Movies: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - September 3rd, 2021

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Same here. If you don't know anything about the character this is a good origin film that explains everything.
Hoping for a good show as it will likely be the last movie I get to see in theatres before we go into another lockdown here in Ontario

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Loved it! Still felt like a Marvel factory production but nice to see a bit more colour in it. Fantasic cast & action and the movie moves a a nice pace weaving flashback and exposition scenes between the action pieces.

I was worried from what I saw of the bus fight earlier on YouTube that the action would be choppily edited but there are plenty of long shots in the action that look great even if they're clearly helped along by CGI.

I've been a Tony Leung fan since I went on a Hong Kong movie binge as a teenager and thought he put on a great performance and is one of the better Marvel villans. I may be a bit of a fanboy there though. Simu Liu was a great lead as well. Loved seeing Yuen Wah pop in too!

Maybe I'm just on a bit of a high coming out of a movie theatre for the first time in nearly 2 years but I'd put Shang Chi in the 5-8 range of my favourite Marvel movies. I'll have to see how it holds up a 2nd time.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The movie is performing well.

It's extremely difficult to contextualize any box office number these days, as we're nowhere near normal theatre going behavior, but, it's hard to not be impressed by the numbers so far.

It doesn't have the Disney plus premium release to compete with like Black Widow did, but, it's also being released on what's usually the worst box office weekend of the year. I'd also guess that people's covid anxiety is much worse now than earlier in the summer.

We'll need to see how things progress over the weekend and weeks to follow, but domestically, it stands a good chance at being the biggest hit this year so far.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I thought it was great, the use of the mysticism and an expansion of new universes within the multiverse.

The Wong v Abomination dynamic is interesting also as the later seems to be Wong's student. Abomination is supposed to show up more in future MCU fair including She-Hulk. Now will he turn bad again for She-Hulk? Time will tell. It's cool that they made him look more like his comic form also.

Good lines "I speak ABC" American Born Chinese" lol learned this from Chinese friends years ago along with being called a banana or Twinkie...

Nice to see Slattery return.

Who are the rings calling out to? Fin Fang Foom and his race the Makluan?

Is Bruce back to his normal look and still on the mend?

Reactions: uncleben

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So COVID and all, Shang Chi shatters the Labour Day box office record with $71.4M so far and estimates are it will make another $13M monday.

Reactions: member 51464

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Based on how it's held over the weekend, it's looking likely to be the first film this year to get over $200M domestic. With how few big films are on the calendar this month and the positive word of mouth, it's got a shot at $250M.

I'm still not comfortable in crowded theatres until the vaccine passports go into effect around here, so, I've been checking to see when there's a less busy showing near me, but everything has been at near sell out levels each night. I may need to wait a week or two before things settle down.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Based on how it's held over the weekend, it's looking likely to be the first film this year to get over $200M domestic. With how few big films are on the calendar this month and the positive word of mouth, it's got a shot at $250M.

I'm still not comfortable in crowded theatres until the vaccine passports go into effect around here, so, I've been checking to see when there's a less busy showing near me, but everything has been at near sell out levels each night. I may need to wait a week or two before things settle down.
I went to a 12:30 show for that reason, Cineplex also marks off 2 or so seats on each side of the one you pick when you guy your tickets so that there is social distancing. The theater I was in normally holds about 200 when full and we were 85 or so.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I went to a 12:30 show for that reason, Cineplex also marks off 2 or so seats on each side of the one you pick when you guy your tickets so that there is social distancing. The theater I was in normally holds about 200 when full and we were 85 or so.

I do like they're system, but still prefer a theatre with no more than a dozen or so people. It's not been an issue for other movies (I've managed to see Free Guy, Suicide Squad and Black Widow so far). This has been busier than those films though. It bodes well for its success.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So was I the only one bothered that Mr. 10 rings is specifically mentioned at being 1000 years old yet when they were showing highlights of his younger conquering days in one of them they were fighting Roman Legionaires? I mean the Byzantine's were still around but I don't think they still looked the same and I'm pretty sure that's not what they were going for here... :rant:

Joking aside saw it the other day and agree it was great. And loved it when Trevor Slattery showed up again, wasn't expecting that!

What I'm curious about is the first credits scene, does that have something to do with the setup for the next big overarching conflict, and is that an existing Marvel story line or something new? Really I'm just curious if they're going to do something new here, like in the original MCU movies when the infinity stones started showing up you knew where it was going and it wasn't long before Thanos showed up in an end credits scene. This feels like the same sort of setup but I haven't heard any comic nerd chatter as to what it may be.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So was I the only one bothered that Mr. 10 rings is specifically mentioned at being 1000 years old yet when they were showing highlights of his younger conquering days in one of them they were fighting Roman Legionaires? I mean the Byzantine's were still around but I don't think they still looked the same and I'm pretty sure that's not what they were going for here... :rant:

Joking aside saw it the other day and agree it was great. And loved it when Trevor Slattery showed up again, wasn't expecting that!

What I'm curious about is the first credits scene, does that have something to do with the setup for the next big overarching conflict, and is that an existing Marvel story line or something new? Really I'm just curious if they're going to do something new here, like in the original MCU movies when the infinity stones started showing up you knew where it was going and it wasn't long before Thanos showed up in an end credits scene. This feels like the same sort of setup but I haven't heard any comic nerd chatter as to what it may be.

As someone that studied anthropology I can say that the Western Roman Empire fell before 500 AD but the Eastern Empire was around until the mid-15th century.

As for the second part of your post, yes I think we are seeing the first hints of the next villains that will be part of phase 4-5 etc.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's going to be very interesting to see if this gets a China release. Right now it's not looking like it will.

I assume when Disney greenlit this, part of the appeal for them was its prospects in China.

With the CCP increasing censorship, and trying to limit outside influence, less and less Hollywood films could make it to market there.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
It's going to be very interesting to see if this gets a China release. Right now it's not looking like it will.

I assume when Disney greenlit this, part of the appeal for them was its prospects in China.

With the CCP increasing censorship, and trying to limit outside influence, less and less Hollywood films could make it to market there.
Yep. There aren't a lot of sexual innuendo in the film but the cccp is harshly cracking down on media lately. Plus most Chinese don't like Simi Liu. They didn't find him handsome enough :laugh:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Interesting to see Banner back in his human form instead of his Hulk form.
That combined with Wong training and rehabilitating Abomination, I'm wondering if they (the Avengers) are planning to let Banner retire and have Abomination be his replacement on the team. But I'm also betting the She-Hulk D+ series will throw a wrench into it - Abomination joins Val's Thunderbolts, and She-Hulk joins the Avengers, for example

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

That was probably the main reason it was green lighted. China is becoming more and more inaccessible though. Won't stop companies from chasing those $$$ though.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That was probably the main reason it was green lighted. China is becoming more and more inaccessible though. Won't stop companies from chasing those $$$ though.
Well be interesting if the Chinese government continues to prevent movies from being shown, how will it affect all the recent Chinese investment in Hollywood movies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well be interesting if the Chinese government continues to prevent movies from being shown, how will it affect all the recent Chinese investment in Hollywood movies.

I'm not an expert on this but in my observation it appears that China is nurturing a home grown movie industry that seems to do better domestically on average than most Hollywood films. Chinese centric films for a Chinese audience. So, that's one strike against foreign films. The other is if they are shown they are so heavily scrutinized/scrubbed. Again, that won't stop the chase for the $$$ though. At some point though the juice won't be worth the squeeze regardless of how much potential exists.

Reactions: John Price

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Found this movie very enjoyable. Nice to see less of a huge spectacle film and something smaller (though hard to really describe two dragons fighting as small). Choreography was gorgeous. Great casting all around. The movie was definitely a good time. I did find it funny that my (Filipino) wife thought the movie was too Asian.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad