Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Nick Merkley for Christian Jaros (Merkley Signed 2-way, 1yr/$750k)

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He played with Rourke Chartier for the Kelowna Rockets. Chartier had a 48 goal season he was a big part of that if i remember correctly.
Yep. Remember wanting him when Chartier was considered one of our only/best prospects because of their play together. Also wonder where the org goes now as Meloche and Merkley are the only RHD not named Burns/Karlsson in the organization. Guess it is something you can address in a number of ways, but with Simek being rumored to be on the move as well not sure who they have in mind to play with the Cuda and be depth D.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
DW: "We're thrilled to get Nick on the team. We believe he adds a lot to our bottom 6 and that he'll have a strong brotherly influence on Ryan and... what? They're not brothers? They're not even related at all? f***. What are we going to with 10,000 "Super Merkley Bros." t-shirts?"

*Both Merkley's have been waived*

Reactions: sharski

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nick Merkley was one of the key pieces in the Taylor Hall trade. This could actually be a solid pickup.

Not sure he was really a key piece of that trade, which was really centered around the the 1st round pick & Kevin Bahl. Could be a solid pickup for the Sharks though. Most Devils fans wanted to see the team give him a longer look with the big club and we were surprised when he was waived at the beginning of the season (and to a lesser extent again later in the season). Seemed to play well in spurts and thought he would come into this season competing for a roster spot, especially with Bastian (lost in the expansion draft) and Maltsev (part of the Graves trade) gone, but as was mentioned before it just seemed like some of the other younger guys surpassed him. Hope he sticks in SJ.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
DW: "We're thrilled to get Nick on the team. We believe he adds a lot to our bottom 6 and that he'll have a strong brotherly influence on Ryan and... what? They're not brothers? They're not even related at all? f***. What are we going to with 10,000 "Super Merkley Bros." t-shirts?"
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm laughing so hard my eyes are watering.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Just checked his stats. He didn’t play on PK and had 8 FO in 27 games this season.
Anyway, I’m OK with this trade. Just swap of two depth players.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
Memorable Forward Lines in Sharks History

No. 7: Sergei Makarov—Igor Larionov—Johan Garpenlov

No. 6: Scott Thornton—Mike Ricci—Niklas Sundstrom

No. 5: Tomas Hertl—Joe Thornton—Brent Burns

No. 4: Milan Michalek—Patrick Marleau—Steve Bernier

No. 3: Jeff Friesen -- Vincent Damphousse--Owen Nolan

No. 2: Johnathon Cheecho—Joe Thornton—Mark Bell

No. 1: Patrick Marleau--Joe Thornton--Joe Pavelski

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
200w.gif

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You gotta mention Ekman - Thornton - Cheechoo in any memorable lineup. That line was so fun.

Also; was just reading about Merkley and he is kind of fascinating. He’s supposed to be a very smart, tenacious and good playmaker and he hasn’t really gotten much of an opportunity anywhere to prove himself. He’s definitely low on the prospect chart (though I think he can win the RW on the 4th line) but he does seem to have the talent to be more and the Sharks desperately need playmakers.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Memorable Forward Lines in Sharks History

No. 7: Sergei Makarov—Igor Larionov—Johan Garpenlov

No. 6: Scott Thornton—Mike Ricci—Niklas Sundstrom

No. 5: Tomas Hertl—Joe Thornton—Brent Burns

No. 4: Milan Michalek—Patrick Marleau—Steve Bernier

No. 3: Jeff Friesen -- Vincent Damphousse--Owen Nolan

No. 2: Johnathon Cheecho—Joe Thornton—Mark Bell

No. 1: Patrick Marleau--Joe Thornton--Joe Pavelski

I forget who was paired with Korky in the year the Sharks went to the conference final (03-04). Was it McCauley and Ekman? I remember his line being very fun to watch that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad