Sharks News/Notes XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I don’t have a problem with players showing personality. I have a problem with players going on a podcast, gossiping, and telling personal stories about their former teammates.

I also think it gives a lot of context regarding Demers in particular. Demers reportedly burned bridges with the organization and isn’t wanted back at any price. Him running his mouth about all this, while he is still playing, shows just what kind of professional he is.

The players in the room who talk about him say they like him, and act buddy buddy with him on social media for sure. But those are only a few players, and we don’t know what the rest think about him. And we do know what the organization thinks of him.

So you have a problem with something the players themselves don't have a problem with? Former and current players both go on the podcast and tell stories about both former and current players. Sometimes the players involved in the stories come on later and tell their side of it and laugh. Obviously they dont talk shit about people, current or former players, but you act like you know for a fact that Jumbo is mad that he told the story of him and Clowe fighting.

It's also hilarious because a former player who is deeply connected with the team Demers plays with opens the interview with a flattering intro about how Demers is incredibly well respected in the locker room and big glue guy for the team. I'd argue the fact that players in the room who talk about him love him and the stuff on social media is a pretty good example of how players view him. The fact he is in a promo video for the team seems to indicate the org likes him. But you'd prefer to speculate other players might think he's a highschooler who loves to gossip and talk mad shit.

This is why players don't speak out. It's why the podcast constantly has players come on who talk about how wrong the media/fans are when it comes to speculation (not always).

I also don't know why I'm taking the time to argue about this...it doesn't matter. But this type of speculation about how a player sucks as a person for doing an interview is why they don't do interviews. Have you listened to the podcast before? I'd suggest listening to a few episodes, it might change your opinion of the players. I have a way different view of the league after listening to it fairly regularly.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Boys having fun in paradise on bye break.

Kane in Maui. At same resort as Jumbo, who made a cameo in EK9s social media post this afternoon.

Hertl also in Hawaii

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Saw the Athletic piece about new season ticket offerings.

The "Top of the Tank" season pass (same seat all year, preseason and regular season) for $880 sounds awesome. Would do that in a heartbeat if i lived close by.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

A little background on the Karlssons' community outreach, especially Melinda's roll in it. Would be nice to see this expanded to other cities.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

A little background on the Karlssons' community outreach, especially Melinda's roll in it. Would be nice to see this expanded to other cities.

Thank you for posting this. I was never bullied as a child but I know it has happened to my daughters.
I hope that the Sharks do find a way into this. Even if EK65 doesn’t remain.

Reactions: slocal

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Unfortunate what Ryan Clowe is suffering through...I wonder if he has a case against the league.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Unfortunate what Ryan Clowe is suffering through...I wonder if he has a case against the league.
There's a settlement ($22k/player) pending against the league, but no class action lawsuit. (Many threads about concussions on BOH)

If he wasn't in that case, he could sue independently.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Thank you for posting this. I was never bullied as a child but I know it has happened to my daughters.
I hope that the Sharks do find a way into this. Even if EK65 doesn’t remain.

I was, ruthlessly. People who don't go through it have no idea the long term damage it causes. Severe social anxiety to the point of being unable to function properly in conversations with strangers. Ever wonder why someone looks at the floor when you talk to them and acts like they are extremely uncomfortable and cannot end the conversation fast enough? It's because they have an uncontrollable compulsion to believe that everyone is looking for a reason to make fun of them and embarrass them. They are terrified they will say something wrong and people will think they are strange, which of course because of that behavior people do in fact think. It's self-perpetuating, and damn near impossible to totally fix (I still haven't). I was in therapy most of my childhood to try to help, and eventually later in life I had to resort to anxiety and depression medication because no matter how much will power I have, I couldn't stop my brain from doing what it was conditioning to do. Thankfully I got pretty good pretending that everything was fine, so it didn't decimate my career and life, but it very easily could have. Even so, it held me back for decades until I found the right help and the right medications.

These days I'm doing a lot better, people constantly tell me that I seem like an entirely different person. They commend me for working through it, and I just smile and thank them. Inside though, it's still there, I still feel like every conversation I have with someone I am not very familiar with is like shoving needles under my fingernails, but it's faded enough that I can almost always ignore it.

Point is, bullying doesn't just create bad childhoods, it destroys lives, forever.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I was, ruthlessly. People who don't go through it have no idea the long term damage it causes. Severe social anxiety to the point of being unable to function properly in conversations with strangers. Ever wonder why someone looks at the floor when you talk to them and acts like they are extremely uncomfortable and cannot end the conversation fast enough? It's because they have an uncontrollable compulsion to believe that everyone is looking for a reason to make fun of them and embarrass them. They are terrified they will say something wrong and people will think they are strange, which of course because of that behavior people do in fact think. It's self-perpetuating, and damn near impossible to totally fix (I still haven't). I was in therapy most of my childhood to try to help, and eventually later in life I had to resort to anxiety and depression medication because no matter how much will power I have, I couldn't stop my brain from doing what it was conditioning to do. Thankfully I got pretty good pretending that everything was fine, so it didn't decimate my career and life, but it very easily could have. Even so, it held me back for decades until I found the right help and the right medications.

These days I'm doing a lot better, people constantly tell me that I seem like an entirely different person. They commend me for working through it, and I just smile and thank them. Inside though, it's still there, I still feel like every conversation I have with someone I am not very familiar with is like shoving needles under my fingernails, but it's faded enough that I can almost always ignore it.

Point is, bullying doesn't just create bad childhoods, it destroys lives, forever.
I was a poor child in elementary in the late 80's and early 90's. I also moved around a lot due to an unstable home life. Besides the daily remarks I was often forced into fist fights in every grade I can remember up through middle school. Back then teachers and staff took the easy way out by saying 'boys will be boys' without ever actually acting upon it.

I don't remember any of the fights individually or what precipitated them, but I do remember the feelings that were caused by a lot of unkind words. Almost all of which I had no control over. It's hard enough to be a kid with no parental involvement, money or self-esteem. Bullying just exacerbates these feelings of inadequacy and often pushes people over the edge. Luckily I had other adult influences and was good at sports so I had outlets. Others aren't nearly as fortunate.

Despite the reasoning why, I'm glad schools and the general public is finally taking this seriously.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Hockey ball and Cloweme, I applaud you both for your honesty. None of this is easy and grossly overlooked.
My parents are both deaf. They are both my heroes. They grew up in a time where they were labeled deaf and dumb. Horrible.
I’m glad you both have overcome. Both of my parents did. Inspiring.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

Thank you for posting this. It's not something I experienced directly but it is something someone close to me has. It's something I worry about constantly and I wish people understood it's impact more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad