Sharks get away with a boarding call that nearly took out Benning.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Nobody remembers when Raffi Torres clocked Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs and changed the course of that series?

Yeah, I got no problem with Kane barely touching Benning and then a no call and goal in a regular season game. Works fine for me.

Damn, I have never seen this video before somehow; that was ridiculous.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Im not one to defend the Sharks or their players, but that wasn't much. MAYBE a penalty, but he barely touched the guy and he lost his edge. And that's after watching the play multiple times. In the moment, I probably would have just thought he lost his edge and let the play continue. Not everything means the refs are out to get you.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That was a really weak cross check. Hardly even penalty worthy (if that), let alone worthy of some of these responses. Some guys here are acting like it was an egregious play, when it's really barely even a penalty. Benning lost his edge. Stop looking at the result and look at what actually happened.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Borderline penalty, barely touched him. And of course, league is not against the Oilers and there is no conspiracy or whatever. That is just a pathetically immature perspective to have.

I find it crazy to believe that the Oilers fans think the league is against the Oilers after how many #1 picks they received including the McDavid sweepstakes?

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I find it crazy to believe that the Oilers fans think the league is against the Oilers after how many #1 picks they received including the McDavid sweepstakes?
The league is pretty bad at this hey? They keep shooting themselves in the foot. Maybe they’ll actually rig a lottery this time

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Remember, the referees are totally here to save the Sharks. They especially help them on boarding calls. That's why there were a total of 0 penalties awarded on any of these plays.

(Sharks player has missed over 10 games and still has not returned since this hit)

(Sharks player was injured and missed the next game with a concussion after this hit)

And all of these happened in San Jose, where the home cooking is super strong. Why do the referees love California players? Why do they go above and beyond to keep California players safe after these boarding plays that injure them? I don't know.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Don't care about results at this point, just banking every bad call/bounce/goal review and waiting to cash it in on lottery day. This forum will be a glorious place to be on that day. Getting my rubber boots ready to wade through the tears of HF in a couple months.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Don't care about results at this point, just banking every bad call/bounce/goal review and waiting to cash it in on lottery day. This forum will be a glorious place to be on that day. Getting my rubber boots ready to wade through the tears of HF in a couple months.

What does it matter though? No amount of 1st rounders can save the oilers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That was a really weak cross check. Hardly even penalty worthy (if that), let alone worthy of some of these responses. Some guys here are acting like it was an egregious play, when it's really barely even a penalty. Benning lost his edge. Stop looking at the result and look at what actually happened.

Huh?

Watch the view from behind the net. He very clearly doesn't lose an edge.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yeah it should've been a penalty given the definition of the rule, but lets be real. He barely touched him. That's more of Benning not being grounded properly than it is Kane "cross-checking" him. That was very light, im sure if Benning had himself grounded properly he barely even moves off a shove like that.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Yeah it should've been a penalty given the definition of the rule, but lets be real. He barely touched him. That's more of Benning not being grounded properly than it is Kane "cross-checking" him. That was very light, im sure if Benning had himself grounded properly he barely even moves off a shove like that.

Whats the difference between that and when a player barley trips another, or barely high sticks someone, or barely shoots it over the glass?

People calling the play dirty are a bit off, but if you are pursuing people into the boards, its your responsibility to not run them head first into the boards.

That routinely gets called a penalty.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Whats the difference between that and when a player barley trips another, or barely high sticks someone, or barely shoots it over the glass?

People calling the play dirty are a bit off, but if you are pursuing people into the boards, its your responsibility to not run them head first into the boards.

That routinely gets called a penalty.

I agree with this in principle. Kane's spot here should've been a penalty and wasn't although it's not as bad as I originally thought on first view. The issue here in this thread is the hyperbole and the pretending like the Oilers didn't benefit from a missed call in this game as well. I have yet to see one person that is an Oilers fan acknowledge that their 2nd goal was directly attributed to a missed interference call on Nurse. They don't because they know that kills that argument of it being a bias thing.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
So many tin foil hats in here. There's no conspiracy or screwjob. And y'all surprisingly quiet about the missed interference that led to the Oilers 2nd goal.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last edited:
Reactions: HydroF and Phu

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Wow. Lol'ing at those actually stating there was little there. When a guy is on skates and bent at the boards and a player shoves him at all, it doesnmt need to take a full chop in order to make for a dangerous play. :help:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I agree with this in principle. Kane's spot here should've been a penalty and wasn't although it's not as bad as I originally thought on first view. The issue here in this thread is the hyperbole and the pretending like the Oilers didn't benefit from a missed call in this game as well. I have yet to see one person that is an Oilers fan acknowledge that their 2nd goal was directly attributed to a missed interference call on Nurse. They don't because they know that kills that argument of it being a bias thing.

Acknowledged, Nurse got there a tad early should have been interference.

I will refer you to my prior post in this thread as well...

The hit looked harmless enough... it was a dumb/disrespectful play due to the distance from the boards but not a typical Kane dirty hit. It 100% should have been called a penalty.

For the record, it was not a dive. Benning does not an embellish... Benning was off-balance because he probably wasn't expecting to be hit like that 4 feet from the boards.

It cost us a goal but should not have cost us the game... you have to be tougher mentally and be able to handle a missed call... this is the NHL and the Oilers have dealt with this type of officiating many games this year, so they should be better at battling through this kind of adversity, This team needs to get stronger mentally. Period.

What are your thoughts on Kane's actions just before Draisaitl gave him a little shot in the back and Kane goes down like superman?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A Flames fan started this thread so how this apply to the discussion here . It's going to be fun to see Winnipeg choke in the 1st round this year since obviously they can't win a playoff game..
Whether ha's a flames fan or not is another discussion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad