Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part III ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
With the Jets signing Buff I'm wondering if Jacob Trouba might be made available. There was talk that they could have trouble signing him and Buff which is made more complicated by the status of Ladd. Trouba could be a really great long term add. Though I think in all likelihood they trade Ladd and resign Trouba.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With the Jets signing Buff I'm wondering if Jacob Trouba might be made available. There was talk that they could have trouble signing him and Buff which is made more complicated by the status of Ladd. Trouba could be a really great long term add. Though I think in all likelihood they trade Ladd and resign Trouba.

With the Jets, I would think it makes Enstrom more available than Trouba. Trouba will inevitably come in at a much cheaper rate than Enstrom and since money is going to be an issue with Winnipeg, I'd expect them to make Enstrom available in the off-season before Trouba.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd probably sign Burns to a $7.6m contract considering the state of the cap nowadays but also considering how he took a discount before, he might take a discount this time.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

There is no one I would make untouchable if we could get Trouba, minus Hertl. I wonder if they'd add for Vlasic, considering Vlasic will be very cheap compared to Trouba and they both need cap space and good LHD.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There is no one I would make untouchable if we could get Trouba, minus Hertl. I wonder if they'd add for Vlasic, considering Vlasic will be very cheap compared to Trouba and they both need cap space and good LHD.

I'd pretty much agree except I would add Goldobin as untouchable for Trouba. I've yet to see anything about that kid's game that doesn't scream top-end when he has developed. You can definitely say I've hitched my wagon to Goldobin. lol

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

You've been awful willing to trade Vlasic lately, I still see him as close to untouchable.

I'd trade any of our prospects for Trouba and any player not in the long term core. He's exactly the type of player we need long term and short term, it would be the kind of move that brings in immediate help in an area of need but also fills a hole for years to come.

I'd pretty much agree except I would add Goldobin as untouchable for Trouba. I've yet to see anything about that kid's game that doesn't scream top-end when he has developed. You can definitely say I've hitched my wagon to Goldobin. lol

I hear ya on Goldy, if he can improve his defensive game to an NHL level he'll be a great player. But I'd be willing to give him up for Trouba as I value defense more than a top end forward. Not saying it wouldn't be hard though.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

If true I hope DW does his due diligence and at least makes a call about Trouba. They might have some interest in Mueller and one of our top forward prospects.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So right now I feel that our ideal lineup is

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Donskoi-xxx-Nieto
Karlsson-Tierney-Zubrus

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-xxx

Jones
xxx

For the third pairing xxx, I would suggest Tom Gilbert from Montreal. His contract is up this year, so his cap hit is very small for the rest of this year. Also he could probably be had for a 4th or 5th.

For the third line center, I'm thinking Cody Eakin. Not entirely sure what it would take to get him. Probably something like 2nd+Wingels.

For the backup goalie I would want Hutchinson. Not sure what WIN would be looking for but we could probably get him for a prospect+4th.

This would make our lineup:

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Donskoi-Eakin-Nieto
Karlsson-Tierney-Zubrus

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Gilbert

Jones
Hutchinson

I feel like with this team we could get past at least the first round of the playoffs.

Another addition we could do is Jiri Hudler. There was a rumor that said he was available for 2nd but I don't remember who said it. So let's just say that it would be 2nd+prospect. Then that changes forward lines to:

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Hudler
Donskoi-Eakin-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Nieto
Zubrus

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

This seems to be the consensus on the Jets board as well. If so I hope DW does his due diligence and at least makes a call about Trouba. They might have some interest in Mueller and one of our top forward prospects.

I think the Jets move Trouba if his outlandish contract demand report from before is accurate. Even with him being behind Myers and Byfuglien on the right side, he's third among d-men in ice time ahead of Enstrom. It's going to be very difficult to give up on him when he's playing that much already at 21.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Burns won't get that deal because he'll be 32 when his contract is set to expire and Byfuglien is 30. I have a hard time believing anyone will give Burns a 5 year deal of that magnitude but I can see a 3 or 4 year deal at that level. If he re-signs in San Jose, it'll probably be 3 or 4 years at 7 mil with a full NTC/NMC.

Byfuglien turns 31 well before the contract he just signed kicks in. Burns being one year older doesn't change much. With Burns' numbers I have to think this Buff deal will be the absolute floor of negotiations on an extension. There's zero reason for him to take a 3-year deal from anybody.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Wow, that's high on Goldobin. I'm a huge fan of him as well, but if you can get Trouba, you have to trade him. Trouba is exactly what we need, a big two-way young top pairing defenseman.

You've been awful willing to trade Vlasic lately, I still see him as close to untouchable.

If by "awfully willing" you mean "willing to trade him for a young top-pairing RHD like Barrie or Trouba, then yeah. The only circumstance I'd trade him is for a younger defenseman who is both proven and has upside (Trouba, Barrie), for a package of players/prospects/picks that I think are all undervalued assets and therefore I feel we fleece the other team, or for a flatout better player who is neither older nor too much more expensive than Vlasic. I think that's a stance one should take on almost any player.

If true I hope DW does his due diligence and at least makes a call about Trouba. They might have some interest in Mueller and one of our top forward prospects.

I hold out more hope of DW going after Trouba than I do Drouin since Trouba is very much a DW type of player. Big American two-way defenseman who can throw the body? Sign him up. I doubt we have the available assets to get him though.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Wow, that's high on Goldobin. I'm a huge fan of him as well, but if you can get Trouba, you have to trade him. Trouba is exactly what we need, a big two-way young top pairing defenseman.

If by "awfully willing" you mean "willing to trade him for a young top-pairing RHD like Barrie or Trouba, then yeah. The only circumstance I'd trade him is for a younger defenseman who is both proven and has upside (Trouba, Barrie), for a package of players/prospects/picks that I think are all undervalued assets and therefore I feel we fleece the other team, or for a flatout better player who is neither older nor too much more expensive than Vlasic. I think that's a stance one should take on almost any player.

I hold out more hope of DW going after Trouba than I do Drouin since Trouba is very much a DW type of player. Big American two-way defenseman who can throw the body? Sign him up. I doubt we have the available assets to get him though.

I would be all over Trouba. Would solidify our defense as one of the best. I'd give up whatever was required honestly, even if it's Meier+.

I started a new be a gm mode in NHL16 the other day and was able to trade Mueller, our 2017 1st, and Torres for Draisaitl, then I traded Bergman (which Colorado wanted badly for some reason) a 2nd and Tennysson for Barrie.

My lineup is awesome lol. I wish real life worked like that haha.

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
Yea if that's the going rate or comparable for Burns, I'd rather just trade him. Wish Burns was still at forward and then the focus could be solely on adding to the D core.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would be all over Trouba. Would solidify our defense as one of the best. I'd give up whatever was required honestly, even if it's Meier+.

I started a new be a gm mode in NHL16 the other day and was able to trade Mueller, our 2017 1st, and Torres for Draisaitl, then I traded Bergman (which Colorado wanted badly for some reason) a 2nd and Tennysson for Barrie.

My lineup is awesome lol. I wish real life worked like that haha.

Bergman and Mueller usually end up around at an 84 overall for me. Tierney ends up at around 89. I think I managed to trade for Couture+1st for McDavid.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Byfuglien turns 31 well before the contract he just signed kicks in. Burns being one year older doesn't change much. With Burns' numbers I have to think this Buff deal will be the absolute floor of negotiations on an extension. There's zero reason for him to take a 3-year deal from anybody.

Which means he'll be 36 when his contract ends. Being one year changes the term that you're likely going to get at that age. Teams are less willing to sign long-term deals that put players in their late 30's based on what they're paid at the time of the tail end of their prime. There's plenty of reason for Burns to take a 3 year deal from people. It all depends on the dollar figure given and the movement clause flexibility. DW has time and again gotten players to take less to stay here. When Thornton and Marleau were signing their deals, the going rate was significantly higher than what they were taking...multiple times.

I don't think Trouba is really available in the first place. I think people are putting too much emphasis on sides and not taking into account that he's 3rd on the blue line in ice time and he's playing on the left side with Byfuglien frequently. The only way Trouba gets dealt is if that 8 year, 56 mil deal he reportedly wanted is actually true and he hasn't moved off of that. The Jets are not going to trade him due to some inaccurate speculation that he's playing behind Byfuglien and Myers on the right side when he isn't. If he comes off that deal and takes a bridge or even takes a more reasonable long term deal, he'll be significantly cheaper than say Enstrom who he is playing ahead of. And there's your trade bait.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Rumors have the Sharks going after a defenseman. Most of us seem to agree that Trouba would be a great fit but would probably cost and arm and a leg, which some are more willing to part with than others. My question for the board is who would you rather DW go after, a young long term fit or a veteran who could fill in but only in the short term. A veteran would come cheaper, depending on the player, but still cost us picks or prospects and wouldn't necessarily improve our roster significantly, unless we somehow manage a player like Yandle or Enstrom, but could add depth for a playoff run. While a younger player with more potential could improve our team more now but also play a role going forward but would be much more expensive, maybe even at the cost of a roster player. Ideally I would like the team to avoid the pitfalls of a player like Polak who isn't a significant upgrade, but instead try to find the best long term fit without breaking up our core. That all being said, it's a sliding scale that depends on the fit of the player, there are some great vets that would be awesome on this team and there are some young skilled d that wouldn't fit well at all.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Rumors have the Sharks going after a defenseman. Most of us seem to agree that Trouba would be a great fit but would probably cost and arm and a leg, which some are more willing to part with than others. My question for the board is who would you rather DW go after, a young long term fit or a veteran who could fill in but only in the short term. A veteran would come cheaper, depending on the player, but still cost us picks or prospects and wouldn't necessarily improve our roster significantly, unless we somehow manage a player like Yandle or Enstrom, but could add depth for a playoff run. While a younger player with more potential could improve our team more now but also play a role going forward but would be much more expensive, maybe even at the cost of a roster player. Ideally I would like the team to avoid the pitfalls of a player like Polak who isn't a significant upgrade, but instead try to find the best long term fit without breaking up our core.

With five guys on the blue line that have term, I'd only get a guy with term if it's a young long-term answer. But then in the off-season, I'd turn around and trade someone like Martin if there's a deal that makes sense and open up a spot for the young guys we have in the system. There's enough of them that are close enough to justify keeping that spot open like they did this year for DeMelo...probably moreso than this year actually.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Rumors have the Sharks going after a defenseman. Most of us seem to agree that Trouba would be a great fit but would probably cost and arm and a leg, which some are more willing to part with than others. My question for the board is who would you rather DW go after, a young long term fit or a veteran who could fill in but only in the short term. A veteran would come cheaper, depending on the player, but still cost us picks or prospects and wouldn't necessarily improve our roster significantly, unless we somehow manage a player like Yandle or Enstrom, but could add depth for a playoff run. While a younger player with more potential could improve our team more now but also play a role going forward but would be much more expensive, maybe even at the cost of a roster player. Ideally I would like the team to avoid the pitfalls of a player like Polak who isn't a significant upgrade, but instead try to find the best long term fit without breaking up our core. That all being said, it's a sliding scale that depends on the fit of the player, there are some great vets that would be awesome on this team and there are some young skilled d that wouldn't fit well at all.

I think there are deals to be had out there for some lesser heralded NHL regulars. Not vets, but not super young either.

Nick Holden
Andrej sustr
Eric gryba
Brandon Davidson
Matt bartkowski

I'm sure there are more. But that's who I'd target starting with Davidson and ending with Holden.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think there are deals to be had out there for some lesser heralded NHL regulars. Not vets, but not super young either.

Nick Holden
Andrej sustr
Eric gryba
Brandon Davidson
Matt bartkowski

I'm sure there are more. But that's who I'd target starting with Davidson and ending with Holden.

Not a single one of these players is worth trading anything for.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Agreed. In particular, I watched a lot of Bartkowski when he was with Boston and he's not a player I'd like on the Sharks, slow pylon of a left handed d.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I would give up Braun + Mueller for Trouba without even thinking about it.

Agree with the above sentiments, though. They will unload Enstrom & Ladd before giving up on Trouba.

Vlasic - Trouba top pairing for the better part of the next decade would be ****ing amazing...

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'd obviously love to get Trouba as well. I don't think it stands any chance of happening, though. I think it's much more likely that Winnipeg gets rid of Enstrom & Ladd before they even think of trading Trouba, and making those 2 moves would almost certainly free up enough money to sign him. So, I think pining for a trade there is even more pie-in-the-sky than pining for a trade for Drouin. (and I think there's almost 0 chance DW trades for a young player like Drouin who seems to potentially have attitude issues. Just not a DW-type of player in the least.)

I think my 2 ideal trades for us, if we can get them without it costing us an arm + leg + first born are:
Kadri - Fixes our current center slotting issue, and just about completely balances out all 4 lines, with scoring and defensive capability across all of them.
Shattenkirk - Lets us keep DeMelo as 7th defenseman, and gives us one of the better D units out there. Vlasic/Shattenkirk + Martin/Burns + Dillon/Braun would be outstanding.

Both of them are still young, and would fit in quite well with our youth core, so it's not like we'd be overpaying for vets on the decline like we've done multiple times in the past.

Now, whether we could get both of them without removing multiple current roster players or gutting our prospect pool is the $64,000 question. Still, I think the dream of getting one or both of those two is more likely than us getting Trouba.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

You haven't watched Davidson then. And I'm trading for someone who'd likely be bottom pairing for us and still provide a good two way game.

Bartkowski is playing a lot of minutes for a bad Vancouver team. He's a good skater and I like what I see with him.

Davidson is putting up good underlying numbers on a bad oilers team. Same with gryba actually.

All of them are not old 24-28 and cheap. Bartkowski is only making 1.75 mill I think.

I personally think Davidson is better than demelo but I haven't watched enough of the other guys.

I'd move mueller for any of them. I wouldn't move our 2nd or any other prospect except maybe goodrow. If I can't find a cheap deal for them I wouldn't do it.

My point is there are options that aren't vets or rookies than can help right now. At least have a reason for not trading for them instead of roster bating about trouba who we will never get :laugh:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
You haven't watched Davidson then. And I'm trading for someone who'd likely be bottom pairing for us and still provide a good two way game.

Bartkowski is playing a lot of minutes for a bad Vancouver team. He's a good skater and I like what I see with him.

Davidson is putting up good underlying numbers on a bad oilers team. Same with gryba actually.

All of them are not old 24-28 and cheap. Bartkowski is only making 1.75 mill I think.

I personally think Davidson is better than demelo but I haven't watched enough of the other guys.

I'd move mueller for any of them. I wouldn't move our 2nd or any other prospect except maybe goodrow. If I can't find a cheap deal for them I wouldn't do it.

My point is there are options that aren't vets or rookies than can help right now. At least have a reason for not trading for them instead of roster bating about trouba who we will never get :laugh:

I know Mueller has been underwhelming but you're willing to give him up for bottom pairing d-men? I wouldn't say giving up a recent 1st rounder for some bottom pairing guys is cheap. It's too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad