Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Adin Hill and 2022 7th from Arizona for Josef Korenar and 2022 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Hill will also end up costing 3M or close to it.

Are Bernier's negotiating rights really worth that much? I remember we traded Niemi's rights to Dallas back in the day for a 7th can't imagine less than a week of talking to Bernier is much more valuable than that.
Well, Bernier's negotiating rights are worth more than Jones, and Carolina wasn't going to be interested in Korenar since he's not NHL ready. We have to see if Carolina signs Bernier. I don't think this is a good look for Doug though, would Carolina have just taken the Sharks 2nd? We don't know unfortunately.

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You do realize that Carolina and Bernier likely have the broad strokes of a deal already worked out before the trade happened?

The reality is that DW didn't have the pieces to make the same trade with Carolina since they obviously wanted an NHL caliber goalie coming back.

No I don't realize that because it hasn't been announced yet. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. The fact remains they are not getting a NHL caliber goalie back they are getting a 5-day window to negotiate a contract with him before 31 other teams can.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Well, Bernier's negotiating rights are worth more than Jones, and Carolina wasn't going to be interested in Korenar since he's not NHL ready. We have to see if Carolina signs Bernier. I don't think this is a good look for Doug though, would Carolina have just taken the Sharks 2nd? We don't know unfortunately.

We also don't know if the Sharks even had an interest in Nedeljkovic

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
No I don't realize that because it hasn't been announced yet. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. The fact remains they are not getting a NHL caliber goalie back they are getting a 5-day window to negotiate a contract with him before 31 other teams can.

I get that might be the case but given how Carolina operates I highly doubt it and that is ZERO chance that Carolina made this move without at least speaking to his agent.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
you mean the same Friedman who tries too hard to link just about every player with talent to the Maple Leafs? He's a glorified Eklund. I don't take him too seriously.

Well he broke this trade after reporting on Ned's availability weeks ago so maybe you should take him seriously.

Reactions: timorous me

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Yeah they had to ask every team about their goalies. Especially ones out of contract. It's their responsibility to turn over every stone, not lock in on one guy.

"hello, This is Doug Wilson. I am calling to inquire about the availaibility of Andre Va*click*brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Yeah they had to ask every team about their goalies. Especially ones out of contract. It's their responsibility to turn over every stone, not lock in on one guy.
No, it's their responsibility to scout the goalies and do what they need to do within reason for the guy that they think is the best total package. Right or wrong, DW has mentioned "big" as something that they look for in a starting goalie both when they acquired Jones in 2015 and now with Hill. The difference between a 2nd and 3rd round pick was not going to be the reason that they did not acquire the goalie that they most wanted and a guy that did not fit their preferred criteria. It's not the only criteria that they should use, but it certainly helps being able to cover more net.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
No, it's their responsibility to scout the goalies and do what they need to do within reason for the guy that they think is the best total package. Right or wrong, DW has mentioned "big" as something that they look for in a starting goalie both when they acquired Jones in 2015 and now with Hill. The difference between a 2nd and 3rd round pick was not going to be the reason that they did not acquire the goalie that they most wanted and a guy that did not fit their preferred criteria. It's not the only criteria that they should use, but it certainly helps being able to cover more net.

Size isn't everything. You'd think he'd know that after rocking with a 6'4" Jones and 6'6" Dubynk tandem that absolutely sucked ass.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Cherry-picking individual data points to try and denigrate a system that works pretty well in the aggregate (but which will always have numerous data points that are "failures") is something I thought went away back when Fire Joe Morgan was still around.
Uh... no. I said there were numerous examples. Feel free to look for your self. But whatever. You guys think what you want.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Size isn't everything. You'd think he'd know that after rocking with a 6'4" Jones and 6'6" Dubynk tandem that absolutely sucked ass.
I literally said that in my last sentence, so thanks for pointing that out? Jones being 6'4 is the main reason we didn't get swept out of the SCF in 2016 when he was the best player on either team for 6 games. Dubnyk was a very good NHL goalie for about a 6-7 year stretch. The goalies consistently in the Vezina conversations year after year are bigger goalies. Being big isn't the only attribute you need to be a good NHL goalie, but a large majority of the elite ones have that going for them while the smaller goalies usually fall into tandem guys. There are exceptions obviously, but they tend to be more projectable starters assuming they have other requisite skills.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
you mean the same Friedman who tries too hard to link just about every player with talent to the Maple Leafs? He's a glorified Eklund. I don't take him too seriously.

:laugh:

this is just a bad take. Even if he links players to the Leafs (which for all we know could be a mandate from his bosses because the Canadian national hockey media is nothing if not the engine that drives the Toronto-is-the-center-of-the-hockey-universe hype machine. I can easily see Rogers pushing him to find Leaf angles in everything he can because it makes for more clicks/eyeballs on their product) he still tends to be in on a lot of other stuff. It's miles above being Eklund.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
We also don't know if the Sharks even had an interest in Nedeljkovic
I don’t think they did. He’s smaller and was really only elite this one season, which we’ve seen smaller goalies come in and ride a .930 over 25 games after middling AHL numbers and then go to sub 900 the next season (Dell and Stalock).

I think they overpaid on Hill slightly because that’s the guy they really wanted, being big and also being very athletic. Jones was somewhat athletic before his injuries and he was good when he could move from post to post fast. Hill seems more explosive than Jones in his prime, but also seems to have that fiery, Dubnyk or Rinne like mentality, which is also something I think they were looking for versus Jones’ very passive and quiet personality.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
:laugh:

this is just a bad take. Even if he links players to the Leafs (which for all we know could be a mandate from his bosses because the Canadian national hockey media is nothing if not the engine that drives the Toronto-is-the-center-of-the-hockey-universe hype machine. I can easily see Rogers pushing him to find Leaf angles in everything he can because it makes for more clicks/eyeballs on their product) he still tends to be in on a lot of other stuff. It's miles above being Eklund.
Friedman is great, he does a lot of speculation to be able to crank out more content, I’m assuming at the networks request, but when it comes to actually breaking news, he’s as legit as they come.

Seems like Seraveli has been on everything this off-season though.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
So, if Ned got 2 x 3aav, I imagine Hill will get something similar, but a little lower. 2.75x2 or 2.6x3 is my guess.
Maybe he signs a cheap, prove it deal for like 1x2mil

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I used Patrick bacons stuff. It all shows Hill with higher GSAA per 60 and higher WAR per 60

This on a team that was getting blown out 6-0 in the first period by teams like Colorado and Vegas.

I like Hill more than Ned, don't think you'll have any buyers remorse.

Reactions: JBeast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad