Rumor: Sharks GM Doug Wilson looking desperately to get a first for rebuild mode

SharksFan445

Jan 27, 2020
It means you're lacking context. Just because you get a minus doesn't mean you're the reason the goal was scored against.
You're right. You get A minus, maybe not. You get 22. Yea, you're probably the reason most of the goals got scored. Anytime either three get scored on its pretty obvious they were out of position, didn't try, or just didn't know what the hell to do.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not true at all. Labanc is -22, Burns is -21, and Karlsson is -15. Three of the worst defensive players in professional hockey. That stat absolutely rightfully displays that.

Labanc and Karlsson actually both have a negative effect on both shots and expected goals against (meaning they reduce the rate of shots and expected goals which they allow) according to Evolving Hockey’s Regularized-Adjusted Plus/Minus, which quantifies defensive play far better than plus/minus does.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You're right. You get A minus, maybe not. You get 22. Yea, you're probably the reason most of the goals got scored. Anytime either three get scored on its pretty obvious they were out of position, didn't try, or just didn't know what the hell to do.

No, that's not how logic works. A bunch of shoddy arguments doesn't make one sound argument.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The Sharks won't be rebuilding. Their current contract structure doesn't allow it, and it would be silly to tear everything down. If I'm Wilson:
  • Move expiring contracts for as much value as you can - rumour is Dillon can be moved for a 2nd and a prospect. All other deals should be picks or decent prospects.
  • Look at trade options for Jones - buy him out if nothing looks likely.
  • Look at moving one long-term contract to increase cap flexibility - personally I'd target moving a blue liner.
  • Do a thorough coaching search - don't default to Boughner. Look at all available options and find out what their intended playstyle for the playing group would be.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The Sharks won't be rebuilding. Their current contract structure doesn't allow it, and it would be silly to tear everything down. If I'm Wilson:
  • Move expiring contracts for as much value as you can - rumour is Dillon can be moved for a 2nd and a prospect. All other deals should be picks or decent prospects.
  • Look at moving one long-term contract to increase cap flexibility - personally I'd target moving a blue liner.
  • Do a thorough coaching search - don't default to Boughner. Look at all available options and find out what their intended playstyle for the playing group would be.

Curious who the Sharks have if they aren't going to roll with Jones. Dell doesn't look like he's been any better (they are both on my fantasy league lol). Anyway, just asking as I'm not familiar with their system.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If the Sharks decide to rebuild/retool and acquire some young assets through trade, who would they even trade? Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic are locked down to bad contracts. Hertl, Meier, Labanc seem like guys they should keep. Who does that leave? Couture and Thornton maybe?

Reactions: bl02

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If the Sharks decide to rebuild/retool and acquire some young assets through trade, who would they even trade? Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic are locked down to bad contracts. Hertl, Meier, Labanc seem like guys they should keep. Who does that leave? Couture and Thornton maybe?
Submits a list of 3 teams he would accept a trade to o_O and paid 8m for awhile.

Reactions: travis scott

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Curious who the Sharks have if they aren't going to roll with Jones. Dell doesn't look like he's been any better (they are both on my fantasy league lol). Anyway, just asking as I'm not familiar with their system.

Dell has been much better since the coaching change and the subsequent system changes. Jones had a couple games where he looked good and a couple where he looked bad. If they manage to get out from under Jones' deal, they'd likely pick someone up from the free agent market or target some cheap value bets in the trade market like Casey DeSmith if the Pens decide to keep Jarry and Murray. There's plenty of goalies out there looking for a starting job so getting a replacement isn't really a concern. It's whether DW attempts to overcompensate at the position given how poorly the Jones deal worked out. I don't blame him for signing Jones because every GM would've done the same thing but it just isn't working and he's getting worse mechanically.

They don't really have anyone in their system that they're putting any stock into. Something that's been a problem throughout DW's tenure is a complete inability to identify and develop goaltending talent. Even with how volatile the position is, you'd think they'd just run into some talent after 16 years.

Reactions: Anomie2029

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Dell has been much better since the coaching change and the subsequent system changes. Jones had a couple games where he looked good and a couple where he looked bad. If they manage to get out from under Jones' deal, they'd likely pick someone up from the free agent market or target some cheap value bets in the trade market like Casey DeSmith if the Pens decide to keep Jarry and Murray. There's plenty of goalies out there looking for a starting job so getting a replacement isn't really a concern. It's whether DW attempts to overcompensate at the position given how poorly the Jones deal worked out. I don't blame him for signing Jones because every GM would've done the same thing but it just isn't working and he's getting worse mechanically.

They don't really have anyone in their system that they're putting any stock into. Something that's been a problem throughout DW's tenure is a complete inability to identify and develop goaltending talent. Even with how volatile the position is, you'd think they'd just run into some talent after 16 years.

Sounds like Flyers syndrome. Up until Hart they've been in the same boat. Isles would be in the same spot if it wasn't for Trotz and his system that makes all goalies look like studs. I still feel like Jones could get his act back together.....but who knows.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Boy did dorion take Wilson to the woodshed.
He really did. The fact that Pierre Dorion, General Manager of the Ottawa Senators, knew that the Sharks would be a lotto team in ‘19-‘20 is a stroke of absolute genius. Also, that he knew Erik Karlsson would resign to a monster deal with San Jose, adds a whole other wrinkle to Pierre Dorion’s next level intuition. Doug Wilson, General Manager of the San Jose Sharks, will be spending the next year to eight years removing all the splinters he accrued in that woodshed.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Everyone talking about the lotto pick which I get but that kid Josh Norris is the real heist if you ask me. Hes ripping it up in the ahl right now and might turn out to be a star in the NHL. Dorion will be known as chief brody from jaws who fired the shot that sunk the shark. Wilson will be canned because of this I bet. Unreal.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Everyone talking about the lotto pick which I get but that kid Josh Norris is the real heist if you ask me. Hes ripping it up in the ahl right now and might turn out to be a star in the NHL. Dorion will be known as chief brody from jaws who fired the shot that sunk the shark. Wilson will be canned because of this I bet. Unreal.
You can have Dorion, he's all yours if you want him.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I'd probably do a 1st for Lebanc, but unless they're dangling Hertl or Meier, which they almost certainly are not, then not much interests me.

SharksFan445

Jan 27, 2020
Boy did dorion take Wilson to the woodshed.
Yup, and it was like that since day 1. Sharks gave up 2 insanely good prospects along with a 1st for a different version of Burns. It was never a good trade for the Sharks. I still laugh at the people who said that it was in fact Wilson that fleeced Dorion. Shows the intelligence of the common Sharks/Hockey fan.

What about:
Lebanc + Thornton
for
NYI 1st + Josh Ho-Sang + another pick
Obviously an easy trade for the sharks. But Isles arent winning any time soon, so sending Thornton there would be a complete waste.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Until he breaks into the NHL, I'm not caring about the pumping of a prospect's tires. Balcers is tearing up the AHL too and hasn't been able to prove himself at the NHL level. Until they do, prospect heists don't mean anything. You got a solid 2C in Tierney and a solid #4 in DeMelo that's going to get rented for a 2nd and maybe something else. The rest is still wait and see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. I feel the Habs fan base has to be told this too. Moving contract like that requires to liquidate them in trade values and also retain. Sharks and Habs are stuck and ripping it all apart is not the same as the Leafs trading Kessel or Phaneuf. Way too many contracts to move for the Sharks and Habs and the NHL is very tight against the cap for many teams!

Rebuild usually is a situation when you trip and fall down to that over a few seasons. Forcing it? Yeah, good luck with that with contracts in place and with term/high AAV's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad