Sharks’ Evander Kane files for bankruptcy with $26.8 million of debt (upd: may void contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
How can he have amassed such debt at such a young age?? This is incredible.
Gambling. Has a huge gambling addiction. And then lived like a superstar spending money like no tomorrow. Not surprising honestly. If you want to read or hear some interesting insight, go watch some or read some stuff from Shaq about he almost bankrupted himself in his first pro contract and the lifestyle he was living. Kane grew up in ultimate suburban Vancouver. He obviously didn't have the same struggles that Shaq did, but still find some correlation. Also Kane is an idiot so that probably helped greatly.

Reactions: DaveG

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
rBZUawj.png

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Some posters here appear to have no appreciation for how many vultures there are out there that prey on young athletes. This story is not unique, sadly. Yes he has come across quite poorly in a lot of respects throughout his career but even if you don’t like him as a person keep in mind that some of those that he has probably been misled by multiple people in his life that he trusted. Those vultures are everywhere.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Some posters here appear to have no appreciation for how many vultures there are out there that prey on young athletes. This story is not unique, sadly. Yes he has come across quite poorly in a lot of respects throughout his career but even if you don’t like him as a person keep in mind that some of those that he has probably been misled by multiple people in his life that he trusted. Those vultures are everywhere.

Didn't see people dumping on Jack Johnson when this happened to him, probably because he didn't spend his entire career proving to people how much of a piece of sh*t he is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Gambling. Has a huge gambling addiction. And then lived like a superstar spending money like no tomorrow. Not surprising honestly. If you want to read or hear some interesting insight, go watch some or read some stuff from Shaq about he almost bankrupted himself in his first pro contract and the lifestyle he was living. Kane grew up in ultimate suburban Vancouver. He obviously didn't have the same struggles that Shaq did, but still find some correlation. Also Kane is an idiot so that probably helped greatly.
I thought he grew up East Side. Not like Hastings drug market East-side, but not in the affluent suburbs like West Van or in the wealthy West-Side of Metro Vancouver.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

Yes it’s terrible when your favorite blackjack dealer leads you astray. How was he supposed to know that asking for a hit at 20 was a bad idea?

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003

I had no idea he has an issue with gambling.....wow....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What do you want me to say? You refuse to live in reality and instead occupy a world in your head where someone being consistently sued for breaking financial commitments is 1) normal 2) not indicative of an underlying problem with money.

Come back to earth and maybe someone will actually talk to instead of clowning on you.

It's incredibly ironic that you want to tell someone they aren't living in reality when you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what suing means. You're not clowning on me. You're acting like a kid and for what exactly?

Reactions: thrillhous

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Didn't see people dumping on Jack Johnson when this happened to him, probably because he didn't spend his entire career proving to people how much of a piece of sh*t he is.
I hear ya. Just saying that even if you don’t like Kane there are despicable people out there that are preying on young athletes.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Shaq is funny he said he was approached by Starbucks when they were small looking for investments and said no because “black people don’t drink coffee”
Oops lol

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I thought he grew up East Side. Not like Hastings drug market East-side, but not in the affluent suburbs like West Van or in the wealthy West-Side of Metro Vancouver.

Evander went to high school in Vancouver at John Oliver Secondary which really is nowhere near East Vancouver. Perhaps they lived in East Van but he commuted like a 30 minute drive away...

Its possible that his parents simply did not want him to attend Templeton High in East Van...

who knows...

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The East Side of Vancouver is pretty well off, aside from Skeena and The downtown Eastside. Current houses in the area he grew up in range from 1.7 to 2.2 Million for a 3 to 4 bedroom house around 2000 sqft.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Evander went to high school in Vancouver at John Oliver Secondary which really is nowhere near East Vancouver. Perhaps they lived in East Van but he commuted like a 30 minute drive away...

Its possible that his parents simply did not want him to attend Templeton High in East Van...

who knows...
Those two schools are like a 10 minute drive from one another.

Reactions: hitman9172

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Shaq is funny he said he was approached by Starbucks when they were small looking for investments and said no because “black people don’t drink coffee”
Oops lol
After his experience with money and debt, he started a class for fresh basketball players to learn how to invest and budget their money. Guy is an awesome dude.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The East Side of Vancouver is pretty well off, aside from Skeena and The downtown Eastside. Current houses in the area he grew up in range from 1.7 to 2.2 Million for a 3 to 4 bedroom house around 2000 sqft.
True, I know Van real estate is nuts like Toronto now. I just remember I had a bunch of friends from Van at university (went to UWO) who went to St. Georges and West Point Grey (my first-year roommate went to Saints), who knew Kane. I got the impression Kane grew up middle-class in comparison to the crowd he started rolling with in Van once he hit NHL money. Not saying he's from the hood or anything. Just didn't think he was from the burbs.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
True, I know Van real estate is nuts like Toronto now. I just remember I had a bunch of friends from Van at university (went to UWO) who went to St. Georges and West Point Grey (my first-year roommate went to Saints), who knew Kane. I got the impression Kane grew up middle-class in comparison to the crowd he started rolling with in Van once he hit NHL money. Not saying he's from the hood or anything. Just didn't think he was from the burbs.
Man, those are some rich friends you went to Uni with.

Reactions: hitman9172

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
East Van is hardly the hood. There really isnt anything I would call the hood in Van. Each part of the GVRD seems to have its own "hood" but nothinf that I would liken to what the term hood broadly means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad