Post-Game Talk: Sharks 5, Pens 0 - After the Meat Sweats Subside, It's the Hangover I Must Contend With

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The game Sid game back (the game after Jake went down) is when this team stopped playing like a team. I even remember @pixiesfanyo saying, "They look like the Pittsburgh Crosby's".

There were six games between Jake's injury and Sid's return and we were doing quite well in these games, structure-wise.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The issue is they built the system around Sid and Geno instead of four (well three technically) rolling lines.

The deadline moves were suppose to help with that, but we just continue to pile up injuries.

I'm getting 2018 feelings here.

Same situation going into the 2018 TDL. Pick up Brassard. Things went awry.
Team was playing decent hockey up to that point too. Same damn thing this year.

What theee heck?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There were six games between Jake's injury and Sid's return and we were doing quite well in these games, structure-wise.

Analytically we've had a big dip the past 20 games or so iirc and that probably can be traced back to Dumoulin going down.

Also OT but we play Carolina 4 times this month which is bizarre.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Jeez... memory. Yeah it was around two weeks time wise Sid came back.

Yeah though... they did chug a lug through Jakes injury.
Sid's return was, give or take, the time the team stopped playing as a solid unit.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

What theee heck?

Nah, that's just confirmation bias.

Realistically, this team was always an outside chance at winning the division, let alone conference or Cup, given how decimated we've been. We were always due for a slump, people just let themselves get overconfident.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The structure really broke down when Marino left because they became a team that needed herulean 5 man efforts to break a puck out.
The other thing is the opposing systems.
Sully wants to go north fast(F's shooting the zone) and teams smartly trapped it up with this very bad at puck moving D.
With how Sully/Martin set up the back end with no Dumo+Marino, it's been pretty much impossible to deploy that style effectively.
Really throws everything out of wack when F's need to help this D move the puck a couple feet up the ice.
When you are that disoriented 5on5, it's gonna throw everything else out of wack too. PP, PK. Everything.

Dumo/Marino are so key in helping this team play the only effective style they can with what JR has assembled here.
This team doesn't want to babysit crappy D-men and it's starting to really wear on them with the way Sid/G look on the bench atm.

Reactions: USMC607 and Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Analytically we've had a big dip the past 20 games or so iirc and that probably can be traced back to Dumoulin going down.

Maybe but we were making it up with working hard defensively almost every shift. It wasn't pretty but it worked. Now the forwards play like they can outscore the opponent and defense is optional... only they can't even score two goals a game. Honestly, they would probably start trying harder if one of Sid and Geno gets injured, when they play it seems like too often their teammates relax and take it for granted that the team will score a lot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

What theee heck?

Our roster was healthier in 2018.

In reality this team could afford one of Dumo / Marino going down. Now we have both lost. Very few teams could afford that. Tampa is nose diving with McD hurt.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Nah, that's just confirmation bias.

Realistically, this team was always an outside chance at winning the division, let alone conference or Cup, given how decimated we've been. We were always due for a slump, people just let themselves get overconfident.

Where is my bias though?

Isn't it history repeating itself?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Our roster was healthier in 2018.

In reality this team could afford one of Dumo / Marino going down. Now we have both lost. Very few teams could afford that. Tampa is nose diving with McD hurt.

But just as flawed fundamentally.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They have exactly 1 player that goes anywhere near the net, and that's Hornqvist. They have nobody except maybe Sid (when he's engaged) that can win a board battle. So that means their only hope of scoring is the fancy bullshit that works once in a great while in the regular season, and never in the playoffs.

Their defense is also Charmin soft. They make bad decisions because they don't want to be hit (which makes sense since they're always hurt), and let guys do their taxes in front of Murray/Jarry.

I agree (and I rarely do with you) that more guys need to go to the net and fight for position...but they don’t need to be Tom Wilson to do that...Jake does that and he’s a small body...also the team needs D who can move the puck and also be physical...that’s not mutually exclusive but I do agree the Pens FO or coaches seem to see it that way...ideally we’d have some some D who are good at both and I’d put Marino in that category and Dumo as well..they’re not all soft but we could use more guys willing to take the body

Reactions: vodeni

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Where is my bias though?

Isn't it history repeating itself?

Your bias is you see a big trade and you want it to fit the same pattern. As Pixies points out, this team and 2018 were vastly different on lots of levels, not the least of which was the overall health of the roster.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Weird. Nobody was saying that a month ago.
Couldn't move the puck in 2018 - and again now, can't move the puck

Your bias is you see a big trade and you want it to fit the same pattern. As Pixies points out, this team and 2018 were vastly different on lots of levels, not the least of which was the overall health of the roster.

I suppose. I suppose.

I still get 2018 feelings watching this team now.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's fine, but they're very different teams, at least in my eyes.

Honestly, I expected us to slump a bit post deadline, but if we get back the blueline I'd expect us to look much better in a hurry. If not, oh well. We were longshots ever since Jake went down. I'm losing absolutely no sleep over this at all.

Hell, the bright side of this could even be that it'll keep Murray and Jarry's next contracts down a bit, given the shelling they've taken. :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So you are judging the team on a six game sample. Sick dog. Yinz gonna Yinz.

I'm just saying that is the situation they are in, now.

So you are saying they don't have a puck possession / passing - receiving / forcing passes (into turnovers) problem now?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Of course they do. They are missing two of their top three D?

You called me a yinzer and then you agree'd with me?

.... I gotta get out of here...

Anyways... let's hope at least one of marino / dum. Even if it doesn't entirely fix things it should plug a major hole in JJ being on the top pair. I hope. Who knows anymore.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean, I hate to toot my own horn, but I wanted no part of Sheary. But noooooo, some used car salesman looking dude behind the bench apparently wanted him. :laugh:

6unI4Yy.gif

Reactions: Trade and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->