Post-Game Talk: Sharks felled by Canucks | 2-6 | Horvat (2), Pettersson, Mikheyev, Hughes, & Boeser

Wholl Win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Of course the one game I miss is a blowout win. On our way to 17th overall!

Any TLDR summary posts of the game?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So I haven't really watched since Pederson started clicking with that line. What's up with him? Is he just this year's version of Chiasson, or does he actually look serviceable? I assumed he was a nothing throw-in in the deal, and there don't seem to be threads on him.

Reactions: Indiana

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not sure score was truly reflective of the game. Canucks were, at times, very sloppy around their net and it took some real screwups by the Sharks to prevent the score from being a lot more even. Typical of the season - little problem producing some goals (especially considering out lack of PP opportunities) but defensive play all over the map too often. And you can look at certain forwards for much of that.

Good

Horvat - is anyone in the League playing better right now?? Second goal in this one was very high end. Ludicrous how others make some ridiculous trades giving us virtually nothing for him.. If you had any guarantee that he was moving his game up to this elite level on some sort of continuous basis you'd have to look to keep him. Beyond the scoring, for the most part has looked better in his end as well.

Mikheyev - missed a couple of possible goals but there are indications that he is learning to finish off his chances. Very good game and might have been the best player on the ice. Beginning to look like a good off season pick up.

Hughes - just on the goal if nothing else. Rest seems to have done him some good - skating was better.

Myers - solid game. Was the best in his end in breaking up plays and showed some good wheels getting the puck up ice. Not perfect, and never will be, but plays like this and he is a positive.

Garland - hustle never led to much but he had to carry the Miller line. That line had nothing going without Garland. Created a number of turnovers and not his fault they led to nothing

Pettersson - another good two way effort.

Martin - again unsettled around his goal and over reacting and losing his angles. Needs to stay squared up to the play much better. However, he was forced into some very good saves at critical times in the game. HIs play doesn't give you much confidence but somehow he was stopping the puck.

Bear - real good game. Lot of good one on one work and showed his mobility throughout. Moving the puck well coming out of his zone and then getting up to support the play.

Bad

Miller - probably the worst Canuck in this game. Defensive game was dreadful and good indication he can't be used at center. Couldn't get there much of the time and mishandled the puck throughout.

Lazar - playing way too far up the lineup. I guess he is suppose to provide some board work and defensive presence - (certainly isn't going to give you any offense - 2 points in 23 games) However work in his own end was bad and he left his side open much of the time. Also, he wasn't getting back to help the defense by channeling people out of the middle on the ice. Point was always open. If Podkolzin is brought back up he should be the first guy coming out of the lineup.

Stillman - decent first period but then started getting beat at the blue line. By the third was back to stumbling around his end.

Others

Boeser - a passenger much of the night on the Horvat line. Still he did make an effort defensively and picked up some points.

Kuzmenko - played a lot in spurts and had some trouble getting the puck out of his end. Major league play on the assist on Mikheyev goal

Team seems to settling into the middle of the pack and likely a couple points out of the playoffs. Can forget. I think, getting one top guns out of the draft. Like usual got to settle back and enjoy the ride, recognizing the long term needs of the team won't be realized.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Ok but why are you discounting the first 8 games? That’s part of my point. We need to own that start. It’s not acceptable.
I don't know what you're wanting here. For better or worse the team started the season badly, yes. Literally all they can do is improve, and they have.

What it looks like to me is you're just annoyed about the positive vibes going on. You've been the same poster here for many years: you're in your element when doom and gloom is most prevalent.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Great to finally see 500 hockey this team is so jeckel and Hyde who knows how long it lasts

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Horvat is gonna be the Bruins Bergeon replacement. He might not fill his shoes but with that support system and culture he'll probably look really good for them
Yep. I said on the main boards they're my bet to get him. Everyone's talking about Columbus and Colorado but I think Boston is in a situation where they NEED him the most. The fact they can still rely on Bergeron to be such a high level of player is a blessing that they probably know they can't take for granted. Any time now he needs to be replaced and they haven't got anyone in the system remotely close to being a 1st or 2nd line C for them (maybe they do, I'm not too familiar with their youth and prospects).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A guy who caught my eye in this game was Jack Studnicka.....that line with Aman and Joshua was a load for the Sharks all game long.

Canucks may have something in this kid. His skating is far better that advertised. In fact at times he was flying around in the Sharks zone, showing another gear. And he's relentless on the puck. I also noted that as the game wore on, Boudreau had him taking some faceoffs, since center is his natural position.

He's getting one or two quality chances every game, but no puck luck. Still, Studnicka is looking like a nice pickup by Allvin. He's definitely not a guy who belongs in the AHL.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I'd honestly be more comfortable giving Horvat $56 million going forward than JT Miller. This is the first time in his career he has played with competent wingers and he's been nothing short of amazing, letting him walk or traded would really seal the deal with me with how much I will support this team going forward.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Damn San Jose looks bad.

Its to bad the pacific division is trash. If the division was half decent that would have pushed management & ownership to make a move. I have a funny feeling Horvat ends up walking in Free Agency
If that happens, I'm actually done. My fandom is hanging on by a thread as it is so it's not like it's even unrealistic that I would kick the team to the curb in my life.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Well, we're about to go through the grinder, so the people who somehow think that losing streak at the beginning of the year is well past us, just wait.

Our upcoming schedule is @ Jets, @ Flames, vs Islanders, vs Avs, @ Jets, @ Pens, @ Lightning, @ Panthers, @ Canes, vs Lightning, vs Avs, vs Oilers. 12 games against playoff teams. Consecutively. I honestly only see 3 wins max in there.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A guy who caught my eye in this game was Jack Studnicka.....that line with Aman and Joshua was a load for the Sharks all game long.

Canucks may have something in this kid. His skating is far better that advertised. In fact at times he was flying around in the Sharks zone, showing another gear. And he's relentless on the puck. I also noted that as the game wore on, Boudreau had him taking some faceoffs, since center is his natural position.

He's getting one or two quality chances every game, but no puck luck. Still, Studnicka is looking like a nice pickup by Allvin. He's definitely not a guy who belongs in the AHL.

Agreed, haven’t minded him at all. He’s got some good speed and hands.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Well, we're about to go through the grinder, so the people who somehow think that losing streak at the beginning of the year is well past us, just wait.

Our upcoming schedule is @ Jets, @ Flames, vs Islanders, vs Avs, @ Jets, @ Pens, @ Lightning, @ Panthers, @ Canes, vs Lightning, vs Avs, vs Oilers. 12 games against playoff teams. Consecutively. I honestly only see 3 wins max in there.
Lets just win every single game and pass all of these teams in the standings

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I'd honestly be more comfortable giving Horvat $56 million going forward than JT Miller. This is the first time in his career he has played with competent wingers and he's been nothing short of amazing, letting him walk or traded would really seal the deal with me with how much I will support this team going forward.

Unfortunately, that decision was made back in the summer when they extended JT, and has only been hammered even further home by Horvat's production. There's just no way to make it work unless we can shed some major contracts.

Lets just win every single game and pass all of these teams in the standings

Too bad real life isn't like Be a GM where you can take over mid simulation for your team, we'd be undefeated :(

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
At this rate the return should be large for Bo which should help ease seeing him on another team.

I got caught up in the hype train last year and saw the Vancouver Canucks barely miss & draft 15th. There is no reason to do that again especially when some moves can set the table up for the future

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
16-15-3

5 gm segments:
0-3-2
2-3-0
2-2-1
3-2-0
3-2-0
3-2-0
3-1-0

10 gm segments:
2-6-2
5-4-1
6-4-0
3-1-0

7-3-0 in last 10

-------
7 game series theory...

0-5-2
4-2-1
4-3-0
4-3-0
4-2-0

-------
Wins - Reg Losses

VGK +12, LA +8, Sea +8
Dal +12, Wpg +9, Min +8

Col +7
Edm+4
Cgy +3
Van +1
Nas EVEN
StL EVEN

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Unfortunately, that decision was made back in the summer when they extended JT, and has only been hammered even further home by Horvat's production. There's just no way to make it work unless we can shed some major contracts.

Too bad real life isn't like Be a GM where you can take over mid simulation for your team, we'd be undefeated :(
Boeser

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Not Boeser...
Myers...

Basically I feel they will find a way...

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Now take away every other team's worst stretch of the season and redo the standings
Yeah the worst stretch still counts (obviously) but timing does matter in terms of how people should or indeed do feel about it. Starting strong and then losing 7 in a row feels worse than losing 7 than doing better. Also the latter is more indicative of recent play and more likely to continue than the former. Have we won a lot in regulation? No, but we are winning and having Petey back has been fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad