainly won't argue he's been a poor GM however he's been dealt a pretty good hand and hasn't been able to cash in

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
DW is in a pretty good situation:

SJ is an attractive NHL destination

Hasso i believe is the NHL's richest owner resulting in DW always having plenty of payroll

I certainly won't argue he's been a poor GM however he's been dealt a pretty good hand and hasn't been able to cash in

Hasso only came along recently. And as attractive as it may be, actually getting FA’s to sign here, even for more money, has been an issue. Once guys get here (trade) they seem to love it and want to stay but getting guys to come here on their own in FA hasn’t been easy. Pretty much all of the teams success is thanks to DW bringing in guys like Thornton, Boyle, Burns, Heatley, EK65, Kane, etc and getting them to extend. Sharks almost never draft high as they never tanked so high end talent had to come from late picks or trade.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
He doesn’t trade when it’s necessary though. He’s very conservative and holds on to players for way to long. Sure, he’s made some genuine good moves within that, but it’s not like he got anything for it.

Exactly. If any of my sports teams lost players of Pavelski or Marleau ability to FA for nothing it's a failure. You are suppose to think a couple years ahead and flip them for similar younger/talent. Not to mention they have always been really deep at center. They should have traded one for position of need. Sharks fans seem to be content with almost winning once so it's whatever I guess.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Exactly. If any of my sports teams lost players of Pavelski or Marleau ability to FA for nothing it's a failure. You are suppose to think a couple years ahead and flip them for similar younger/talent. Not to mention they have always been really deep at center. They should have traded one for position of need. Sharks fans seem to be content with almost winning once so it's whatever I guess.
You’re still ignoring my posts from the last page. It’s kinda funny how you pick and choose who to respond to based on the narrative you wanna push and the resistance you will receive. Unfortunately for you, everyone can read all the posts and you look foolish.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You’re still ignoring my posts from the last page. It’s kinda funny how you pick and choose who to respond to based on the narrative you wanna push and the resistance you will receive. Unfortunately for you, everyone can read all the posts and you look foolish.

I've already interacted with you and you obviously don't get it. I don't see the point in going back and forth anymore. Others agree with me and I'm talking to them.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
What if after Pittsburgh lost to Detroit in 2008 they start making key trades to avoid bad asset management? Your argument is so loosely based on this philosophy you made up in your head because your team finally won a Championship so you’ve been given all the knowledge needed to succeed. Get off your high horse.

You know what the difference was in the year Detroit won and Pittsburgh won? Whoever had Hossa lost. 40 goal, 70 point player. By Sharks standards that type of player you can't lose because goals and points. Lost Hossa and got Cooke, Fedotenko, and Satan. More grittier wings and made up for his production. Better overall team.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I've already interacted with you and you obviously don't get it. I don't see the point in going back and forth anymore. Others agree with me and I'm talking to them.
What do you mean I don’t get it? You made up some formula that you believe is the key to winning but you’re full of shit. Only one team can win each year and you sit here saying the same bullshit day in and day out. Saying “I dont get it” is such a cheap excuse and you know it.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
You know what the difference was in the year Detroit won and Pittsburgh won? Whoever had Hossa lost. 40 goal, 70 point player. By Sharks standards that type of player you can't lose because goals and points. Lost Hossa and got Cooke, Fedotenko, and Satan. More grittier wings and made up for his production. Better overall team.
This post right here should be enough to show everyone how little you know about hockey operations. Just stop trying to push this narrative dude, you’re on HF and DW is running an NHL hockey team.

You’re comparing adding a few spare parts to the Sharks trading their captain? What the f*** are you on about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad