Rumor: Sharks interested in Fabbro?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Not sure why a 2nd would be worth more than Fabbro. We're better off keeping him, he's still young enough to fit our next timeline.
I don’t really know a ton about Fabbro so I don’t want to rule anything out honestly. What’s the book on him coming from Smashville fans in the know?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sure, but I don't see how any of that translates to their best offer is probably player with negative value. It was a nonsense comment
Kevin Labanc would be 6th in scoring on NSH. Just want to throw that out there.

Not sure why a 2nd would be worth more than Fabbro. We're better off keeping him, he's still young enough to fit our next timeline.
The issue isn’t that Fabbro in a vacuum is worth a 2nd. The issue is that at least to Sharks fans, the 2nd is worth more since the Sharks suck.

Reactions: Makoshark

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would guess it would look similar to the Kunin trade from this past offseason if it's done now. Something like Hamaliuk and a 3rd but I'd prefer to see them move Simek and Hamaliuk for Fabbro.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I would guess it would look similar to the Kunin trade from this past offseason if it's done now. Something like Hamaliuk and a 3rd but I'd prefer to see them move Simek and Hamaliuk for Fabbro.
Preds fans definitely won't like that. Simek and Hamaliuk would probably cost the Sharks something to move them. Fabbro is worth more than Kunin.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
this is a weird trade. fabbro is young enough to go through a rebuild with NSH. SJ sucks (no offense) so not sure they would trade young kids or picks for someone 24 when they do not seem close to competing. both teams rebuilding.

where there’s smoke there’s fire though i guess. maybe Grier isn’t the best GM?

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Kevin Labanc would be 6th in scoring on NSH. Just want to throw that out there.
Neat, he'd be slightly ahead of 3 rookies that have all played fewer games and get much less ice time.

In case you've completely missed this year in hockey, the Preds are not a good team, especially offensively. And as of a few days ago, winning clearly isn't their top priority.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Neat, he'd be slightly ahead of 3 rookies that have all played fewer games and get much less ice time.

In case you've completely missed this year in hockey, the Preds are not a good team, especially offensively. And as of a few days ago, winning clearly isn't their top priority.
Neither are the Sharks so I’m not sure what your point is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Preds fans definitely won't like that. Simek and Hamaliuk would probably cost the Sharks something to move them. Fabbro is worth more than Kunin.
They shouldn't. I don't think Fabbro is worth all that much regardless of what any team's status is. He's not a great pickup for a competing team at that cap. He's not a great pickup for a rebuilding team at that cap either. He's in that range where it's possible he doesn't get qualified. I would like him on the Sharks because he'd be a better option on the right side than a bunch of fringe NHL lefties. I wouldn't pay anything of worth for that though. If Fabbro doesn't come at a cost of expendable players, prospects, and/or 3rd round or later picks then I'd look to the free agent market in the offseason. I'd be happy with them bringing back Justin Braun to fill that spot. It's literally just a filler spot until someone like Laroque or Havelid or Fisher are ready to take that spot (if ever).

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He’d be the perfect target for Vancouver. He grew up here, fits a huge need (top 4 RHD), and his age would match the retool/rebuild we are undergoing.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I honestly wouldn’t do anything other than a Labanc swap or possibly a Bordeleau for Fabbro swap. Seeing as how much most Sharks I talk to including myself generally feel about Bordeleau. I think expectations would be pretty high for Fabbro in teal If a deal like this came together.

No way am I trading Bordeleau for Fabbro. Or Bystedt.

I’d say a second and Labanc? He’s a year removed from a good year but has obviously fallen out of favor and we ain’t paying one of our two best prospects for him.

William Eklund + 2024 2nd (not from San Jose) for Fabbro.

I mean you’d have to add a 7th for Eklund.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No way am I trading Bordeleau for Fabbro. Or Bystedt.

I’d say a second and Labanc? He’s a year removed from a good year but has obviously fallen out of favor and we ain’t paying one of our two best prospects for him.

I mean you’d have to add a 7th for Eklund.
Eklund? He’s not impressed me much since going 7th overall in 2021. He’s an older draft pick and still didn’t show much in various post draft tournaments.

Fabbro is a full time NHL player and has been for years.

Eklund is a full time AHL player. Decent AHL stats though. But San Jose sucks and he’s not playing NHL hockey on such a bad team. Not the best sign. Guess they believe he’ll get better vs Coachella than he would vs the Dallas Stars.

I just spit my drink out..
I don’t have a high opinion of Eklund. Probably not the guy San Jose takes in hindsight. He’s 20. Will be 21 at the start of next season, where he’ll need to be a top nine guy in the regular before he starts to live up to his top 10 pick status.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Top prospects haven't been included in trades for much better players than Fabbro.
That certainly ought to have sent a message to the Sharks front office.

And of course there was little chance that tidbit soaking in with far to many here

Reactions: themelkman

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Eklund? He’s not impressed me much since going 7th overall in 2021. He’s an older draft pick and still didn’t show much in various post draft tournaments.

Eklund is a full time AHL player. Decent AHL stats though. But San Jose sucks and he’s not playing NHL hockey on such a bad team. Not the best sign. Guess they believe he’ll get better vs Coachella than he would vs the Dallas Stars.

I don’t have a high opinion of Eklund. Probably not the guy San Jose takes in hindsight. He’s 20. Will be 21 at the start of next season, where he’ll need to be a top nine guy in the regular before he starts to live up to his top 10 pick status.
Well I mean, no one ever said he was Bedard or Cooley but id say most agree he’s taking the necessary steps in the right direction to be a bonifide top 6 forward. No way we’d trade him away for a 24 yr old defenseman who has yet to establish himself as a top pairing D man. Not trashing your opinion, I just don’t see eye to eye on it.

Reactions: sergejean

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I’m going to ignore my first knee jerk reaction to make fun of this incredibly hot take and be more helpful;

Eklund is 100% NHL-ready but Grier has explicitly stated he intends to have our prospects grow in the AHL and play playoff hockey there (if they make it). There was no use putting him on a trash Sharks team and ruin his confidence. He started slowly but had since dominated every game he’s played and has been producing at a point or more per game in the last 20+ games. Most of us expect him to be a top line winger next year. He’s literally our top prospect and there’s literally no world where I’d even entertain a Fabbro for Eklund trade, that’s insane.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I can't imagine the Preds in the direction they are heading having any use for Kevin Labanc. He makes a ton of money for a fairly pedestrian player, I don't see the Preds wanting that contract.

If the Sharks aren't that high on Bordeleau anymore, I guess his dad is our skills coach in Nashville, but I don't really see the Preds going after a guy just for that kind of nepotistic reason alone. And we have a fairly large number of "ok" forward prospects already, while lacking young D who are ready to play for us, so it would be a really weird move from an organizational depth standpoint.

Mike Grier was a big BU star, though, and Fabbro was pretty hot stuff as a BU captain, so there could be some kind of alumni connection there that he's chasing down. If you're ever going to chase Fabbro, now's the time to try to buy low, I guess, since anybody coming last year would have been told to immediately get lost since Fabbro was 1st pair and doing fantastic for us before this bizarre season came along. So he may see a target of opportunity to get a really good young player at his absolute cheapest point.

Reactions: Soundgarden

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m going to ignore my first knee jerk reaction to make fun of this incredibly hot take and be more helpful;

Eklund is 100% NHL-ready but Grier has explicitly stated he intends to have our prospects grow in the AHL and play playoff hockey there (if they make it). There was no use putting him on a trash Sharks team and ruin his confidence. He started slowly but had since dominated every game he’s played and has been producing at a point or more per game in the last 20+ games. Most of us expect him to be a top line winger next year. He’s literally our top prospect and there’s literally no world where I’d even entertain a Fabbro for Eklund trade, that’s insane.
Your AHL team is 15th place of 17th teams in the western conference.

One of the worst teams in the AHL. Guess he’s growing there. Ok.

Playoffs probably not something any of those guys will sniff.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I can't imagine the Preds in the direction they are heading having any use for Kevin Labanc. He makes a ton of money for a fairly pedestrian player, I don't see the Preds wanting that contract.

If the Sharks aren't that high on Bordeleau anymore, I guess his dad is our skills coach in Nashville, but I don't really see the Preds going after a guy just for that kind of nepotistic reason alone. And we have a fairly large number of "ok" forward prospects already, while lacking young D who are ready to play for us, so it would be a really weird move from an organizational depth standpoint.

Mike Grier was a big BU star, though, and Fabbro was pretty hot stuff as a BU captain, so there could be some kind of alumni connection there that he's chasing down. If you're ever going to chase Fabbro, now's the time to try to buy low, I guess, since anybody coming last year would have been told to immediately get lost since Fabbro was 1st pair and doing fantastic for us before this bizarre season came along. So he may see a target of opportunity to get a really good young player at his absolute cheapest point.
Just wanted to say that tidbit on his dad being the Nashville skills coach is hilarious. I had no idea. I can totally see that deal happening now given that Grier just did the Fitz-Fitz trade for similar reasons. I'm not very high on Bordeleau at this point so I might do Fabbro for Bordeleau straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad