GDT: Sharks @ Canucks 7pm NHLN/S1

Mara

May 10, 2011
Donskoi was as advertised, he looked ready, and much better defensively than I knew.

His team in Finland played a very defensive style of hockey, so he certainly knows that side of the game well. As for PK, he started playing that late 2014 I think. Not his strong suit but not a weakness either.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Donskoi has been penciled in on my NHL roster since start of the month.

Brown definitely looks like the "odd man out" in that case.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I hope that game convinces them to play Hertl at center this year. 8/10 on faceoffs and generally effective. Yay center logjam

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Jones looked great.

A couple of the young guys got better as the game went on.

Will be very interesting to see how this roster fills out and what line combos develop. It's should be a good test for DeBoer.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Was interesting that they switched hertl to center. Hope he starts the year there. Smith can play wing I think.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
1395111220738_zpsdb4f22fb.gif

Optimism? From a Sharks fan?:sarcasm:

Seriously though, same here. The forward group is incredibly deep, the d looks solid, Jones impressed me, hopefully it'll work out for us this year. Knock on wood.

Sharks did themselves in and out of the playoffs, not other teams. All they have to do this season to make the 1st round is not do themselves in again.

When hockey analysts in the media rate the Sharks this year, they routinely forgot that fact. So do some of us in Hfboards, particularly in the main NHL forum.

Sharks were a 1st round playoff team last year, and one this year. To me, question is are the Sharks more than a 1st round team.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I really enjoyed watching the last two games. I was really impressed by a number of players. I think Saturday's game against the Ducks will be a better test, since the Canucks don't seem very good this year.

I don't like the 3 on 3 overtime. I don't have any issues with the shootout, and would prefer more 4 on 4 time if the number of shootouts is truly an issue.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Blame the NHLPA. League wanted like 4 minutes of 4x4 followed by 3 minutes of 3x3. Union didn't want to add to time played by its members.

So the compromise is 5 minutes of 3x3.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Blame the NHLPA. League wanted like 4 minutes of 4x4 followed by 3 minutes of 3x3. Union didn't want to add to time played by its members.

So the compromise is 5 minutes of 3x3.

Thanks for the information. I can understand why the union wouldn't want more playing time per game. I should say I don't like any change to 3 on 3 overtime is all, especially after watching it in a few games.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
Thanks for the information. I can understand why the union wouldn't want more playing time per game. I should say I don't like any change to 3 on 3 overtime is all, especially after watching it in a few games.

I agree. It looked like an exhibition to me. Still, it is just a few games into pre season, maybe it'll grow on me.
Unimpressed so far
If after OT 3v3, still have the shoot-out, right?

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
My notes on last night:

Hertl and Donskoi were awesome
Jones was great
Liked the Martin-Burns pairing
Didn't like the Mueller-Braun pairing
Goldobin looked better than he did the other night, and his goal was nice

EyeSeeSharks

Aug 18, 2015
If last night was any indication of what Martin Jones will bring us, I like what I see.

Hertl looks ready to take it up a notch, I really hope Nieto does the same.

Don't know if it will stick once things get real, but I'm liking the Burns-Martin D pairing.

Goldobin was better last night than he was the night before, but I still think he's a Barracuda and not quite a Shark yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad