Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Adin Hill and 2022 7th from Arizona for Josef Korenar and 2022 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Hill has been better than Elvis. Smaller sample but both CLB goalies have been horrible
Wouldn't say that. Elvis has a .920 save percentage over 54 starts in CBJ the past 2 years. He's a stud, but he's older and would be a rental or require a long-term deal that runs through the time that he's 33 which isn't something I want to do with goalies.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why does 1 less year of Jones' money on the books matter? You end up paying him more money and having more of his cap hit on the book if you wait a year than if you do it now.

I think I'd just rather eat the cap hit for three years at 4.6 having him off the team than have an extra three years at 1.6 in dead money. Like their odds of competing the next three years and really needing that extra two mil and change depending on the year isn't that great so just eat it and be done with it as early as possible.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There's also the chance loaning Jones to some AHL team in the middle of nowhere makes him hate his life enough to terminate the contract. Good Guy Doug would never even consider that though.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Wouldn't say that. Elvis has a .920 save percentage over 54 starts in CBJ the past 2 years. He's a stud, but he's older and would be a rental or require a long-term deal that runs through the time that he's 33 which isn't something I want to do with goalies.
Hill has the better fancy stats. 0.09 goals saved above expected per 60 mins vs Elvis with -0.01

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
Hill has been better than Elvis. Smaller sample but both CLB goalies have been horrible

Sadly he has not. No idea where you even came to that conclusion. Hill has a .909 career sv % in the AHL AND NHL. Elvis has a .920 in the NHL and a .921 in over 100 in the NLA. What an absurd thing to say or even think. Fancy stats don't matter.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Hill has the better fancy stats. 0.09 goals saved above expected per 60 mins vs Elvis with -0.01
Also not true. Per Natural Stattrick, Merzlikins has 19.05 GSAA over the past two seasons and Hill has 5.61. Hill has played basically half of the minutes of Merzlikins so if you double it for comparison sake it would be 19.05 to 11.22. Only issue with Merzlikins is age and contract.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Also not true. Per Natural Stattrick, Merzlikins has 19.05 GSAA over the past two seasons and Hill has 5.61. Hill has played basically half of the minutes of Merzlikins so if you double it for comparison sake it would be 19.05 to 11.22. Only issue with Merzlikins is age and contract.
I used Patrick bacons stuff. It all shows Hill with higher GSAA per 60 and higher WAR per 60

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Why does 1 less year of Jones' money on the books matter? You end up paying him more money and having more of his cap hit on the book if you wait a year than if you do it now.

Because the Sharks arnt a contender next year and they could be in 2027 when we need the cap space

Reactions: weastern bias

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think I'd just rather eat the cap hit for three years at 4.6 having him off the team than have an extra three years at 1.6 in dead money. Like their odds of competing the next three years and really needing that extra two mil and change depending on the year isn't that great so just eat it and be done with it as early as possible.
I kind of agree. They'd end up using the cap space to sign someone for even more money with longer term and then we're just continuing down the same path for more years.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Because the Sharks arnt a contender next year and they could be in 2027 when we need the cap space
That $1.6 million won't mean much at that point in time when the cap is going back up and the long term deals for everyone else are expired sans Couture and Karlsson. It will be an entirely new slate with tons of cap freedom. If that money means anything for that season then there were a number of additional bad decisions made along the way. They're probably less likely than ever to be decent in 2026-27 with the age of Couture and Karlsson at that point in time.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
He's a data scientist that worked on improving prospect projection and in particular in improving "NHLe". NHLe works by comparing players success in various leagues and making relationships between them to ultimately project the chance to become an NHLer. He's also improved it to project the chance to breakout as a star.

Also worked on improving the WAR model (wins above replacement).

But don't take my word for it, check out his pinned post on his Twitter: https://twitter.com/TopDownHockey
His detailed breakdown of the models can be found here: Patrick Bacon – Medium

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I never know. Sometimes I’ve just said Mr Rooster, but it’s a unique situation where a guy we have seen for years became a legit presence in the hockey world as his real self
Oddly, it's happened before, one of the OG Sharks board poster is a scout for Winnipeg now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad