Movies: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - September 3rd, 2021

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Watched it last night!

I enjoyed it. Well done movie overall. I was really interested to see how they tied it into the MCU, so that first post credit scene adds some reason intrigue.

Wong is becoming more and more a favourite of mine :laugh:

What is interesting is with all of the intrigue that Wong, CM, and Banner had in trying to understand the 10 rings, is that Dr Strange was no where to be seen.

You would think that he would be as interested. Wonder if it will have to do something with No Way Home

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Watched it last night!

I enjoyed it. Well done movie overall. I was really interested to see how they tied it into the MCU, so that first post credit scene adds some reason intrigue.

Wong is becoming more and more a favourite of mine :laugh:

What is interesting is with all of the intrigue that Wong, CM, and Banner had in trying to understand the 10 rings, is that Dr Strange was no where to be seen.

You would think that he would be as interested. Wonder if it will have to do something with No Way Home

I watched it too, the IMAX Enhanced version. Really like these! Slightly better than Eternals but I think Eternals nailed the 3rd acts a bit better. The opening fight between Wenwu and his bride-to-be was beautifully shot and choreographed. In general, the fights were really well choreographed and some of the best seen in comic book movies. Wenwu was a proper character and not just a stereotypical character. Michelle Yeo and Tony Leung did a great job and Simu Liu had great chemistry with Awkwafina.

I was almost expecting the rings to have tie-in to Eternals but there wasn't any hint in that to these. I think it was shot before Shang-Chi as well. Somehow I was not spoiled by the CM/Brie appearance. :yo: Wong just going to karaoke with Shang and Katy after that... :laugh:

2nd post-credit scene was to be expected somewhat.

Reactions: uncleben

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Simu Liu's Alleged Old Reddit Account Is Why You Should Never Post

And this is why you should never post stupid things online even if you are not famous, they will come back to bite you in the arse.

I didn't read the whole article, but scanned through it to read the part about pedophiles being like gay people...

He's just saying that nobody chooses who they're attracted to... which is correct

You can, however, choose to get angered over those comments... just as I can choose not to care about the feelings of anyone who would choose to get angered

Seems like much ado about nothing

Reactions: uncleben

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Just finished it...

Rather than this being a film pandering to China, I'd like to think it's more of a "thank you" from Marvel to China

The fighting choreography was the highlight of the film for me...

Some odd casting choices in the film... the dad looked like a dweeb, not a badass

When I'm watching a movie... I don't want to be reminded by the actions of the characters that I'm watching a movie... obviously in a superhero film I'm willing to suspend realism when it comes to superpowers and whatnot, but there were 2 things that really stood out as ridiculous to me...

Katy driving the car at the beginning of the film as if she's in a Fast & The Furious... it was just ridiculous

And the bus driver continuing to drive the bus while that fight was taking place... no driver would just keep driving with that commotion going on in the back... he would've stopped the bus long before the brakes were cut

Overall, not a bad film... but there was room for improvement

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just finished it...

Rather than this being a film pandering to China, I'd like to think it's more of a "thank you" from Marvel to China

Some odd casting choices in the film... the dad looked like a dweeb, not a badass

When I'm watching a movie... I don't want to be reminded by the actions of the characters that I'm watching a movie... obviously in a superhero film, I'm willing to suspend realism when it comes to superpowers and whatnot, but there were 2 things that really stood out as ridiculous to me...

Katy driving the care at the beginning of the film as if she's in a Fast & The Furious... it was just ridiculous

And the bus driver continuing to drive the bus while that fight was taking place... no driver would just keep driving with that commotion going on in the back... he would've stopped the bus long before the brakes were cut

Overall, not a bad film... but there was room for improvement

He was wearing earplugs, probably couldn't hear any of it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just finished it...

I wouldn't know before hand but 'dad', Tony Chiu-Wai Leung, is supposed to be a big Chinese movie star.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He was wearing earplugs, probably couldn't hear any of it.

You're right... sort of...

He had earbuds in, so he was likely listening to music... which I'm pretty sure is illegal and against company policy

So, again, the writers forced a character to do something illogical for the sake of the plot...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I finally caught this last night.

My immediate reaction was that it didn't feel like a Marvel film, but more of a Westernized Wuxia, and I enjoyed it more when I just pretended it wasn't part of the MCU.

I felt that Dr. Strange and Black Panther managed to keep the fantastical elements to almost a digestible amount, whereas this went full bore fantasy with dragons flying around, giant wolf/bear dogs that no one seems to be amazed by, and an urban Asian-American learning how to expertly fire a bow in a matter of hours.

The banter and humour was decent enough, and Simu is a charismatic leading man, but I guess I felt like there was almost too much going on and it sort of lurched around. "We have to go to Macau." "Ok, I'm coming." "We're in Macau at the place we need to be."

I think the amount of backstory ended up compressing the real focus of the story in the present day and it ended up feeling rushed in terms of pacing.

Part of the challenge of using actual Chinese actors is that the performances can end up a bit wooden in English - as was the case with the sister IMO.

The cameos were well done, and the fight sequences (which bore the hell out of Mrs_NyQuil) were entertaining.

If I had to give it a comparative ranking, I think I'd have it in the bottom third.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watched it over the weekend, this and Black Widow are two movies that just don't feel like Marvel films (not that it is a bad thing). Overall though, I thought this was a brilliant movie. The characters were all cast brilliantly and the actual superpower of the Ten Rings was such a breathe of fresh air over the cliche "super-strength" or "billionaire toybox". The storyline was the average, "fight an enemy before (s)he unlocks something more powerful," but I really liked how this film didn't necessarily have a truly evil villain. More like a bloke who lost everything dear to him for his reasons, but didn't realise that he was the one who made it happen. Even if it comes across as an action/adventure Marvel flick, this movie was quite psychological if you think about it. If the father wasn't selfish and didn't forsake his family for glory, then his wife wouldn't have died and he wouldn't have been in position to be overtaken by his guilt and despair. Then it was shocking to see the sister actually wanting the power herself... Really looking forward to the second instalment because I think Shang-chi has the qualities to be a major character in this next wave. The martial art fighting was A++++++, I can't give it enough praise to how damn well it was done compared to other Disney movies like the last Star Wars trilogy.

I watched this on Disney+ with IMAX enhanced version and I was wondering if anybody had major problems with how truly awful the CGI looked? Not necessarily the forest or other scenes later on, but the fighting sequence in the beginning and the one in San Fran were bad. I want to chalk it up due to IMAX and not necessarily the movie being awful.

E: Also appreciate how much they spoke in Mandarin compared to English, that's one of my complains about Black Widow and lack of Russian in the movie. Gotta make these characters origins believable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad