Confirmed with Link: Sharks get Donato for 2021 3rd

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It was a very small sample with inflated shooting percentage that he won’t sustain, but this is still very promising. Meier led our team this season and he was at like 1.06, and nobody else cracked 1.
Yes of course. He also had 6, 2 point game in the first 15 before getting bumped down. No guarantees but definitely worth getting excited about. Watched a couple highlights, definitely has some skill and a wicked back hander. Gotta have good hands to be effective on the backhand.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Ideally they are competing for the 6th top 6 spot and the other is put on the third line, I think. (That said if Dubnyk is not retained I don't know if that will be possible.)
Oh dude... what if this is it? DW is just like "Ok, it's fixed". Labanc and Donato in the top 6. Everything else filled internally. :help:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
This move does not excite me, but I’ll hold off on the DW hate until at least the Dubnyk part of this deal.

Not sure why we are bringing in a 24yo that has now been traded twice, after being unable to earn more ice time, and has not even broken 30 pts in the NHL, but now that he’s here I’ll just hope he improves for us.

If we take on 6 mil of cap, and actually pay for the privilege of doing that though..... yikes

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This move does not excite me, but I’ll hold off on the DW hate until at least the Dubnyk part of this deal.

Not sure why we are bringing in a 24yo that has now been traded twice, after being unable to earn more ice time, and has not even broken 30 pts in the NHL, but now that he’s here I’ll just hope he improves for us.

If we take on 6 mil of cap, and actually pay for the privilege of doing that though..... yikes
Hes scored 15 goals on a fourth line/scratched . Plug him next to Jumbo and someone who can skate and hes atleast getting 20

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Shades of James Sheppard.

He's 24 and been traded twice. Not inspiring confidence in his potential.

Last edited:

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
No reason for anyone to dislike this move. We sent a 3rd in 2021 that we received for lending Marleau to the Pens for a dozen games. Donato even if he continues just being a 3rd line forward makes this still a good deal. We need depth forwards and we just got a young one with upside on a reasonable contract. He scored 14 goals playing on the Wilds 4th line....

Best case scenario we just acquired a 2nd line caliber forward for a 3rd round pick next year.

In short...GREAT JOB DW!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
No reason for anyone to dislike this move. We sent a 3rd in 2021 that we received for lending Marleau to the Pens for a dozen games. Donato even if he continues just being a 3rd line forward makes this still a good deal. We need depth forwards and we just got a young one with upside on a reasonable contract. He scored 14 goals playing on the Wilds 4th line....

Best case scenario we just acquired a 2nd line caliber forward for a 3rd round pick next year.

In short...GREAT JOB DW!
Since Dubnyk didn't get lumped into this trade, it is hard to dislike it. Worst case he is a 3rd line player good for 30 points or so for a 3rd round pick in 2021. He will be an RFA next year too so more reason for him to be motivated to do well.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

He's 24 and been traded truce. Not inspiring confidence in his potential.
He was traded once as a top prospect because Boston needed a proven commodity in Coyle for their Cup run. The second trade was because he fell out of favor with Bruce Boudreau, but then again Bruce Boudreau has never been in touch with offensive skill and talent in hockey players a day in his life. If you aren't huge and don't just lay hits everywhere there's a good chance that Bruce Boudreau hates you as a hockey player.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

He's 24 and been traded truce. Not inspiring confidence in his potential.
He was traded for by Fenton, for Charlie Coyle. Kid has potential. He's traded this time because Guerin is dumb and the Wild have a fetish for wingers, way way too many of them. This isn't a case of Donato being a problem child.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Cool bit of trade tree stuff with this trade:

In 2011 Sharks traded Coyle, Setoguchi and 2011 1st for Burns and a 2012 second. That 1st was wasted on Zack Phillips who never dressed in the NHL.

Burns is Burns, and that 2nd in 2012 became Dominick Moore and a 7th from Tampa, which the Sharks then packaged with a 4th to move up to get Christopher Lalancete, another nobody. More to this branch with Tampa moving that 2nd to Nashville in a deal that saw picks + goalies go. Nashville ended up with Scissons and Aberg, Tampa drafted Gusev with picks they received.

Setoguchi was eventually traded to WPG for a 2014 2nd, and MIN moved that 2nd + Seto's buddy and former Shark Torrey Mitchell and 2016 2nd to Buffalo for Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick. That 2016 branches out into Buffalo trading it to MTL for another former Shark Josh Gorges. MTL traded that and their own 2016 2nd for Andrew Shaw. Chicago busted on what was originally the Wild's 2016 pick, but hit on MTL's with Alex DeBrincat

Coyle was eventually traded to Boston last year for Donato and a conditional 2019 5th. That conditional pick became the Rangers 2019 4th, which was traded to Carolina for, frankly guys who are still prospects.

Donato now comes to the Sharks for a 2021 3rd, which the Sharks got for Marleau.

IDK if anyone can follow that, but it's kinda cool. Sharks ultimately traded Setoguchi and Coyle a 1st and 3rd and got back Burms, plus the big piece of the trade that sent Coyle out of MIN. MIN got a basically nothing out of all these trades, and every team they traded with using subsequent pieces ultimately got better while they did not.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
He was traded for by Fenton, for Charlie Coyle. Kid has potential. He's traded this time because Guerin is dumb and the Wild have a fetish for wingers, way way too many of them. This isn't a case of Donato being a problem child.

This is so true and on the wild he ends up playing too far down the line-up for his skill set to be maximized. I also suspect he wasn't overly happy with the Wild management since he was in the middle of a hot streak and they brought in players that pushed him down the line-up.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
While I expect I won’t like the Dubnyk trade, I do like this one. He seems like a guy who could fit into the top 6 with Couture and Meier for a low cap hit. The question is can Wilson now get a legit top 6 forward to ensure that only one of Labanc, Donato, Gregor, Marleau, Thornton, or Leonard end up in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad