Sharks get away with a boarding call that nearly took out Benning.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Just by your reaction to the play I highly doubt that. To encourage other players to do the same is dangerous (which is what a non-call does.) If plays like that happen all the time then they will be carrying them off on stretchers. Only a matter of time.
Convincing you is not high on my list of priorities.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Yeah, that's absolutely a dive and a hilariously blatant one at that. No one in the NHL is weak enough on their skates to take a love tap like that and suddenly go flying full speed into the boards lol.

tofu

Sep 28, 2017
Kane barely touched him but it should've been a penalty. Not much here to support the Kane hate though. Unfortunate play.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Yeah, that's absolutely a dive and a hilariously blatant one at that. No one in the NHL is weak enough on their skates to take a love tap like that and suddenly go flying full speed into the boards lol.
So he...he dove *into the boards*?
And yes, plenty are when off balance and shoved from behind.
This is ridiculous.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I dislike Kane as much as the next person but ... meh? From what I can see, Kane nudged him. I've pushed poops out harder than that shove.

Sure, he absolutely shouldnt have done it, given Bennings proximity to the boards. But this was hardly the most egregious thing I have ever seen.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
All this is is confirmation bias at it's best,

"Refs are against us"

"OMG they killed Benning! See I told you they are against us"

Meanwhile, back in reality, it was a nothing play, Kane tapped him, Benning lost his edge and fell, if you called that, games would never end, or you would have more fans in here, going omg, game isn't about the refs etc.

Reactions: narfy87

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Whole league against oilers call the police oh wait maybe they are in it too :eek:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
All this is is confirmation bias at it's best,

"Refs are against us"

"OMG they killed Benning! See I told you they are against us"

Meanwhile, back in reality, it was a nothing play, Kane tapped him, Benning lost his edge and fell, if you called that, games would never end, or you would have more fans in here, going omg, game isn't about the refs etc.

He made contact in the back, sending Benning into the boards.

This from the NHL website:

"A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact"

I'm stupefied by the people saying that Benning was lightly put into the boards from behind. How is this not a boarding?

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He made contact in the back, sending Benning into the boards.

This from the NHL website:

"A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact"

I'm stupefied by the people saying that Benning was lightly put into the boards from behind. How is this not a boarding?

Because if you generously applied those standards, you would have about 50 boarding penalties a game, that's why there is common sense in these rules, and as another poster said they are guides, not laws.

Benning wasn't defenseless, so not sure what your argument there is.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Because if you generously applied those standards, you would have about 50 boarding penalties a game, that's why there is common sense in these rules, and as another poster said they are guides, not laws.

Benning wasn't defenseless, so not sure what your argument there is.

Ah, so having your back turned to a player isn't defenseless. Gotcha.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I expected something a lot worse than that.

Is this what a controversial hit is in the NHL in 2018? :laugh:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
It looked like a barely nudge to me. I can understand why the Refs didn't call a penalty, it looked like Benning was already going down.

If there was an actually NHL conspiracy against the Oilers, I doubt it would be penalizing the Oilers because they last thing the league needs is the Oilers being gifted another lottery pick.

If there was a conspiracy against the NHL it would come in the form of 10 5-3 powerplays for the Oilers a game. However to the leagues shock the Oilers would still find a way to lose game.

svnfyre

Feb 13, 2018
remember when raffi torres laid a dirty shot on michalek in the PLAYOFFS when it MATTERED?

hmm. this thread is DONE. and I ended it.

Reactions: BaileyMacTavish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad