Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Adin Hill and 2022 7th from Arizona for Josef Korenar and 2022 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
GSAA is just goals saved above average based on league average save percentage. Doesn't incorporate shot quality.

Haha, thanks for all the kind words everybody. Much appreciated. I definitely would not be where I am now without the lessons I learned from my time on this forum.

For once in my life, though, I actually agree with the endpoint of Doctor Soraluce's bad faith argument: I haven't accomplished anything just yet. My goal when I started TopDownHockey 9 months ago was to eventually work for an NHL team, and that hasn't happened yet. Of course, when it does happen, we know Doctor Soraluce will inevitably move the goal posts. But he can have his fun for now. :)

If Vegas offers you a job will you A) throw desert sand in their face, B) laugh, and then throw sand, or C) send the Goodrow OT goal photo as your response? :laugh::laugh:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
"Guys trust me, the stats show Vlasic should be playing top defensive minutes on this team.

Stone? Gotta trade him. Can't win with that cat. Look at how many cups he's won so far. Zero. The numbers don't lie."
We get the Rooster in PDB's ear about Marc-Edouard Bure-Vlasic and the possibilities are endless. Krebs + Tuch + 1st for Vlasic incoming.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
If Vegas offers you a job will you A) throw desert sand in their face, B) laugh, and then throw sand, or C) send the Goodrow OT goal photo as your response? :laugh::laugh:

TBH getting into the Vegas sporting scene could have a lot of potential due to the sports + gambling connection. While gambling isn't local, all the leagues may want to use Vegas franchises as the flagship for generating buzz. So, there might be more onus to pull out all the stops to keep VGK competitve, as well as opportunities to find ways to increase the league's gambling revenue.

Not to go too off topic, but I think that's why MLB will try to expand to Vegas, whether it's the A's/Rays or an expansion club.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
speaking of which, remind PDB that Melker Karlsson is currently a Free Agent. He can just place that scrub Pacioretty on waivers to make room for him. Ain't nobody need that guy.
I'm not sure how the waiver pick up list would work, no sense in chancing him landing ANA or LA. MaxPac for Gamby.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
For once in my life, though, I actually agree with the endpoint of Doctor Soraluce's bad faith argument: I haven't accomplished anything just yet. My goal when I started TopDownHockey 9 months ago was to eventually work for an NHL team, and that hasn't happened yet. Of course, when it does happen, we know Doctor Soraluce will inevitably move the goal posts. But he can have his fun for now. :)

Nothing "bad faith" at all in my argument. Interesting that you ignored my actual critique of some of the results of your NHLe model.

As far as the bolded... Sounds like the typical thinking of the current younger generation that something like that is just expected. Regardless, hope it works out and you get to do something you enjoy for a living.

Something to think about though... I'm not sure which NHL front office is going to hire you considering you spend all your time trashing most of them on twitter using your real name. These guys all know each other and a bunch likely already have analytics guys running models similar to yours with access to more relevant data points to put their results in better context. I don't see that job interview going as well as you imagine in your own head. ;)

Last edited:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The vibe on this board seems to be that Hill is going to be a game changer.

Curious if that's more about how terrible Jones was or Hills actual skills. I'm getting a sense that folks seem overly confident in Hill for someone who still seems relatively unproven with a pretty small sample size.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Curious if that's more about how terrible Jones was or Hills actual skills. I'm getting a sense that folks seem overly confident in Hill for someone who still seems relatively unproven with a pretty small sample size.

Yes to the Jones thing, but I also see Hill as a goalie who's showed promise and is at a good age to take a step forward.

Also interesting to look at the trade for him in the context of what Colorado paid for Kuemper.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I don't think anyone's looking at Hill as a game-changer. Just that he can't possibly be as bad or worse than Jones.

Of course the bar for "better than Jones" starts at a plastic lawn flamingo with goalie pads duct taped to it, so we're not exactly asking for the moon.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
If Hill can give the team confidence that he won't let in a goal on the first shot or within the first 3 minutes of a game, I would call that a game changer

That being said, I'm also fully confident that Jones will have a bounceback season in Philly and will so much better than he did his last few years here

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I feel like Hill has a significant amount of leverage to negotiate his contract right now.
He's an RFA with limited games played. I don't see him having a ton of leverage since the Sharks brought in a legit starter caliber goalie to pair with him. I would expect Reimer to have the upper hand as the starter at least at the beginning of this first season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Hill can give the team confidence that he won't let in a goal on the first shot or within the first 3 minutes of a game, I would call that a game changer

That being said, I'm also fully confident that Jones will have a bounceback season in Philly and will so much better than he did his last few years here

That's true but the team needs to start on time and not give up breakaways thirty seconds into a game either.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Didn't make the connection myself but friend at lunchtime pickup reminded me of this interesting factoid. I've been going to winter hawks games for a number of years but never really followed the players until Blich was drafted by the Sharks. I vaguely remember them having a really good goalie a number of years ago but he wasn't picked by the Shark so I didn't follow his career after he left the Winterhawks. Turns out it was Adin Hill. I don't really remember anything too specific about him other than the fact he was really good in the few games I saw and the guys I play pickup with that are tied into the team talked highly of him back then. Pretty wild.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Great trade Doug! I think this absolute heist has earned him another 15 years as GM.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Great trade Doug! I think this absolute heist has earned him another 15 years as GM.
What is your problem, like why are you here? I'm not sure if you're a Kurz/Sideshow Radeem burner account or if someone is force feeding you a slurry of EK9/EK65 crap in your morning breakfast you call 'The Bad Contract Gulp'. Should DW move on? Probably. Does ownership mandate them to contend for the cup? Who knows.

He took two swings at rebuilding the goaltending. Reimer is a massive success, Hill is not looking so good. Most fans complain about teams being stagnant but taking a shot isn't the end of the world. But like, why walk into this forum being a constant negative nancy? Don't you have the Score app for that? /r/hockey loves narratives too, check that out.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What is your problem, like why are you here? I'm not sure if you're a Kurz/Sideshow Radeem burner account or if someone is force feeding you a slurry of EK9/EK65 crap in your morning breakfast you call 'The Bad Contract Gulp'. Should DW move on? Probably. Does ownership mandate them to contend for the cup? Who knows.

He took two swings at rebuilding the goaltending. Reimer is a massive success, Hill is not looking so good. Most fans complain about teams being stagnant but taking a shot isn't the end of the world. But like, why walk into this forum being a constant negative nancy? Don't you have the Score app for that? /r/hockey loves narratives too, check that out.

Maybe he shouldn't have taken a swing at rebuilding the goaltending that involved trading a basement dwelling team's 2nd round pick for a goalie who wasn't even very good in the AHL.

They literally would have been better off just keeping Jones. At least they would still have the pick and be on the hook for one less year on Jones' buyout. It's not like they're using the cap savings anyway.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

he'd probably be complaining if they were legitimately tanking too. he's just that kind of person.

Reactions: Gecklund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad