Sharks Elimination Number/Draft Pick Scenarios 2015 (UPD: Sharks 9th in lottery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Give it up guys, DW's not taking Provorov or Werenski at #9, even if they're both there. He's gonna trade up to #6 to pick someone you've never heard of.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Strata21

May 25, 2010
Yes. I think Ladd is a good comparison. Statistically, very very very similar. Ladd only had about a PPG in his draft year (IIRC) and he went 5th overall. Now he's an elite 5v5 scorer in the NHL

If you want to be optimistic on Crouse, I think there's a legit argument that he's this year's Landeskog. If you look at Landeskog's draft-1 year (since Landeskog is a late birthday) and compare it to Crouse's draft year, it puts Crouse in a very favorable light. And besides that, Landeskog only scored 66 points in 53 games in his draft year. Jason Akeson scored 108 points and Ryan Murphy scored 79, so it's not like Landeskog didn't have help. Crouse only had 51 points in 56 games, but he also lead his team; Kingston was a wasteland offensively without Bennett (and Watson missed time). I can't remember exactly what it is, but I know Crouse's scoring rate increased dramatically after Bennett came back.

I still think there are better picks, but Crouse is nothing to sniff at. He has every desirable physical trait, very good defensive presence, a helluva mean streak, and a great shot. He's not particularly creative offensively, that's my only real issue.

Ran it too. Sharks won twice in 50 goes, but so did Toronto :)laugh:) and LA didn't win at all.

It sounds like this guy is built for playoff hockey. The Sharks need more guys with his traits in their system (given that they've gone Euro the past few years and their reputation as a "soft" team). I don't know if I would burn a #9 overall on him, but I'm glad we're in good position to draft him should we want him. Maybe we can even move 2-3 slots back should a team be desperate enough to throw in a 2nd and their 1st to move up. Finally something to be excited about.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Give it up guys, DW's not taking Provorov or Werenski at #9, even if they're both there. He's gonna trade up to #6 to pick someone you've never heard of.

This is getting a little old. :laugh:

It sounds like this guy is built for playoff hockey. The Sharks need more guys with his traits in their system (given that they've gone Euro the past few years and their reputation as a "soft" team). I don't know if I would burn a #9 overall on him, but I'm glad we're in good position to draft him should we want him. Maybe we can even move 2-3 slots back should a team be desperate enough to throw in a 2nd and their 1st to move up. Finally something to be excited about.

My personal opinion is that if you are talented you are built for playoff hockey. I really don't see playoff hockey as more physical, just more intense.

If you want someone who's built for playoff hockey, Travis Konecny is your guy. Small kid but physical and gives 110% at all times. Plus he's very talented. He's the exact sort of player you want out protecting a lead in Game 7, cause he'll block impossible shots, or the guy you want to put out there when you're trailing with a minute left, because he will do anything in his power to score, literally anything. Unfortunately, he's really piling up the injuries. Hard for a 5'9" to play his style and stay healthy.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We haven't had a first overall pick. The league owes us.

This is what I'm thinking. It would be like retribution for what has happened over the past year.

Ran the simulator 50 times: Oilers and Sharks won 7 times each...

http://nhllotterysimulator.com

I ran it 35 times, Sharks won 5 times, 'Yotes won 8 and Sabres won 9.

Would be so awesome if we got McDavid. At that point, we could realistically try and contend, we would just need to trade one of our centers (Couture) for a defenseman, like maybe Seth Jones? I know this gets proposed all the time, but, it still isn't a terrible idea.

Marleau-McDavid-Nieto
Karlsson-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Tierney-Wingels
Goldobin-Smith-Goodrow
(Scott, any other call ups)

Dillon-Braun
Vlasic-Jones
Mueller-Burns
(Irwin, Fedun, any other call ups)

Stalock
(Internal promotion or UFA)

That team actually could be a contender in a year or two. Building around Jones and McDavid, and the team has a lot of cap space to ensure players like Jones, Hertl, Tierney, McDavid, etc. can be paid for in the future.

To be honest, if we get a new GM, our core has some decent youth. The only thing is that we need a franchise player, both at forward and defense. Currently, Hertl/Couture and Vlasic are looking like our franchise players for #1D and #1C and that is not a recipe for success. If we're able to acquire cornerstone pieces, our group doesn't look bad at all.

Couture, Hertl, Nieto, Karlsson, Tierney, Goldobin, Dillon, Braun, Mueller, and Vlasic is a decent group if it's backed up by franchise talent. In fact, it would actually look pretty good. The issue with it is that none of these guys are franchise talent. The fatal flaw in the Sharks re-build looks like it may be that Couture, Hertl, and Vlasic are going to be relied on as these franchise cornerstone players going into the future. Even if Wilson is able to acquire some pretty good talent to add to these guys, and all of these players develop perfectly, there's still going to be top level talent missing. They could very well turn out like the St. Louis Blues of recent times.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is getting a little old. :laugh:

My personal opinion is that if you are talented you are built for playoff hockey. I really don't see playoff hockey as more physical, just more intense.

If you want someone who's built for playoff hockey, Travis Konecny is your guy. Small kid but physical and gives 110% at all times. Plus he's very talented. He's the exact sort of player you want out protecting a lead in Game 7, cause he'll block impossible shots, or the guy you want to put out there when you're trailing with a minute left, because he will do anything in his power to score, literally anything. Unfortunately, he's really piling up the injuries. Hard for a 5'9" to play his style and stay healthy.

but, but, but, but, but Joe Thornton! :sarcasm:

And every time there's a "small player who plays hard, but he can't stay healthy because of it" I get sad thinking about Gilbert Brule. Granted he had drive issues too because his dad kind of ****ed him up and he got sick of hockey, but damn he was so frigging awesome in the WHL and he just couldn't cut it in the pros because you can't be a 5'9 buzzsaw unless you're built like a truck.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
but, but, but, but, but Joe Thornton! :sarcasm:

And every time there's a "small player who plays hard, but he can't stay healthy because of it" I get sad thinking about Gilbert Brule. Granted he had drive issues too because his dad kind of ****ed him up and he got sick of hockey, but damn he was so frigging awesome in the WHL and he just couldn't cut it in the pros because you can't be a 5'9 buzzsaw unless you're built like a truck.

Yeah, that sucked. Even though he was never productive in the NHL he showed flashes of skill.

Okay, so since I don't think I've seen a wrap-up: 5% chance we win the lottery and get 1st overall, 83% chance we stay at 9th overall, and 12% chance we fall to 10th overall.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My only memory of Brule was when he picked up Bono hitch hiking.

yeah, he did basically nothing as a pro. In his first camp after getting drafted he got obliterated during an exhibition game and I think broke his sternum. From there he barely ever did anything.

But watching him for a couple of years with the Giants, he was special. He was special enough that there were people saying he could challenge Crosby for 1st overall. I grant those people were out of their minds and it was nowhere near that close, but the fact that it could be brought up at all is a testament to just how good he really was.

His career highlight will probably be the 2005 CHL Top Prospects game. It was in Vancouver and Crosby no-showed because he was "hurt." So with the entire arena holding angry signs berating Crosby for not playing, Brule stepped up and recorded a hat trick en route to being named game MVP to a HUGE ovation. It was amazing (I was there. Got my jersey signed by him. And a hat signed by a bunch of prospects, most of whom ended up sucking, except Carey Price)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Brule was a lot like Falloon, high draft pick with a ton of offensive skill who was rushed and mismanaged by an expansion team.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
Getting the 9th pick is amazing. Most likely it's enough to get either Werenski or Provorov. This also makes the pick valuable if you trade up/down.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
When is the lottery anyways? Usually they do it in that little dead period between end of regular season and start of playoffs, right?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Heh, it'd be funny and sad if the reason they don't draft a defenseman is because they think Demelo is a stud and they don't draft a center because they think there'll be no room for him.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Ok. This is where I was confused. The TSN standings have CBJ ahead of us which would have us picking 8th. I guess their standings are wrong.

It's because they accidentally went off Wins, and not ROWs for the draft order. ESPN did it as well, so I am guessing both used the same person. I don't care if the Sharks are 8th or 9th in the draft pick... just the one that wins the lottery. It will be a real pisser if the Blue Jackets win the lottery... we'll all be complaining about Lerg's goal and the win on that game.

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
kjMExxT.gif

:biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad