Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
D_9dQuwVAAAw4A9

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Why do I feel like this is Marvel's "watch this, we can take any old thing out of our catalog and make a blockbuster movie that people will flock to" show-off move?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not bad, the fight scenes have a Crouching Tiger feel and looks like there will be some comedy.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
-Another 2 mintue 'teaser' ugh...that's a trailer
-I have faith in Marvel based on their recent track record so it will be enjoyable at worse but I think the acting will leave a lot to be desired and this will be a very basic action film, nothing special and quite formulaic
-The action sequences look really interesting though

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hit the streets and ask randos to grade a guy's looks 1 to 10. Then write, "It's disappointing when anyone is valued numerically. People are not movies to grade."

Technically the article is referring to a video that went viral.

The author didn't actually interview the people.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Technically the article is referring to a video that went viral.

The author didn't actually interview the people.

The irony (hypocracy?) still isn't lost on me, since the write was more than happy to share numeric results while decrying enumeration of people.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I was feeling like its an overt pandering to the Chinese market.

I don't think that's it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it underperforms in China compared to other Marvel films.

It will cater to the domestic Asian American market though, which has generally been underserved and has propelled films like Crazy Rich Asians to success.

I'll probably see it. I expect solid fight choreography and the reliable Marvel level. Daniel Cretton is also an interesting pic as a director. I expect that he'll have a character driven story at the core of this.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
looks really confusing
How so? His father is the leader of a criminal organization, I am thinking they changed it to the Ten Rings for the MCU but it was not that in the comics. He was given time to lead a normal life but now his father is calling him back to take his place in the organization....at least that's how I saw it.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
How so? His father is the leader of a criminal organization, I am thinking they changed it to the Ten Rings for the MCU but it was not that in the comics. He was given time to lead a normal life but now his father is calling him back to take his place in the organization....at least that's how I saw it.

I see this as a prequel to Kim's Convenience where this tells of Jung's early gang life before he straightened up his life and started working at Handy Car Rental, as occasionally referenced in the show.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I see this as a prequel to Kim's Convenience where this tells of Jung's early gang life before he straightened up his life and started working at Handy Car Rental, as occasionally referenced in the show.

lmao - I love the actor but idk if I can buy him as a superhero after seeing him as Jung.

if you remove Kim’s conscience he’s gonna kill this role.

Reactions: donghabs98

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There's no China pandering here. This is just Marvel studios going "what obscure IP from our back catalog can we make a truckload of money off next?"

May as well slam black panther for pandering to blacks too for having the audacity to feature black actors even though it takes place in Africa.

Reactions: Jussi

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
There's no China pandering here. This is just Marvel studios going "what obscure IP from our back catalog can we make a truckload of money off next?"

May as well slam black panther for pandering to blacks too for having the audacity to feature black actors even though it takes place in Africa.

Sadly there were those that were doing just that.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Except not at all the same...

Black Panther was necessary as part of Civil War and Wakanda got teased back in Age of Ultron. Only after being a main character and plot driver of Civil War did we get the stand alone movie.

This is an out of left field choice with no prior tie ins or hinted at in the MCU to date. Big difference

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Black Panther was necessary as part of Civil War and Wakanda got teased back in Age of Ultron. Only after being a main character and plot driver of Civil War did we get the stand alone movie.

This is an out of left field choice with no prior tie ins or hinted at in the MCU to date. Big difference

And Doctor Strange wasn't? and Guardians of the Galaxy?

I don't see why it matters it was out of left field. IP wise of the ones they have access to, Marvel studios has kinda ran the well dry. All of the big players in the Avengers have gotten their movies or have them on the way. The "B" level heroes like Black Panther and Doctor Strange are already established, other lesser IPs (Punisher, Daredevil, etc) have gotten TV adaptations and they don't seem to want to bring it into the MCU.

The only two obvious big ones that are missing (Fantastic Four, X-Men) are held up by licensing issues so what do you expect?

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And Doctor Strange wasn't? and Guardians of the Galaxy?

I don't see why it matters it was out of left field. IP wise of the ones they have access to, Marvel studios has kinda ran the well dry. All of the big players in the Avengers have gotten their movies or have them on the way. The "B" level heroes like Black Panther and Doctor Strange are already established, other lesser IPs (Punisher, Daredevil, etc) have gotten TV adaptations and they don't seem to want to bring it into the MCU.

The only two obvious big ones that are missing (Fantastic Four, X-Men) are held up by licensing issues so what do you expect?

Were held up. Feige's introducing them carefully.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

One could argue that it was foreshadowed to a certain extent in the Iron Man movies. He is kidnapped by the 10 rings in Iron Man 1, in Iron Man 2 it is a Ten Rings member that gives Vanko his fake ID. Iron Man 3 sees Killian use their name for his purposes and the One-Shot All Hail the King shows how they were not happy about it. Add that one of Shang-Chi's biggest opponents historically is the Ten Rings...I mean it's not that hard to link it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad