Confirmed with Link: Sharks get Donato for 2021 3rd

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
These deals fall more into a "that's an okay deal" rather than being good or bad. Like the targeted players are pretty whatever gambles but we also paid next to nothing for them. Sharks haven't hit on a 3rd round pick in well over a decade and downgrading from a 5th to a 7th is a pretty typical move for DW.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Given that he was in the top-10 scoring 5-on-5 last season, I would not be surprised to see Donato get a shot playing in the top-6. It is going to be between him and Labanc but I don't think Labanc should just be given that spot in the top-6
Labanc fits better simply because Labanc and Thornton stylistically don't mesh as passers. Donato's best attribute is his shot so if Thornton is back it makes sense putting someone with a gift for shooting/finishing with him rather than team him up with Labanc and watch them pass the puck around on the perimeter. Meanwhile, Hertl-Kane and Meier-Couture need someone to be that passer because they're all shoot first guys that are not overly creative. Pair them up with another shooter like Donato and you run into more issues.

Meier-Couture-Dadonov
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Thornton-Donato
Kellman-Handemark-??

That is the most balanced way to roll those lines currently barring a big trade. The distinction between Labanc and Donato is not top 6 vs non-top 6, it's simply Labanc's offensive profile fits better with the personnel that we already have on the top two lines than Donato.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Labanc fits better simply because Labanc and Thornton stylistically don't mesh as passers. Donato's best attribute is his shot so if Thornton is back it makes sense putting someone with a gift for shooting/finishing with him rather than team him up with Labanc and watch them pass the puck around on the perimeter. Meanwhile, Hertl-Kane and Meier-Couture need someone to be that passer because they're all shoot first guys that are not overly creative. Pair them up with another shooter like Donato and you run into more issues.

Meier-Couture-Dadonov
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Thornton-Donato
Kellman-Handemark-??

That is the most balanced way to roll those lines currently barring a big trade. The distinction between Labanc and Donato is not top 6 vs non-top 6, it's simply Labanc's offensive profile fits better with the personnel that we already have on the top two lines than Donato.
Nah. You move Gregor upto Jumbo's wing and Patty on the 4th line.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Meier-Couture-Dadonov
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Thornton-Donato
Kellman-Handemark-??

At the moment for me, the smart money is on Donato being the 2nd top 6 winger over Labanc. Donato has the thing that I've been saying Labanc lacks... intelligence. Unless Labanc comes in a different player physically I don't see him beating Donato out for a top six spot.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I like how every one is making this huge deal about thornton and donato being close because of 1 picture.

All it really does is just shows how freaking old thornton really is, a kid that was about 5 years old was around the team that drafted thornton and had him as a rookie at 18. And now is playing with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->