Sharks owner gives vote of confidence for GM Wilson

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
You know what the difference was in the year Detroit won and Pittsburgh won? Whoever had Hossa lost. 40 goal, 70 point player. By Sharks standards that type of player you can't lose because goals and points. Lost Hossa and got Cooke, Fedotenko, and Satan. More grittier wings and made up for his production. Better overall team.

Its also a different league then it was back then. Dirty cheap pieces of shit are not in high demand and rightfully so. What was a "better overall team" back then is a bubble team at best now. The game changes and evolves. Either you do as well or you never get a sniff of the hardest trophy in the world to win.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
What do you mean I don’t get it?

You don't get winning. You are content with 2nd place.

This post right here should be enough to show everyone how little you know about hockey operations. Just stop trying to push this narrative dude, you’re on HF and DW is running an NHL hockey team.

You’re comparing adding a few spare parts to the Sharks trading their captain? What the **** are you on about?

Never said it had to only be Pavelski.

Its also a different league then it was back then. Dirty cheap pieces of **** are not in high demand and rightfully so. What was a "better overall team" back then is a bubble team at best now. The game changes and evolves. Either you do as well or you never get a sniff of the hardest trophy in the world to win.

It's the same game. You can space out production. You can lose 70 points and make it up with two players and balance out lines better. That was my point.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That song was written by the Scorpions and Clapton had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Clapton was in a band called Cream
One of their songs was "Born under a bad sign"
There is an Astrological sign called Scorpio
Scorpio is associated with the Greek deity Artemis
Deity is synonymous with God
Clapton is God.

Reactions: pbgoalie

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

It's the same game. You can space out production. You can lose 70 points and make it up with two players and balance out lines better. That was my point.

So your idea is to remove the skilled 70 point player and having his production filled by 2 players who combined probably make as much salary wise?

Madness

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You make some good points in your post, but you’re vastly underrating his trading ability. He’s put together more than “a couple” of great trades.
I mean, the Thornton deal, the Burns deal......Is there any other ones that worked out for us in the long run? The Havlat/Heatley trade was good on paper but ultimately didn’t amount to anything. I mean I don’t see any more great trades on his part.
Exactly. If any of my sports teams lost players of Pavelski or Marleau ability to FA for nothing it's a failure. You are suppose to think a couple years ahead and flip them for similar younger/talent. Not to mention they have always been really deep at center. They should have traded one for position of need. Sharks fans seem to be content with almost winning once so it's whatever I guess.
He’s the king of optimism. He always excuses his inability to make the moves he should by just piling on either worthless contracts between getting a big name here and there. Not to mention how he handled the Sharks early playoff exit in ‘09 and ‘14. He used captaincy as a scapegoat for his incompetence.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada

Explain how I don’t get winning and am content with 2nd place? When have I ever f***ing said that? You are point blank saying that you know for a fact that if DW traded Pavelski and Marleau in 2015 we would have the stanley cup. That must be your argument because everything else that you’ve said makes zero sense. You’re putting words in my mouth and ignoring what I actually say so you can push your bullshit narrative. Who are you doing this for? You’re not convincing anyone and you’re wasting your own time. You can’t even stay on topic. Just quit while you’re ahead because everytime I see you post bullshit I will reply to it.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I mean, the Thornton deal, the Burns deal......Is there any other ones that worked out for us in the long run? The Havlat/Heatley trade was good on paper but ultimately didn’t amount to anything. I mean I don’t see any more great trades on his part.

He’s the king of optimism. He always excuses his inability to make the moves he should by just piling on either worthless contracts between getting a big name here and there. Not to mention how he handled the Sharks early playoff exit in ‘09 and ‘14. He used captaincy as a scapegoat for his incompetence.

Off the top of my head: he got Thornton, Burns, Heatley, Boyle, and EK for spare parts (I’ll concede that the loss of a 1st rounder in the EK deal may hurt us long term). The Toskala/Bell trade was also a huge win, and he got value for players like Stuart, Murray, and Braun when all three were clearly on the decline. He’s a fantastic trader, it’s arguably his greatest strength as a GM.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Goodbye Doug. Jumbo and Patty retiring after this season. Things gon' be different...

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
In the wind of change
-Eric Clapton
Well done, sir. You sent dozens of HF posters (me included) scrambling to google to see if Clapton actually wrote that song. Not sure if your intent was to stir things up or just goof around a little, but that quote from whoever wrote it (Klaus Meine), fits the situation perfectly.

Could have also used this one:
Well, it takes a strong man, baby
But I'm showin' you the door
'Cause I gotta have faith

-Limp Bizkit

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Off the top of my head: he got Thornton, Burns, Heatley, Boyle, and EK for spare parts (I’ll concede that the loss of a 1st rounder in the EK deal may hurt us long term). The Toskala/Bell trade was also a huge win, and he got value for players like Stuart, Murray, and Braun when all three were clearly on the decline. He’s a fantastic trader, it’s arguably his greatest strength as a GM.
And only 2 of those trades worked on in the long run. I’m not arguing that he’s really good at basically ripping off other teams top players for scraps, but in the end the Burns and Thornton trade have been the only impactful ones. Heatley was then traded for Havlat who was damaged goods and didn’t even play over 42 games in his 3 years with the Sharks. The trade to the Maple Leafs ultimately lead them to Vlasic, which was a good move, except he also Traded for a 36 year old Bill Guerin in ‘07 which was a bust, he traded Brian Campbell and Steve Bernier for a 7th Round pick which I believe turned out to be Demers, which again didn’t work out. He traded a first round pick for a 33 year old Craig Rivet, and his trade for Winnik and Galiardi was a bust as well.

He is good at being a literal “shark” when it comes to trades but Like I said, for every one of those trades, he doesn’t make up for it with better ones. His last few recent trades have not worked out in any significant way.

again, he makes these big moves because he preys on those GMs willing to toss aside guys like EK, Thornton, and Burns for players not even close to their caliber, but that doesn’t make him a great trade GM, only that he does it when he knows he isn’t giving much up. He’s conservative as hell and always plays it safe or makes minuscule moves here and there to make it look like he’s contributing.

The only things that have gone in his favor is our drafting with guys like Couture, Hertl, Meier, Labanc being promising young guys and past guys like Vlasic, Pavs, and Braun being big contributors for us.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
And only 2 of those trades worked on in the long run. I’m not arguing that he’s really good at basically ripping off other teams top players for scraps, but in the end the Burns and Thornton trade have been the only impactful ones. Heatley was then traded for Havlat who was damaged goods and didn’t even play over 42 games in his 3 years with the Sharks. The trade to the Maple Leafs ultimately lead them to Vlasic, which was a good move, except he also Traded for a 36 year old Bill Guerin in ‘07 which was a bust, he traded Brian Campbell and Steve Bernier for a 7th Round pick which I believe turned out to be Demers, which again didn’t work out. He traded a first round pick for a 33 year old Craig Rivet, and his trade for Winnik and Galiardi was a bust as well.

He is good at being a literal “shark” when it comes to trades but Like I said, for every one of those trades, he doesn’t make up for it with better ones. His last few recent trades have not worked out in any significant way.

again, he makes these big moves because he preys on those GMs willing to toss aside guys like EK, Thornton, and Burns for players not even close to their caliber, but that doesn’t make him a great trade GM, only that he does it when he knows he isn’t giving much up. He’s conservative as hell and always plays it safe or makes minuscule moves here and there to make it look like he’s contributing.

The only things that have gone in his favor is our drafting with guys like Couture, Hertl, Meier, Labanc being promising young guys and past guys like Vlasic, Pavs, and Braun being big contributors for us.

Why do you keep ignoring the Boyle trade? That absolutely worked out for us long term, as he was arguably the franchise’s first #1 offensive D man and was awesome for us for many years when we were Cup contenders.

And if it was so easy to consistently “prey” on other GMs, then why don’t other teams do it more often? Also, I’m not saying he has a perfect trade track record, far from it, but neither does any other GM.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Why do you keep ignoring the Boyle trade? That absolutely worked out for us long term, as he was arguably the franchise’s first #1 offensive D man and was awesome for us for many years when we were Cup contenders.

And if it was so easy to consistently “prey” on other GMs, then why don’t other teams do it more often? Also, I’m not saying he has a perfect trade track record, far from it, but neither does any other GM.
I didn’t ignore it I thought I stated that it was one of his good trades, but regardless it was still one of very few trades that ultimately worked out.

timing? I don’t know. Boston and Ottawa seemed very willing to get rid of Joe and EK during that time and DW made something happen. Like I said, he’s just night and day when it comes to trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad