Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part III ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Not sure anybody would give anything that would help us in the short term for Marleau.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not sure anybody would give anything that would help us in the short term for Marleau.

The only thing that marleau would fetch that could be helpful is maybe a 2nd round draft pick and a low level prospect that might help out on the 3rd/4th line this year.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Marleau hasn't been great this season but he also hasn't been as bad as everybody says and if the team is trying to win now there is absolutely no way that trading him will help us do that

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
How would people feel about buying low on Jiri Hudler who's apparently on the trading block according to Elliotte Friedman? He's not having a great year but he is one season removed from scoring 30 goals and nearly 80 points and he's unlikely to cost much more than a 2nd/3rd round pick and maybe a B-level prospect. I think he'd be a good fit with Couture and Marleau (who really needs to be moved back to wing) the way Havlat was on the brief occasions when he was healthy.

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Hudler
Donskoi - Tierney - Ward
Nieto - Zubrus - Wingels

Hudler might be a decent pickup, but I don't understand why everyone keeps moving Couture up to the 2nd line and putting Tierney as the 3C in their lineups. The Donskoi-Couture 3rd line has been fantastic. With Hudler, I'd do Donskoi/Couture/Nieto and Hudler/Marleau/Ward. Karlsson or Zubrus/Tierney/Wingels would be the 4th line.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
The only thing that marleau would fetch that could be helpful is maybe a 2nd round draft pick and a low level prospect that might help out on the 3rd/4th line this year.

Even if Wilson was selling at the deadline he would get more for Marleau than that. He's unlikely to sell, though. Marleau starts at a first round pick if he's being moved for futures.

Marleau hasn't been great this season but he also hasn't been as bad as everybody says and if the team is trying to win now there is absolutely no way that trading him will help us do that

Only way it would make sense at the deadline is with a swapping of top 6 forwards. It's rare to see teams make that kind of a deal late in the season. Teams are either buying or selling, and Marleau also has the NMC to complicate things.

If the desire for a trade is truly coming out of Marleau's camp then the offseason seems more realistic. Then Wilson can accept futures or a defenseman, and adjust the roster with other transactions.

And if we are going to win now it requires him to step up a bit.

True, but Wilson would also need to step up a bit.

Hudler might be a decent pickup, but I don't understand why everyone keeps moving Couture up to the 2nd line and putting Tierney as the 3C in their lineups. The Donskoi-Couture 3rd line has been fantastic. With Hudler, I'd do Donskoi/Couture/Nieto and Hudler/Marleau/Ward. Karlsson or Zubrus/Tierney/Wingels would be the 4th line.

Hudler could be a great fit to play with Donskoi. He has a great shot and we are short on players who are a threat on the outside. The Donskoi-Couture line has looked like our 2nd. If the play didn't blow up on Wingels stick half the time they would be killing it. Donskoi is becoming a force! Skill was evident from camp, but he has really put it together over the last month. Genuinely looks like one of our top forwards.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I cant see the Sharks moving out a top 9 player in the midst of a playoff run. With 3mil in CAP room the only thing that makes sense is bringing in someone for the stretch run. I'd like to see us add 1D & 1F.

Gilbert and Gagner .

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd actually like to see some call ups first to see if they can do...anything before we look into making trades but we're in a bit of a precarious situation to experiment like that but Goodrow, Goldobin, Carpenter, Ryan, Mueller, and Bergman are depth candidates.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

Marleau has been a disaster at center and really needs to be moved back to LW. Also Donskoi has been fantastic independently -- it's happened while he's been on a line with Couture but I don't really see how Couture has had much effect on Donskoi's play. If anything, some of the best work I've seen from Donskoi has come on those brief shifts when he's played with Nieto and Tierney.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'd actually like to see some call ups first to see if they can do...anything before we look into making trades but we're in a bit of a precarious situation to experiment like that but Goodrow, Goldobin, Carpenter, Ryan, Mueller, and Bergman are depth candidates.

The problem is the place we need the most help is defense and goaltending, and we just don't have the players to call up in those areas. Grosenick has been awful, Dell really isn't NHL material, and Mueller is a trainwreck thus far. Bergman is a loooong shot to say the least. Honestly Ryan is the best bet, and he's a losing bet, at least right now.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Marleau has been a disaster at center and really needs to be moved back to LW. Also Donskoi has been fantastic independently -- it's happened while he's been on a line with Couture but I don't really see how Couture has had much effect on Donskoi's play. If anything, some of the best work I've seen from Donskoi has come on those brief shifts when he's played with Nieto and Tierney.

I agree with this. That one game those three were together for a like two periods was absolutely awe-inspiring and I think that they were still very noticeable for the brief moments they got put together after that.

The problem is the place we need the most help is defense and goaltending, and we just don't have the players to call up in those areas. Grosenick has been awful, Dell really isn't NHL material, and Mueller is a trainwreck thus far. Bergman is a loooong shot to say the least. Honestly Ryan is the best bet, and he's a losing bet, at least right now.

I won't argue against any of that but might be prudent to see what we have first before selling on the few assets we have left.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

I guess you could do that and hope that Donskoi and Ward compensate for Tierney's struggles as the 3C. Marleau on the 3rd line just spreads out the talent imo, which is great to have in the playoffs.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Hudler is having a bad year, but im sure a change of scenery will do him well. That being said, there is a ton of interest, but the asking price is high. I wouldn't trade Wingels or Nieto in a deal for him, or any of our prospects/younger players. Calgary will demand at least a first.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I can guarantee you that if the Sharks trade Marleau this season, especially to a Western Conference team, that team is beating San José in the playoffs and eventually winning the Cup. Marleau will win the Conn Smythe and everyone will say it was because he was finally freed from the shackles of the Joe TinMan Thornton.

It would be the most Sharks thing ever.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/02/07...oaches?token=c2449a4dbf4c347e971883866b377ed5

As dubious as Garrioch is, he says we're in the market for a defenseman.

Not clicking the link since I don't want to give him another page hit, but that's not anything particularly revelatory. The Sharks have zero defensive depth and are hopefully headed to the playoffs. Of course they're in the market for a defenseman.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You can take Byfuglien off the list. New deal for five years and 38 million total. 7.6 mil cap hit. Something to look forward to with Brent Burns...roughly.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I would absolutely not give Burns that contract. He'll get it, if not more. Hopefully from some other team.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Lol that's terrible for the Jets IMO but I have never been very high on Byfuglien and I think he could decline very quickly at a young age.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I actually think it's a pretty decent contract solely due to the term. 5 years is a great length for Buff. I'd happily give up an extra mil on the AVV to keep the term reasonable.

But yeah, that's why I think we should trade Burns in the off-season.

It's been a long time since I posted one of my fun blow-it-up rebuild ideas, so here's one inspired by some posts I've seen in recent months over at the Trade forum.

1. Logan Couture to Columbus for 4th overall-> Jakob Chychrun. This proposal was made by a CBJ fan under the premise that despite being last in the league the Jackets lose the lottery three times, since the league hates them, and the first three guys taken are Matthews and the Finns. I've watched Chychrun a few times with Sarnia recently and come away very impressed. He really reminds me of a Doughty type who makes an impact all over the ice and eats big minutes in all situations. The play very much revolves around him. We need a high-end defensive prospect since we missed out on Provorov. Chychrun could be a real #1D like we've never had before, and has a very high floor, so he's not really a "risk" per se. I consider him to be a Hanifin caliber prospect. Columbus does this because they badly need a #1C after trading Johansen and there is only one guy sure to be a #1C in this whole draft, and that's Matthews. Besides, Logan is in his prime and he would fit in great with the CBJ core of Jones, Jenner, Dubinsky, Saad, Murray, and Werenski. Torts would also love Logan.

2. Marc-Edouard Vlasic to Colorado for Tyson Barrie+. If we had Chychrun, I would be comfortable making this trade. Barrie is a 24 year old top pairing two-way defenseman who can run a PP. I think he's the closest thing to a prime Dan Boyle there is in the NHL right now. I'd want a smallish plus since we're giving up the better player who will undoubtedly be on the better contract, even if Barrie is younger.

3. Brent Burns to Edmonton for Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Burns is exactly, EXACTLY the defenseman they're looking for. A guy playing the best hockey of his career, RHD, big and physical, and an elite offensive player, who would be playing under a coach he knows and a system he knows. This one goes over differently from EDM fan to EDM fan, due to Burns' contract status, but I'd have a hard time seeing Burns not re-sign there assuming they gave him a fair offer. Can you imagine him out there with McDavid? Yikes.

So basically, this proposal is a little merry-go-round where we get younger at every position (#1C, #1LD, #1RD). We basically make a semi-lateral move from Couture to RNH, getting four years younger and only a little worse, Vlasic to Chychrun, who will take a few years but likely get to where Vlasic is now and is on a cheap ELC and is ELEVEN years younger, and Burns to Barrie, who is a downgrade but sice years younger and cheaper over the long-term. This puts our young group at RNH, Chychrun, Barrie, Hertl, Meier, Donskoi, Roy, Goldobin, Tierney, and Jones, which looks great to me. Chychrun and Barrie would be a great top-pairing assuming Chychrun ends up somewhere in the neighborhood of how good I think he could be, RNH and Hertl is a good 1-2 C punch, Tierney can handle #3C duties in two years at the very latest, and that puts less pressure on guys like Roy and maybe even Mueller, Bergman, Ryan, etc. to become top-pairing defenseman.

XXX-RNH-Meier
XXX-Hertl-Donskoi
Goldobin-Tierney-XXX
Wingels-XXX-Nieto

Chychrun-Barrie
XXX-J. Roy
XXX-Demelo

Jones
XXX

As a skeleton for the foreseeable future. Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Ward would still be around for a couple more years as transition players up front (minus Pavelski who will be here for a long time), and Braun, Martin, and Dillon would be there to do the same on the back-end.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would absolutely not give Burns that contract. He'll get it, if not more. Hopefully from some other team.

Burns won't get that deal because he'll be 32 when his contract is set to expire and Byfuglien is 30. I have a hard time believing anyone will give Burns a 5 year deal of that magnitude but I can see a 3 or 4 year deal at that level. If he re-signs in San Jose, it'll probably be 3 or 4 years at 7 mil with a full NTC/NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad