Rumor: Sharks interested in Fabbro?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Eklund? He’s not impressed me much since going 7th overall in 2021. He’s an older draft pick and still didn’t show much in various post draft tournaments.

Fabbro is a full time NHL player and has been for years.

Eklund is a full time AHL player. Decent AHL stats though. But San Jose sucks and he’s not playing NHL hockey on such a bad team. Not the best sign. Guess they believe he’ll get better vs Coachella than he would vs the Dallas Stars.

I don’t have a high opinion of Eklund. Probably not the guy San Jose takes in hindsight. He’s 20. Will be 21 at the start of next season, where he’ll need to be a top nine guy in the regular before he starts to live up to his top 10 pick status.
He's not playing for the Sharks this year because he's a slide candidate.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hes got 8 points in his fourth NHL season lets get real here. These asks are ridiculous and you know it.

Fabbro isnt a rookie 21 year old anymore, hes a recovery player
In all fairness, he got 24 pts last year, and did absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever to get demoted in our lineup. It was purely a John Hynes season-long brainfart that put him where he is. I have complete confidence he's a 24 pts player again moving forward. He skates well and moves the puck well. I don't think he'll be much MORE than that, though. He takes his defensive responsibilities very seriously and doesn't take the kind of chances that could lead to bigger points totals. But the idea that he's an 8 pt player or that he needs to do anything in particular to recover, aside from just getting away from an awful coach, is a bit misplaced, fwiw.

I am just hoping the Preds fire Hynes ASAP, keep Fabbro, and all sides can move past this ridiculous season Hynes has given us. Putting Fabbro back up with Josi is legitimately likely now that we will shift McDonagh back down to replace Ekholm, so I think this long overdue return to normalcy for Fabbro will make all this trade talk go away. :crossfing

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don’t really know a ton about Fabbro so I don’t want to rule anything out honestly. What’s the book on him coming from Smashville fans in the know?
He had a very good year with Josi last year, but for some reason he has fallen out of the coaching staff's favor this year.

We don't expect Hynes to be back next year which means he could be trusted more under the new coach.

I'm not the biggest fan of him but I don't want to trade him for less than a 1st. He's still relatively young and could flourish under the new management.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
What would NSH realistically want for Fabbro? The Sharks aren't really trying to add much, but since he's younger and Grier has been focusing on restocking the defense looking forward, I could see something working out for the right price.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Yes, the sharks are definitely chomping at the bit to *add* to their best prospect who is PPG in the AHL over the last half season to get ... *checks notes*... Dante Fabbro?

Reactions: themelkman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What would NSH realistically want for Fabbro? The Sharks aren't really trying to add much, but since he's younger and Grier has been focusing on restocking the defense looking forward, I could see something working out for the right price.
I think we fans have very little idea on this one. We don't know if upper management has the same opinion of him as the coach or not. I would hope not. My theory is that Poile doesn't try to get in the way of his coaches, he gives them free rein. And it has really hurt us this year with Tolvanen been run out, Tomasino being sent down, and Fabbro being dropped back in the rotation. Poile let Hynes run roughshod over his draft picks, because he is that willing to extend his coach that freedom. But now... the tables may have finally turned. But if Poile/Trotz really have some other reason to not like Fabbro anymore, something most of us fans can't see, then who knows, they could be selling him far cheaper than we fans might think.

Like I said, I wouldn't take a late 1st back for him. But if management agrees with Hynes that Jeremy Lauzon is better than him, then anything's possible, he could go for a 4th in that case. :dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I don't see why Fabbro would be dealt for less than a 1st.
Nashville needs incentive to move him. He's an RFA and not really due for a massive raise.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yes, the sharks are definitely chomping at the bit to *add* to their best prospect who is PPG in the AHL over the last half season to get ... *checks notes*... Dante Fabbro?
The Eklund offer was a bit ridiculous I know but that's the type of offer we would move him for. Otherwise, why bother?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
The Eklund offer was a bit ridiculous I know but that's the type of offer we would move him for. Otherwise, why bother?
fair enough. I also wouldn't put it by our management to massively overpay for Fabbro at the deadline for some reason, which simultaneously does not make us a playoff team, but also, serves to lower our bedard odds.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's also possible that Fabbro/his agent are really pissed off at the Preds and have asked out. After last season, I was thinking he was lined up to command something like $4M AAV on his next 4- or 5-year contract. Instead, they basically beat him back down in the lineup to the point where even his $2.4M QO looks iffy. And given none of it appeared to make any sense on the ice, I can imagine his group being upset at seeing all that incoming money unexpectedly yanked out of their hands too. :dunno:

harro92

Jan 22, 2009
Melbourne
Your AHL team is 15th place of 17th teams in the western conference.

One of the worst teams in the AHL. Guess he’s growing there. Ok.

Playoffs probably not something any of those guys will sniff.
They are like 4 points out of the playoffs with 2 games in hand they are definitely sniffing them

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I wouldn't have hated Bordeleau for Fabbro but sounds like Sharks fans are down on his development. What's going on with that? I remember him looking pretty good in his NHL cameo.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I wouldn't have hated Bordeleau for Fabbro but sounds like Sharks fans are down on his development. What's going on with that? I remember him looking pretty good in his NHL cameo.
I wouldn't say "down" but he's raw for sure. Good offensive instincts and he has a hell of a shot on the PP but defensively he has some holes and he isn't particularly strong on the puck. I do think most of us still expect him to at least pan out as a middle-6er.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

He was leading the AHL in goals recently. He’s doing fine. We’ll see what he becomes, but I wouldn’t say we’re down on him at all. I still think he becomes a high-end, scoring 3C.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Since it was the San Jose organization that is showing interest it is on them what they offer. The want to buy low we all get that the Preds want to sell high. For two none playoff teams negotiating before the trade deadline it’s not likely to happen unless one side concedes. Before the deadline the players value us at its highest for playoff teams. Fabbro is not going to move the needle in this case. Even a 24 point defenseman will not draw a 1st. The reality is he’s probably worth a 2nd. And at that he is a 24 year old reclamation project.

So he is worth what the Sharks or any other team is willing to pay.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Since it was the San Jose organization that is showing interest it is on them what they offer. The want to buy low we all get that the Preds want to sell high. For two none playoff teams negotiating before the trade deadline it’s not likely to happen unless one side concedes. Before the deadline the players value us at its highest for playoff teams. Fabbro is not going to move the needle in this case. Even a 24 point defenseman will not draw a 1st. The reality is he’s probably worth a 2nd. And at that he is a 24 year old reclamation project.

I think reclamation project is a little harsh. He's still a perfectly steady presence.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I keep thinking the thread title says Sharks are interested in Frodo
55E7F2E6-8B15-4A97-A5E9-09DC3AFD1FA5.gif

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023

Bordeleau was a second round pick and the Sharks already have Hertl & Couture locked up longterm with Bystedt (probably) having a higher C ceiling than Bordeleau. I think Bordeleau still has a chance to be a solid NHL player, but I see him in the same cat. as Brisson which is NHLer or complete bust. Fabbro for Bordeleau I would think is a totally fair trade for both teams. Glass seems to have turned his game around in NSH so no reason that Bordeleau can't follow. He has MUCH more potential than Leonard had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad