Confirmed with Link: Shane Churla leaves Habs to become Panthers director of amateur scouting

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
So who's our head of amateur scouting now? Timmins back in the role until we find another body or promote within? I don't see anyone internally that can do that job. Especially when I see names like Donald Audette as an amateur scout.

Then you wonder why the dunces picked Guhle over Lapierre. Lmfao. Remember when they picked Audette's ECHL calibre son and literally pissed away a pick? What a team.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Churla was the impetus behind a lot of shitty picks, I can’t say that I’ll miss his input

Reactions: Andrei79

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Churla was Director of Amateur Scouting here for the last few years (after Timmins was named Assistant GM). However, Timmins was still running that department. Churla still had more say than before, but TT was still the head honcho.

In Florida, Churla has the same title as he did in Montreal, but he will have more control of that department. It's a lateral move in title, but a step up in his career.

He also NOW works in Florida and Idk if anyone told you but most people, and I mean like 99% of the pop (100 if non Quebecois) would rather pay no income tax and live in a tropical climate than deal with 53% taxation, (Mod) crap weather, worse roads and be part of a team with zero cup aspirations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pacciosoftie

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Probably means nothing in the long run. At most, it probably makes us draft less from the WHL.

I think Churla went more of the high school approach. I could be wrong, but they've drafted quite a few players out of high school the last few years after he was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting (Harris, Struble, Smith, Biondi, Gorniak and Pitlick are a few of the players drafted out of high school).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Then you wonder why the dunces picked Guhle over Lapierre. Lmfao. Remember when they picked Audette's ECHL calibre son and literally pissed away a pick? What a team.

How dare they miss on a late 5th round pick! :sarcasm:

In the following 30 picks, only 3 got games in the NHL, only 1 as an impact player, 1 as a depth player and 1 who is on a AHL deal right now.

Also, he was easily AHL calibre.

Reactions: JAPPO

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
you could literally chuck at dart at HF and find a more capable scout than that doofus. Good riddance, and apologies in advance to the Panthers for a total low IQ Bergie Buddy coming your way.

Reactions: covfefe

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
How dare they miss on a late 5th round pick! :sarcasm:

In the following 30 picks, only 3 got games in the NHL, only 1 as an impact player, 1 as a depth player and 1 who is on a AHL deal right now.

Also, he was easily AHL calibre.

Doesn't the fact that they picked a dude's son who they knew, because his father works for the team, would never make it annoy you? It's just typical Quebecois nepotism

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Was it already his role here? Director of amateur scouting group. Im just wondering why he would change for the same role

I think Timmins was still head scout. I suspect he wanted to really be head scout, not just in title.

Can anyone confirm this?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Doesn't the fact that they picked a dude's son who they knew, because his father works for the team, would never make it annoy you? It's just typical Quebecois nepotism

It's typical NHL nepotism. Draper just picked his son in the last draft, it happen all the time, everywhere. It shouldn't... but that's just how the NHL do its thing.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
It's typical NHL nepotism. Draper just picked his son in the last draft, it happen all the time, everywhere. It shouldn't... but that's just how the NHL do its thing.

The Audette pick isn't even that bad as far nepotism goes. He was at least worth gambling on. Nowhere near as bad as drafting Brodeur, Draper or Langenbrunner's son.

Reactions: tazsub3

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Bf3Ht2n

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
O yea because Timmins was so much better... remember Scherbak? Juulsen? Fischer? All killers.

Where in my post did I say anything about Timmins? Burn the whole scouting dept to the ground for all I care.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Was it already his role here? Director of amateur scouting group. Im just wondering why he would change for the same role

Not sure the scouting staff appreciate the criticism from the media/fans regarding drafting non-quebecois players. Scouting is a rough job with all the traveling. I'm sure these people, like any other workers, want to feel appreciated for the work they do. I suspect this is part of the reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad