Sharks’ Evander Kane files for bankruptcy with $26.8 million of debt (upd: may void contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Lol, Americans...

''Sue McDonalds for not warning that newly brewed coffee might be hot''

You usually demand some kind of individual accountability when you're over the age of 18.

That's a common misconception about that entire case. The coffee wasn't just hot like a normal cup of coffee should be...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/12/16/13971482/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit-stella-liebeck

"Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and genitals, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat."

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
But he won't have to cover all of his debts. That’s the point of the Bankruptcy. It’s gonna cost him less.

His secured creditors will get a fraction of the money owed and his unsecured creditors will get nothing.

Kane filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy, better known as a liquidation bankruptcy. Kane will be required to list all of his assets and label them as either exempt or non-exempt. Exempt assets will be ignored in the bankruptcy, but the non-exempt assets will be gathered by the trustee and distributed to creditors. Exempt assets include equity in a primary residence (up to a point), a certain amount of cash on hand (checking/saving account), 401k account, etc.

If Kane's financial advisors did a decent job in preparing for this bankruptcy he will have minimal non-exempt assets, and he may have none at all. The average chapter 7 does not have any non-exempt assets (of course, the average chapter 7 isn't filed by a professional athlete making millions per year).

Secured creditors do have priority in a bankruptcy, but only in so far as their particular piece of collateral is concerned. Let's say Kane owes $5 million on a house that is worth $4 million. If Kane doesn't want to keep the house, and stops making payments, that creditor can file for a relief from the bankruptcy and foreclose on the property. That secured creditor gets to keep all proceeds from the foreclosure (4million) and the difference between what Kane owed (5) and the resale value (4) turns into a $1 million unsecured claim. That 1 million unsecured claim can then receive a pro-rated payout from any non-exempt assets the trustee collected.

If Kane wants to keep the house, and continues making payments, the secured creditor will be essentially ignored in this bankruptcy. If there are non-exempt assets this secured creditor would not be eligible for a payout.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
f*** me , i want to feel bad for the guy but how the hell do you go that far into debt when you make millions a year ?

Buy a luxury house, buy 2nd and 3rd one, buy a sports car, no I don't really dig the color yellow anymore so I'll get a red and black one too, buy a 40 foot sail boat, then I'll eat at restaurants exclusively, then I think I want a tiger as a pet, then...

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
How it started....

kane.jpg

How it's going....

rBZUawj.png

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
That's a common misconception about that entire case. The coffee wasn't just hot like a normal cup of coffee should be...

What a lot of people get wrong about the infamous 1994 McDonald’s hot coffee lawsuit

"Liebeck acknowledged that the spill was her fault. What she took issue with was that the coffee was so ridiculously hot — at up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, near boiling point — that it caused third-degree burns on her legs and genitals, nearly killing her and requiring extensive surgery to treat."

190-ish AmericaMeasurements is around the optimal brewing-temp for coffee tho.
Americans are just stupid.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Well, this is a good first step for Kane. Filing Ch 7 will provide certainty in outstanding obligations. He still has several years on current contract so that should balance out the debt somewhat, depending on what available assets there are. I assume this was failed business interests that was financially tied to him personally (open ended risk). Not doing basic incorporation is rookie mistake and he was probably taken advantage of to get that much in the hole.

People here will make jokes from info they have but its likely he had unscrupulous business partners given the amount.

Not sure if this forum has thought police like other forums but I await any amateurish take.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Just.. how tf would anyone with that kind of salary / financial security want to gamble?
"Yes I have 20 million dollars. This is not enough, I want more, I need more money, more expensive things".

I understand when someone gambles sometimes and looses like 100$, but 26 million?!
WHAT

Reactions: 63 others

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Kane filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy, better known as a liquidation bankruptcy. Kane will be required to list all of his assets and label them as either exempt or non-exempt. Exempt assets will be ignored in the bankruptcy, but the non-exempt assets will be gathered by the trustee and distributed to creditors. Exempt assets include equity in a primary residence (up to a point), a certain amount of cash on hand (checking/saving account), 401k account, etc.

If Kane's financial advisors did a decent job in preparing for this bankruptcy he will have minimal non-exempt assets, and he may have none at all. The average chapter 7 does not have any non-exempt assets (of course, the average chapter 7 isn't filed by a professional athlete making millions per year).

Secured creditors do have priority in a bankruptcy, but only in so far as their particular piece of collateral is concerned. Let's say Kane owes $5 million on a house that is worth $4 million. If Kane doesn't want to keep the house, and stops making payments, that creditor can file for a relief from the bankruptcy and foreclose on the property. That secured creditor gets to keep all proceeds from the foreclosure (4million) and the difference between what Kane owed (5) and the resale value (4) turns into a $1 million unsecured claim. That 1 million unsecured claim can then receive a pro-rated payout from any non-exempt assets the trustee collected.

If Kane wants to keep the house, and continues making payments, the secured creditor will be essentially ignored in this bankruptcy. If there are non-exempt assets this secured creditor would not be eligible for a payout.
Thank you.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Buy a luxury house, buy 2nd and 3rd one, buy a sports car, no I don't really dig the color yellow anymore so I'll get a red and black one too, buy a 40 foot sail boat, then I'll eat at restaurants exclusively, then I think I want a tiger as a pet, then...
I also think he did a lot of traveling on private jets. No doubt he was living a max-NBA contract lifestyle on an NHL contract budget.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ok, so the Sabres were right about this guy. Next, ROR will sink the Blues will his selfish, partying, lifestyle.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
In his interview on Bar Stool Interviews he said he owned.... 3 properties. (interviewEd....While playing in Buffalo)
1) Condo in Vegas 60 Th floor Cosmopolitan
2) Home in Vancouver
3) Home in Los Angeles That he had just bought.

why buy in Buffalo .... right probably just rented
The Bankruptcy statement said he had assets of 10 million in 3 homes.

1 st step would be liquidating these homes and bringing his debt down from 27 mill down to 17 mill.

He has $26 million owed to him on the next 4 years on his contract ( not including this year as his bankruptcy is worked through the courts).

After 20 % ( escrow and fees) over the 4 years that equals 21 million. After taxes in California that’s 10-11 million net.

In court papers earlier in this thread... it says he had the San Jose Sharks stop his automatic bank loan repayments in October 2019..... at the start of the 2019-20 season.

This just shows that he has been planning this bankruptcy for the last 2 years.

He has been probably hiding his assets in his wife’s and dependants names and calculating the best way on defrauding his debtors.

Do not have any sympathy for him.

He has told everyone from day 1 “He is a gangster wannabe “ This is a calculated robbery/heist pulled off by this self named “gangster “! He is legally using the courts and bankruptcy law to have received $ 10 million plus dollars he was not entitled to.

He is running out on his bills and obligations....... just like he did in Winnipeg when he used to dine and dash on Restaurant's and Bars .... it’s just a lot bigger scale.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What kills me is the dependents part. Why is he bankrolling two of his uncles? Mother and grandmother I would understand.... but uncles? two of them? Jesus its not like hes making the kind of money LeBron, Mike Trout or KD are.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I don't know if anyone pointed it out, but I read The Athletic article this morning and it says that he's filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, meaning he's past the re-organization/re-structuring stage and is in the liquidation stage.

Ridiculous to see someone who amassed over $50 million in career earnings so far has already blown it all away, but the snippet about him "terminating his NHL contract and not having future earnings" (terminating his contract due to the recent birth of his first child) makes me think this is a strategic bankruptcy by his lawyer to get out from under his obligations. If the court takes him at his word that he'll realistically terminate his seven-year, $49 million contract and let's him liquidate his existing assets to pay out his debtors from the proceeds, he can just re-sign afterwards and be debt free.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I don't know if anyone pointed it out, but I read The Athletic article this morning and it says that he's filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, meaning he's past the re-organization/re-structuring stage and is in the liquidation stage.

Ridiculous to see someone who amassed over $50 million in career earnings so far has already blown it all away, but the snippet about him "terminating his NHL contract and not having future earnings" (terminating his contract due to the recent birth of his first child) makes me think this is a strategic bankruptcy by his lawyer to get out from under his obligations. If the court takes him at his word that he'll realistically terminate his seven-year, $49 million contract and let's him liquidate his existing assets to pay out his debtors from the proceeds, he can just re-sign afterwards and be debt free.
Sharks would be scumbags to aid in this by agreeing to terminate then re-sign. Ideal situation is he terminates then no one in the league will even consider signing him.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He’s a deadbeat POS. He deserves all the hate he gets.

Yup, I cannot stand him. He might be the most dislike-able (if that's a word) player in the league. Dude is a clown, how the hell do you end up 27M in debt, in the middle of your NHL career..Like how is it possible that every single HFboards poster is in a better spot financially than him.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Sharks would be scumbags to aid in this by agreeing to terminate then re-sign. Ideal situation is he terminates then no one in the league will even consider signing him.

"Rules are for thee, not for me"

Yup, I cannot stand him. He might be the most dislike-able (if that's a word) player in the league. Dude is a clown, how the hell do you end up 27M in debt, in the middle of your NHL career..Like how is it possible that every single HFboards poster is in a better spot financially than him.

Dislikable is a word, just without the hyphen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad