GDT: Sharks @ Canucks 7pm NHLN/S1

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I have this strange and scary feeling of optimism...

1395111220738_zpsdb4f22fb.gif

Optimism? From a Sharks fan?:sarcasm:

Seriously though, same here. The forward group is incredibly deep, the d looks solid, Jones impressed me, hopefully it'll work out for us this year. Knock on wood.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Several things to like. Donskoi looked solid on both ends. Jones was calm and one game in, is going to win the Venzinsa this year.

Marleau/Couture didn't look good at all which can't make anyone happy. What happened to Patty's speed? That's an important line to prove last year was a fluke. We'll see if that changes, but there is a lot of competition for top 6 roles.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I may not have paid as much attention to him but I felt like the game passed him by. But he certainly didn't make any mistakes.

Like I said, he didn't do anything spectacular but he kept up with the play and had augmented couple of nice chances, and no mistakes. Looked better than Jake Virtanen anyway.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I have only watched through the 2nd period and haven't read this thread so pardon me if this is redundant, but I think Donskoi has a chance at making the opening night roster - and I think he could leap frog Nieto in the depth chart (I see them as similar-ish players).

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I have only watched through the 2nd period and haven't read this thread so pardon me if this is redundant, but I think Donskoi has a chance at making the opening night roster - and I think he could leap frog Nieto in the depth chart (I see them as similar-ish players).

I didn't see the game, but if those two are at the same level, then the Sharks need to make room for both.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

That's a bold claim. I highly doubt it. I'm probably the highest of anyone on Nieto, but still.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Several things to like. Donskoi looked solid on both ends. Jones was calm and one game in, is going to win the Venzinsa this year.

Marleau/Couture didn't look good at all which can't make anyone happy. What happened to Patty's speed? That's an important line to prove last year was a fluke. We'll see if that changes, but there is a lot of competition for top 6 roles.

Its a preseason game so I don't care. They'll be ready.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
My impressions

Jones- I was a big fan of his before we acquired him and he delivered a perfect game. He has a lot of potential and hopefully he'll deliver as a starter this year.
Burn- Fantastic. Looked like he's already in midseason form while everyone else is still on the golf course.
Smith- Quietly had a solid game. Made some good defensive plays.
Donskoi- Was most interested in seeing him today and I'm really happy with what I saw. Definitely NHL ready imo.
Goldobin- Needs to simplify his game a bit. Getting too fancy caused some issues but overall he looked good.
Martin- Good first game with the team.
Marleau- Wasn't terrible which is an improvement. Not great either but he's heading in the right direction at least.
Hertl- Great game for him. Love seeing him in front of the net. Don't remember the numbers but he did well with faceoffs too.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My impressions

Jones- I was a big fan of his before we acquired him and he delivered a perfect game. He has a lot of potential and hopefully he'll deliver as a starter this year.
Burn- Fantastic. Looked like he's already in midseason form while everyone else is still on the golf course.
Donskoi- Was most interested in seeing him today and I'm really happy with what I saw. Definitely NHL ready imo.
Goldobin- Needs to simplify his game a bit. Getting too fancy caused some issues but overall he looked good.
Marleau- Wasn't terrible which is an improvement. Not great either but he's heading in the right direction at least.
Hertl- Great game for him. Love seeing him in front of the net. Don't remember the numbers but he did well with faceoffs too.

80% for Hertl.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My impressions

I think he was 8/10

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'd say he will likely turn into a better player but he might be a year away.

Doesn't hurt that he's 23 or 24 with several pro seasons under his belt.

Doubt he knocks nieto off but that'd be easier to say if tmac were coaching. So it's possible.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He wasn't flashy, but Rourke Chartier played a very composed, controlled game. Usually a sign of being polished!

At this point, Donskoi has to be the front-runner for a open roster spot, as well as the "surprise" of training camp.

I have noticed Hertl going to the dangerous areas of the net with great frequency these past few games. That is a refreshing thing to see.

Goldoblin is obviously talented, but in terms of seasoning, he apparently hasn't improved since last year. The big deficits in his positioning and awareness are masking his good offensive talent. He's likely a prospect who is going to need AHL time.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
That's a bold claim. I highly doubt it. I'm probably the highest of anyone on Nieto, but still.

It is bold considering it is based on having watched him in only 4 games (and he was not very good in his first game IMO), but he plays a solid game and more on the defensive side than the offensive side (which is what it seems got him the contract). I had initially thought of him as a top 6 or bust type of player, but I think he could be good on the 3rd line + PK. His PK on Mueller's penalty late in the 2nd was impressive. Nieto will probably win out based on being a veteran, but based on their relative performance in the pre-season I'd take Donskoi.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
That was a fun game.

I'm so relieved that hertl looks healthy, engaged, and very noticeable. I'm really excited to see him keep growing.

Donskoi was as advertised, he looked ready, and much better defensively than I knew. He'll make the team I think.

Goldobin is going to be great, he's the only one outside of Thornton that's willing to take risks, knowing his passing and puck handling as so good, makes turnovers, but also makes a lot of chances. I'd like to see him make the team, because I think he and hertl could finally give us a dangerous 2nd power play unit. Not sure there is room for him this year though, and a year in the ahl could do wonders for him.

I was really excited about the Jones signing, and he looked great too. I'm floored by how calm he is, he barely moves, and doesn't seem to need to cause he's in great position. Now we need to see if he can be consistently good, I for one think he will.

There's no chance it'll happen, but I gotta say, braun/mueller looked good as a pairing. As did Martin/burns, they could be a beast of a pairing this year.

There are a lot of people sleeping on this team this year, which I sort of understand, but if jones winds up being the real deal, I don't think we've had a more complete team, especially in our bottom six, in a long time, if ever. Could be a really fun year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad