Sharks’ Evander Kane files for bankruptcy with $26.8 million of debt (upd: may void contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
The people who relish in the dude's misery are weird. Stop for a second, relax, think about the fact that what the dude does has absolutely zero impact in your life.

Well, to be fair, I was asked if I wanted to lend him money, through a broker, last year.

So, based on this news, I'm loving the fact that I didn't lend anything and having a good chuckle.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Dude acts like is on one of those NBA Max contracts.

Honest to God. The way he lives makes it seem like thats the case, even though theres at least 5 or 6 NBA guys who make per year what he'll make over the life of the contract.

They say James Harden just wants to chase rappers around.... well Kane just wants to chase NBA stars around it seems :rolleyes:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Unfortunate for him, and while I do have some sympathy I'm also curious to see if/when any good heckling comes out of this.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Good grief. The NHL clubs should really offer players the chance to have a % of their income handled by the clubs accountants and put away into stock options or another type of high interest saving option for the duration of their contract so they don't run the risk of leaving their careers riddled in crushing debt. Some people just can't help themselves. Millionaires with poor impulse control are just temporary millionaires.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Going forward what does this do for his hockey ability?

I can see so many outcomes..
Does he take a year or 2 off?
Does it distract him?
Does he play harder?
Does he have enough to focus on hockey?
Is it a distraction for the sharks?
What happens if he gets bought out?

Honestly so many questions

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I get it when guys retire then immediately go bankrupt. It can be really hard to make that adjustment. But Kane is in the middle of the most lucrative contract of his career. He should be a long way off of issues like this.

On the plus side, maybe it isn’t too late for him. He’s still got some earning years ahead. If he can learn from this, he can still have an extremely comfortable retirement.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
He has $32 million left on his current deal, he ain't walking away from that as no one will sign him to something like that in a year while we are dealing with a flat cap.

The whole sit the year out is a threat to creditors in order to get them to agree to some form of settlement that is more favorable to him then the current terms of his obligations.

Also a judge is likely not to let Kane off the hook given his earnings over the next 5 years. He will likely have to liquidate most of his assets and he will have a certain percentage of his wages garnished for the rest of his contract. Same thing happened to Johnson.

32 million before taxes, league withholdings and fees on a debt of 28 million. Once you consider California’s insane tax rate on athletes (federal + state is 52%) plus the 20% withholding due to COVID plus the 5% agent fees, he is very clearly underwater by a large margin. Even if he plays out this contract, liquidates all existing assets, he will still owe more than 5 million to his creditors.

Dude is broke.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
My friend owns a pizza place in South Van near where Kane grew up, and I have some friends that went to JO and Killarney, so I’m in that neighbourhood quite a bit. It’s not a ghetto but I’d say it‘s on the lower end of the middle class scale. I know a disproportionate amount of people who got involved in gangs, drugs, etc. who came from that neighbourhood.
I mean Vancouver is rife with gangs. The more notious ones ignoring HA and Chinese international gangs all seem to come from well off or at least solidly middle class. The Bacon Brothers and many of the Indo Canadian gangs as well.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Regardless of what you think of Kane. Bankruptcy and addiction is awful. Don’t even wish that on my worst enemy

I had a friend with a gambling addiction. It's incredibly destructive. Ruined his whole life. Lost his job, his house and his family. I've never understood it myself since gambling is not appealing to me but I do drink way too much so I try to think of it in terms of my addiction. I genuinely feel really bad for Kane.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Good grief. The NHL clubs should really offer players the chance to have a % of their income handled by the clubs accountants and put away into stock options or another type of high interest saving option for the duration of their contract so they don't run the risk of leaving their careers riddled in crushing debt. Some people just can't help themselves. Millionaires with poor impulse control are just temporary millionaires.

Of course teams offer these things. Kane could have even made an appointment at a bank for retirement/investment advice. I advise all of you people to do the same. It's pretty tried and true.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't even fathom spending $26.8 million in my lifetime, let alone being $26.8 million in debt while earning like $50 million over my career.

Just insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad