Sharks get away with a boarding call that nearly took out Benning.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nobody remembers when Raffi Torres clocked Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs and changed the course of that series?

Yeah, I got no problem with Kane barely touching Benning and then a no call and goal in a regular season game. Works fine for me.

This is like saying, no one remembers all the hits Scott Stevens threw on the way to NJ winning their multiple cups. The game was called much differently even in 2006, that your lack of context makes your post rather meaningless.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Huh?

Watch the view from behind the net. He very clearly doesn't lose an edge.
How anyone can say he lost an edge after watching the 2nd video in the OP is beyond me. NHL refs are terrible, thats the moral of the story. Doesn't really matter from an Edmonton perspective with the season being over, but I can see how some might be frustrated given how much it seems has gone against Edmonton rather than for them this season (PP opportunities league worst, seemingly everything being allowed against McDavid, coaches challenges being 13-1, etc). Is what it is. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the season because McDavid and Draisaitl are still a treat to watch.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
couldn't see the hit, the camera angle at the shark tank is horrible, too far up !

stop the birds eye view, get the camera closer to the ice ffs.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Why? Hardly touched him.

Much worse not been called.

And that's the problem with NHL officiating.

They should always call fouls that take away/lead directly to scoring chances.

People hand waving away obvious penalties is bad for the game.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Why? Hardly touched him.

Much worse not been called.

That is the exact kind of cheap shot that will unfortunately, and hopefully not, result in a player getting paralyzed. I despise the Oilers too but I'm always objective. The hockey world would be far better off without "fans" who look at the team sweater first before passing judgement. Best of luck.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
How anyone can say he lost an edge after watching the 2nd video in the OP is beyond me. NHL refs are terrible, thats the moral of the story. Doesn't really matter from an Edmonton perspective with the season being over, but I can see how some might be frustrated given how much it seems has gone against Edmonton rather than for them this season (PP opportunities league worst, seemingly everything being allowed against McDavid, coaches challenges being 13-1, etc). Is what it is. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the season because McDavid and Draisaitl are still a treat to watch.

Benning is leaning towards the right, using the inside edge of his right skate. His right leg goes out from underneath him in the opposite direction he is pushing on. This is because his inside edge loses contact with the ice... he loses his edge.

I completely get that when you watch the reply in slow motion and are able to see the timing of Kane's contact and when Benning loses his edge that the two are most likely related. But at full speed, with no ability to rewatch it, I can also see how a ref could come to the conclusion that Benning was going down regardless.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
And that's the problem with NHL officiating.

They should always call fouls that take away/lead directly to scoring chances.

This might be the other reason why Kane wasn't called and Draisaitl's was. After Kane's hit the Oilers gain possession and had a chance to clear the zone. The Sharks score shortly after the keep in. Draisaitl's cross-check turned a 3on3 into a 3on2

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Remember, the referees are totally here to save the Sharks. They especially help them on boarding calls. That's why there were a total of 0 penalties awarded on any of these plays.

And all of these happened in San Jose, where the home cooking is super strong. Why do the referees love California players? Why do they go above and beyond to keep California players safe after these boarding plays that injure them? I don't know.

To be honest, aside from the Gudas hit, these just look like hockey plays gone wrong. Still penalties, but I don't think the intent was bad at all. Schmidt is trying to get body position on Ward when he suddenly stopped. Johansen was trying to separate and seal off Vlasic from the puck

I'd say the same for what Kane did. Guys do anything to get that extra separation or throw a guy off a bit in the defensive zone. A little push, a little hook, or anything that they can use to get an opportunity to pounce on a loose puck.

Personally, I don't like when players do the push on the hip pads from behind. It doesn't seem dangerous but it will almost always cause a player to lose balance. Where Benning was, it becomes a dangerous play.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
To be honest, aside from the Gudas hit, these just look like hockey plays gone wrong. Still penalties, but I don't think the intent was bad at all. Schmidt is trying to get body position on Ward when he suddenly stopped. Johansen was trying to separate and seal off Vlasic from the puck

I'd say the same for what Kane did. Guys do anything to get that extra separation or throw a guy off a bit in the defensive zone. A little push, a little hook, or anything that they can use to get an opportunity to pounce on a loose puck.

Personally, I don't like when players do the push on the hip pads from behind. It doesn't seem dangerous but it will almost always cause a player to lose balance. Where Benning was, it becomes a dangerous play.

I think the Johansen hit on Vlasic was pretty bad. The head was the primary point of contact.

I wasn't trying to imply they were particularly dirty plays either, just that they were certainly penalties that all occurred in San Jose and went uncalled in important moments in important games.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
So you are saying the lottery was rigged? Interesting.

Not sure how you inferred that from those two posts, seems to me like they're arguing the exact opposite. If the league is truly out to get the Oilers, then theoretically they WOULD have riggged the draft to keep them from getting #1 picks, particularly in the McDavid draft.

Regarding the thread topic, I would agree that the Sharks got away with one. Not a malicious hit, but should've been a two-minute cross check or boarding penalty.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
This is like saying, no one remembers all the hits Scott Stevens threw on the way to NJ winning their multiple cups. The game was called much differently even in 2006, that your lack of context makes your post rather meaningless.

Sorry, no it's not and you're analogy is horrible.

The fact that the Oilers have benefitted in the past from actual dirty hits which changed the course of a playoff series to their favor to the present where they're not getting a call from a guy who went down from barely being touched means I could care less what Oiler fans think of the Sharks after that play.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Whats the difference between that and when a player barley trips another, or barely high sticks someone, or barely shoots it over the glass?

People calling the play dirty are a bit off, but if you are pursuing people into the boards, its your responsibility to not run them head first into the boards.

That routinely gets called a penalty.

By this logic every light one-handed tap on the shin pads should be 2 minutes

Slashing is slashing

member 262271

Forgot Matt Benning existed. Thought somehow a Shark hit a player so hard he flew into Jim Benning. Ah well.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
To be fair it was a really, really light cross check. Boarding? lol

Benning defintely sold it, should have been 2 for cross check 2 for diving.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorry, no it's not and you're analogy is horrible.

The fact that the Oilers have benefitted in the past from actual dirty hits which changed the course of a playoff series to their favor to the present where they're not getting a call from a guy who went down from barely being touched means I could care less what Oiler fans think of the Sharks after that play.
Sorry, actually it is, and my analogy was great. You compared a play that was generally legal at the time (a hit to the head with a shoulder, although you could argue it may have been late), to a play that is generally considered illegal. Your comparison was the awful one.

As to what Oilers fans think of the Sharks after that play, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything I said. I didn't say, nor feel that this play had any influence on my opinion of the San Jose Sharks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Benning is leaning towards the right, using the inside edge of his right skate. His right leg goes out from underneath him in the opposite direction he is pushing on. This is because his inside edge loses contact with the ice... he loses his edge.

I completely get that when you watch the reply in slow motion and are able to see the timing of Kane's contact and when Benning loses his edge that the two are most likely related. But at full speed, with no ability to rewatch it, I can also see how a ref could come to the conclusion that Benning was going down regardless.
He's actually using the outside edge of his right skate. Sure if you're being technical he loses his edge, but the loss of the edge is quite evidently from the crosscheck/push. I also wasn't arguing about the play at full speed, I commented that I have no idea how anyone who watches that 2nd video in the OP could think Benning lost his edge on his own.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To be fair it was a really, really light cross check. Boarding? lol

Benning defintely sold it, should have been 2 for cross check 2 for diving.
well I hope the players of the team you cheer for get the same treatment down the road if you think plays like these should be allowed in the NHL...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They have before and will again
well Im sure you never complained about that hit on BOS player then.. and the B fans that did are bunch of pansies who dont know hockey.

Soon cheap stuff like this will become the norm until something really bad happens. McDavid and co seem to be learning from this and will adjust their game\cheapness accordingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad