Post-Game Talk: Sharks 5, Pens 0 - After the Meat Sweats Subside, It's the Hangover I Must Contend With

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
On the plus side, I thought Riikola had a decent game.
he had one goal scored against him were he could of been a little father out on his man taking away time and space......even though that was nothing compared to some others. but it was more than enough for sully to bench him.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
What can Sid or Geno do?

Yell at their teammates to f***ing not be trash and stop making them do everything?

I know it's Angrrus...but.

It wouldn't hurt if Sid & Geno told their teammates/linemates to play their own game, trust in their own talent, and stop deferring to them like crazy. Not sure it would help or if it hasn't already been done. But I don't think it would hurt.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The entire team has barely been scoring lately. It shouldn't be a surprise that a line that isn't counted on to score has also gone silent. Rust's got only like 2 goals over that same stretch, and he's got Malkin and the top PP unit to help him.

In our last 20 games Rust has 7 goals and 14 points.

Bleuger has 8 points in the last 20.

Hornqvist has 14 points as well.

The issue here is Tanev was paid to be a top nine forward and is producing like a AHL call up over a 20 game period. Which was the main worry about that contract.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Losing streaks are part of leadership. It’s funny how this is always the narrative. Malkin has carried this team all year and continues to be one of the few players producing during this streak.

What exactly did he create in the last two games? Apart from turnovers, careless passes, lost puck battles, weak shots on goal, fumbled pucks, blown defensive coverages, and more turnovers?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In our last 20 games Rust has 7 goals and 14 points.

Bleuger has 8 points in the last 20.

Hornqvist has 14 points as well.

The issue here is Tanev was paid to be a top nine forward and is producing like a AHL call up.

Last 15 games Rust has 3 goals. Again, despite being pinned to Malkin's wing. And again, despite playing on the top PP unit.

Let's not act like Tanev's the only one not producing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Last 15 games Rust has 3 goals. Again, despite being pinned to Malkin's wing. And again, despite playing on the top PP unit.

Let's not act like Tanev's the only one not producing.

Rust has 8 points and 4 goals in his last 15 games.

That is a 20 and 20 pace. I’m not sure that is an issue at 3.75.

Tanev is on pace for 5 goals and 20 points in his last 15. Is that worth 3.5? Because he skated fast?

I get Rust is being fed better minutes. But Tanev and McCann are a huge reason we are losing games.

Reactions: Trade

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Still prefer Sheary over Simon with Sid atm but believe Tanev would be the ideal to plug into a Zucker-Sid RW.

Help is on the way peoples:

e54355b2c889b3bd97bbd1f40dc0723b.png

9a6c1773aa3d3bd12ae91baef91963f4.png

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Step 1: score a couple of goals
Step 2: create a couple more for their linemates/PP unit
Step 3: show caring, selfless, focused, determined attitude right from the opening face off, have a couple of energetic momentum changing shifts. Ignite, inspire and lead the teammates this way.
Step 4: Kick Letang’s butt a couple of times (literally) to wake him the F up and make him stop doing stupid crap.
Step 5: PROFIT!!!

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
That's how I felt at the time. Then, they kept winning, until now.
They kept winning but they were a worse team after Jake went down and a much worse team after Sid came back and we had to try to somehow create two scoring lines with one legitimate top 6 winger and one borderline top 6 winger. That was my assessment anyway, and I think the analytics support it. From there all that needed to happen was for a few guys like Rust, McCann, and both goalies to come back to earth and you have the mess we've been watching. The Kahun trade and Sullivan's lineup choices is icing on the cake.

Eh, who am I kidding. The real reason for this tailspin is ZAR's injury. Once he's healthy we're back in business boys.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
They kept winning but they were a worse team after Jake went down and a much worse team after Sid came back and we had to try to somehow create two scoring lines with one legitimate top 6 winger and one borderline top 6 winger. That was my assessment anyway, and I think the analytics support it. From there all that needed to happen was for a few guys like Rust, McCann, and both goalies to come back to earth and you have the mess we've been watching. The Kahun trade and Sullivan's lineup choices is icing on the cake.

Eh, who am I kidding. The real reason for the tailspin we're in is ZAR's injury. Once he gets back we're back in business boys.

It's as if everything just went south at the same time, huh? The team was punching way above their weight class after Guentzel went down.

The question is whether the last 6 games is the new norm or not for this squad.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Are you kidding? Jarry's magic is entirely gone. I only saw the first 3 goals, but 2 of the 3 were 100% weak goals. He has a .907 save% in 14 games in 2020 so far. He's 100% falling down to earth from what he was earlier in the season.
Are you kidding mate? Like I said, cut the shitty narrative.

Both goalies in the last 3 games.

TJ: 4.00 GAA, 0.869 SV% 0-3 (80 saves)
MM: 3.66 GAA, 0.869 SV% 0-3 (73 saves)

Both have basically identical numbers, one's allowed 12 goals against, the other 11 in their stretch of 3 starts in the 6 game losing streak.

Since 2020:

TJ: 2.85 GAA, 0.915SV% (430 saves, 14 games) 7-6-1
MM: 2.63 GAA, 0.918 SV% (325 saves, 11 games) 6-4-1

They aren't far off from each other, the team itself, has been sloppy since the start of 2020, the injuries were starting to catch up and the bad habits were starting to creep back into the Pens overall game. I wouldn't blame either goalie and especially not one over the other, that's a bullshit narrative, mate.

Reactions: ncm7772 and Big JD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree 100%. Times like these are when you need to keep it simple. It's a funk. Most of the teams have been through one. Pens were bound to finally hit a substantial one. Getting back on track is inevitable.

Naw man...they may have not gotten results, PDO or whatever over the last six games, but this is a team whose puck possession, 5on5 play and goaltending has been diminishing since the calendar turned 2020...we’re just not able to sustain the play we need to play Sully’s system...if the team doesn’t try to surprise teams by playing a different way, I don’t see how we go anywhere...sure, we’re not going to lose all the remaining games and we likely make the POs, but this team ain’t a contender...

btw, I’m watching the Flyers, and their PP is good and unpredictable, with great puck movement...contrast the Pens...another fail...they outthink themselves

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Are you kidding mate? Like I said, cut the shitty narrative.

Both goalies in the last 3 games.

TJ: 4.00 GAA, 0.869 SV% 0-3 (80 saves)
MM: 3.66 GAA, 0.869 SV% 0-3 (73 saves)

Both have basically identical numbers, one's allowed 12 goals against, the other 11 in their stretch of 3 starts in the 6 game losing streak.

Since 2020:

TJ: 2.85 GAA, 0.915SV% (430 saves, 14 games) 7-6-1
MM: 2.63 GAA, 0.918 SV% (325 saves, 11 games) 6-4-1

They aren't far off from each other, the team itself, has been sloppy since the start of 2020, the injuries were starting to catch up and the bad habits were starting to creep back into the Pens overall game. I wouldn't blame either goalie and especially not one over the other, that's a bullshit narrative, mate.

Meh. I think we are seeing Jarry fall back to earth just like Desmith. I don’t see a reason not to stick with one or the other, but I imagine Murray gets the majority of starts here on out.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We are on a 6 game skid. The entire team has been trash defensively.
Which is the truth, but people want to specifically pick out players and blame them or play up some stupid narrative that so and so has lost their magic or mojo or lucky rabbit's foot, etc. The team as a whole, has been playing like the forwards and defense are playing off of different systems and are just absolute trash as a collective. So many bad habits, the injuries are really starting to show it's warts in full force. The addition of Dumoulin and Marino should sort out some of the issues on the defense side of things for the defensemen, but the forwards also need to work on their overall games.

I think one of Dumo or Marino are back for the Sens game, that game will be the switch flip back to winning and playing better.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Meh. I think we are seeing Jarry fall back to earth just like Desmith. I don’t see a reason not to stick with one or the other, but I imagine Murray gets the majority of starts here on out.
I would still rotate. Neither has been amazing over the other or so much of an edge over the other to determine who should get the bulk of the starts.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Right because if we were judging the entire season youd have absolutely no right to complain :laugh:

Point is: with team getting healthier they were supposed to play better, not worse. The trend is disturbing and Crosby and Malkin aren’t doing enough to change it, no matter how you want to sugarcoat it.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Well good thing short sample sizes don’t mean shit. Malkin needs to be better, I’m
sure he knows that.

Sad thing is, as I’ve noticed with many hockey players, and especially with Malkin, the gap between knowing and doing can be quite big.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Point is: with team getting healthier they were supposed to play better, not worse. The trend is disturbing and Crosby and Malkin aren’t doing enough to change it, no matter how you want to sugarcoat it.
I wish they'd just retire

I'd love to hear you then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad