Sharks get away with a boarding call that nearly took out Benning.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I am not an Oilers fan but I don't think I've ever seen a team get screwed by the officials as bad as the Oilers did in last years playoffs and continuing this year.

Close second would be the Canucks a few years ago.......not a fan of them either.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The ref never called the cross check Kane delivered to Benning that was very dangerous...yet called Drasaitl's love tap on Kane moments later...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Should have been a 2 minute boarding. Regardless of intent (and I don't think Kane intended anything dirty), he did make contact that resulted in a player hitting the boards hard. And thinking someone would dive into the boards like that is a funny take.

Refs screw up. Sharks had this one go in their favor when they've had others go against them.

You could argue from the refs point of view, since he didn't have the benefit of replay, that it looked like Benning lost his balance.

Missed 2 minutes, and a goal resulted. Unfortunate but it happens.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
maybe its the angles and the quality but i've seen much harder boards not called

didn't really look like there was a whole lot there
Its not that the cross check going uncalled thats the problem man..it the safety of the player...I don't care if Kane love tapped Benning or piled into him with the cross check..it the timing of it and the potential injury that it could've caused (thankfully didn't). IMO that's 100% a penalty for that fact alone.

And to oppose your comment of seeing worse uncalled...ive seen softer plays like that get called..sometimes leading to game ejections.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I dont think Kane meant to do it, but thats a penalty. Comical that the ref saw the whole thing and let play continue.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Refs were terrible again, letting things go, allowing things to escalate. Thankfully no one hurt. I guess I can give them some props though, at least they weren't as terrible as some of the recent sharks games.

Reactions: Phu

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I have to assume the ref felt that Benning lost an edge, which he does, and that is why he crashed into the boards.

Watching the replay a few times and from different angles, there is obviously a case to be made that Kane's contact with Benning is the reason he loses his edge. Not sure there is enough force for a cross-checking penalty however boarding could easily have been called.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah he let it go but we all mess up once in awhile. Plus refs have a lot of travel. West coast game after a long flight not the easiest to do with respect to the city he was coming from last game.

One of the most ******** excuses i've ever read on HF. Dont give me that.

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
When the play happened, I frowned and thought, 'There's a penalty.' Then they didn't call one and I thought 'Hmm... okay...'

Then the Sharks scored and I cheered and had a bad taste in my mouth at the same time. Refs missed a lot of calls on the Sharks last night. It was a strange role reversal for them over the past few weeks.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
The ref never called the cross check Kane delivered to Benning that was very dangerous...yet called Drasaitl's love tap on Kane moments later...
'Cept that was a crosscheck... a crosscheck is a crosscheck.

This particular missed call was awful, but considering that Labanc got interfered with and the Oilers scored off a freebie, it goes both ways.

Also let's not forget Benning punching Meier away from the play for no real reason other than "I'M ANGRY GRRRRRRR" that wasn't called.

Refs stunk, but Talbot letting in absolutely deflating goals sunk them last night.

Reactions: THall4

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Refs def have something against the Oilers. The organization being a joke also leads to these things. Never calling out the refereeing, never complaining to the league and never letting the refs have it for missed calls during the game all adds up. Referee's know its free reign on the Oilers. Whether you call it or not won't matter. For every Mclellan, there is a Laviolette , who lets the refs have it for ridiculous calls.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Nobody remembers when Raffi Torres clocked Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs and changed the course of that series?

Yeah, I got no problem with Kane barely touching Benning and then a no call and goal in a regular season game. Works fine for me.

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Refs def have something against the Oilers. The organization being a joke also leads to these things. Never calling out the refereeing, never complaining to the league and never letting the refs have it for missed calls during the game all adds up. Referee's know its free reign on the Oilers. Whether you call it or not won't matter. For every Mclellan, there is a Laviolette , who lets the refs have it for ridiculous calls.

Did the refs have it against the Oilers when they let a blatant interference on Nurse go that directly led to their 2nd goal? Of course they didn't. The Oilers are just having a bad season and teams that are either bad or having a bad season tend to not get calls their way.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Nobody remembers when Raffi Torres clocked Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs and changed the course of that series?

Yeah, I got no problem with Kane barely touching Benning and then a no call and goal in a regular season game. Works fine for me.

That wasn't a missed call so I don't see what it has to do with anything.

Stuff like that was acceptable for some reason in 2006.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Borderline penalty, barely touched him. And of course, league is not against the Oilers and there is no conspiracy or whatever. That is just a pathetically immature perspective to have.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You lost respect for the Sharks, as in the whole team, because a player made a dangerous hit his first game as a shark after being traded......

A lot of whining in this thread. I’m not condoning the hit, but the OP needs to relax

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Should have been a penalty for sure, but it’s hard to call the sharks a dirty team for that...

That is where I came out.

LOLing at the OP for writing off an entire team for 1 marginally bad hit by a player who hadn't even played a full game for the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad