Confirmed with Link: Sharks get Donato for 2021 3rd

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Shades of James Sheppard.

He's 24 and been traded twice. Not inspiring confidence in his potential.
I think you guys got a good deal for him. I liked him on the B's and was a little bummed when he was a part of the package that got traded for Coyle (though Coyle has made the deal totally worth it). I can't speak to why he didn't pan out in Minnesota, but he looked promising in Boston.

His biggest strength is his shot, and I think the defensive concerns are maybe a little over blown. He won't win the Selke, but I don't remember him being totally garbage in their own end. I think his ceiling is a fringe 2nd/3rd line wing that can chip in 20 goals.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think you guys got a good deal for him. I liked him on the B's and was a little bummed when he was a part of the package that got traded for Coyle (though Coyle has made the deal totally worth it). I can't speak to why he didn't pan out in Minnesota, but he looked promising in Boston.

His biggest strength is his shot, and I think the defensive concerns are maybe a little over blown. He won't win the Selke, but I don't remember him being totally garbage in their own end. I think his ceiling is a fringe 2nd/3rd line wing that can chip in 20 goals.

You're probably right.

It is just that given the lack of assets, and the cap corner that DW has painted himself into, the only choice he has is to go for potential bargains like Donato.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Interesting quote in Russo's article from Guerin:

Guerin said he actually told Donato in his exit meeting that he didn’t have a great answer as to why Donato routinely got the short shrift and maybe he should have stepped in and made clear that the coaches didn’t have to feel compelled to give other players a bigger role just because they might be a vet with a big contract or the home-grown draft pick.

Another interesting tidbit in the same article:

Donato ranked ninth in the NHL in 5-on-5 goals per 60 minutes (minimum 49 games) with 1.4. Some of the stars just ahead of him? Alex Ovechkin, Auston Matthews, David Pastrnak and Mika Zibanejad.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
Is this means Goodbye to Kevin Labanc? He going to want more money and with his small production, DW isn't going to give him a raise.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
He was traded once as a top prospect because Boston needed a proven commodity in Coyle for their Cup run. The second trade was because he fell out of favor with Bruce Boudreau, but then again Bruce Boudreau has never been in touch with offensive skill and talent in hockey players a day in his life. If you aren't huge and don't just lay hits everywhere there's a good chance that Bruce Boudreau hates you as a hockey player.
Apparently Evason is cut from the same mold. I expected him to make changes like giving Donato more than 5 minutes a game but he did nothing different. There was hardly any point in changing coaches. Donato has scoring ability but is apparently not a great skater. But neither was Pavelski and he has no trouble contributing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think he goes with Jumbo and gregor. Got one guy who skates and can hit, one who passes, and one who shoots
Given that he was in the top-10 scoring 5-on-5 last season, I would not be surprised to see Donato get a shot playing in the top-6. It is going to be between him and Labanc but I don't think Labanc should just be given that spot in the top-6

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Fair but I dont know if we want our top six to be all left handers
I don't like it either but I would want the more defensively responsible forward between Labanc or Donato to play in the top-6. Don't care whoever wins the spot. Would not be surprised if Meier or Kane are asked to play RW if the coaches feel Donato is a better fit than Labanc in the top-6.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Congratulations folks. I really don’t understand this deal from Minnesota’s side but it’s certainly a nice add for you.

Great to see some good news for the Sharks, hope there’s more to come.

Cheers
97565423-88EB-42F8-A88D-9E6B4868507C.gif

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Interesting quote in Russo's article from Guerin:

Another interesting tidbit in the same article:
Guerin is an idiot Did he not hire Evason? Then he should have outlined what he expected Evason to do. Play the veterans, play the guys who are producing and/or overplay the guys Guerin has acquired.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don’t think DW moves Labanc. I think this is a contest between Sorensen and Donato. Only one will be resigned.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don’t think DW moves Labanc. I think this is a contest between Sorensen and Donato. Only one will be resigned.
DW has already said that he wants the kids to be playing over Sorensen. I am fairly sure he mentioned Sorensen by name too.

Folks here know that I am not the biggest fan of Labanc but Sorensen is pure garbage. Labanc is a good 3rd liner and really good PP forward. Sorensen is consistently garbage in all areas.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
DW has already said that he wants the kids to be playing over Sorensen. I am fairly sure he mentioned Sorensen by name too.

Folks here know that I am not the biggest fan of Labanc but Sorensen is pure garbage. Labanc is a good 3rd liner and really good PP forward. Sorensen is consistently garbage in all areas.

I don’t disagree - but I don’t think DW is moving Sorenson and he gets these raging clues for competing for spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad