Sportsnet: Shanaplan Phase 2

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
no ones calling the Leaf cheap

i'm just saying , telling someone who knows he'll likely be traded to take a discount because they gave his money to the new guy is a joke

as a fan i'd love if MNM took discounts just like i would have loved if JT took a discount and signed for 8.5m like Stamkos did but i'm not going crap on them for wanting to get paid

But you will crap on Shanahan for wanting to get paid when he was in similar situation when he was a player.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Why is it hypocritical? Its pretty clear he could have probably earned a bigger paycheck as a player if that was all he wanted.
Because he held out and signed an offersheet for more money.

Why did you like my post if you disagreed with it is the real question.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Actually.. I have taken less salary myself so that I could ensure a couple of employees who were more key then others could be compensated as such. Things worked better with them there and that was simply what was best. A small price to pay for everyone being happy and more importantly effective . . .
So did I, the year before last. It wasn't much but it made a world of difference, especially in terms of leadership and developing the workplace culture that we're there for each other.

I always think it's good business not to grab every last dollar, and instead to leave something on the table for someone else. When you do that, the World works better for you in every way.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Why did you like my post if you disagreed with it is the real question.
Shanahan did not hold out and he did not present himself with an offer sheet. Someone else offered him more money, and he accepted it.

That's hugely different from holding out for more than anyone is offering.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Shannahan left a mediocre team for a team that looked like it was on the verge of challenging for a Stanley Cup because he signed with them. Nylander's demands are certain to reduce the Leafs chances of winning cup. He and his agent know this and they don't care. The want theirs and that's fine. But its still on them, not Shannahan.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Shannahan left a mediocre team for a team that looked like it was on the verge of challenging for a Stanley Cup because he signed with them. Nylander's demands are certain to reduce the Leafs chances of winning cup. He and his agent know this and they don't care. The want theirs and that's fine. But its still on them, not Shannahan.

I think that is what Shannys intention was in saying what he did. Letting everyone including Willies camp know that the ball is in their court.

At some point it is going to be counter productive financially and reason will prevail. The leafs have all the cards. Might as well slow play it to get the best deal possible.

Two bulls standing on a hill looking down at a herd of cows. The young one looks at the other and says let's run down there and **** one of those cows. The older bull replies. No son, let's walk down there and **** them all.

Applies perfectly here.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And in case you have not wrapped your head around it. None is asking him to take a hometown discount. Stop honing in on that one triggering word for you and so many others... "hometown"
The title should more appropriatly be "Do you want to make a lot of money and win or make more money and never achieve your dreams"

The team merely want him to take what he deserves. 6.5 is not a discount...it is what he is worth now.

Pasta a 30+ goal scorer who is better then Willie in a lot of facets got 6.66
22 goals doesn't get you that kind of money. You can't just demand more then you are worth and say I promise I can produce now overpay me.

The day that a team starts paying 7+ million a season for players who as good as he could be have not broken the 22 goal mark is the day they start to have to get rid of effective players who do make a difference.

we know the comparable's , we know Shanny/Dubas/Babs all have said in different ways they want our players to take discounts but what we don't know is what the team is offering or Willie is asking for or if there's any other issues that are adding to the delay in him signing

my point is i keep hearing from mgmt they want players to "buy in" and this isn't for "everyone" so since it's obvious Willie isn't "buying in" get him signed and then work on moving him at some point during or after the season and enough of the cliches since they don't help the situation

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
But you will crap on Shanahan for wanting to get paid when he was in similar situation when he was a player.
i'm crapping on Shanhan for being a hypocrite , not because he held out and signed an offer sheet at the same age as Willie

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Missing Horton's LTIR money too.....which could keep Gardiner if a bit of $$$ is peeled off the bottom of the roster. Not sure Kapanen or Johnsson will rate increases if they can't bury the biscuit.

I didn't include Nathan in my numbers, but if you want to count his LTIR then you must count his salary, which cancel each other out.

I love Kappy, he's scored big goals in big games.

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
I like the move that Shanahan is saying he wants players to take a pay cut to play here.

It's bending the reality to the Front Office favour. It might bite them in the ass when it comes to outside free agents from considering Toronto, but it's not that likely as they can still put in competitive bids.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I like the move that Shanahan is saying he wants players to take a pay cut to play here.

It's bending the reality to the Front Office favour. It might bite them in the ass when it comes to outside free agents from considering Toronto, but it's not that likely as they can still put in competitive bids.
One outside free agent has already bought in. In case you haven't heard, John Tavares signed on, at a discount, to WIN HERE!

I guess Nylander feels entitled to the monies that Tavares left on the table! Greedy little prick!

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I love Willie, but if he feels that entitled to making 8M +, we might have seen his last game in a Leafs jersey.

I'll be happy as long as we can retain his value, but Dubas certainly has his work cut-out for him to make it work.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I guess Nylander feels entitled to the monies that Tavares left on the table! Greedy little prick!

OMG, he's not a greedy prick. He can't get any move protection in his contract, so at the very least, he doesn't want to give Toronto a discount to play THERE and then get traded to Minnesota a week later. Fair enough.

There doesn't have to be a bad guy here.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
OMG, he's not a greedy prick. He can't get any move protection in his contract, so at the very least, he doesn't want to give Toronto a discount to play THERE and then get traded to Minnesota a week later. Fair enough.

There doesn't have to be a bad guy here.

Nylander is asking for 8mil a year.

he finished 70th in scoring last year......

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nylander is asking for 8mil a year.

he finished 70th in scoring last year......

What's your point? Back to back 60 point seasons in your first two years absolutely translates to a 7ish million dollar player on a long term deal. 8 is a reasonable starting point. He would be many teams' top 2-3 player.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
So did I, the year before last. It wasn't much but it made a world of difference, especially in terms of leadership and developing the workplace culture that we're there for each other.

I always think it's good business not to grab every last dollar, and instead to leave something on the table for someone else. When you do that, the World works better for you in every way.

To add to your point, there are lots of studies that show that Monetary goals are not efficient in motivating people, Appreciation and recognition is the two most sought-after rewards (and paid time off). After a certain dollar amount (70,000 US according to Harvard) anything after that does not motivate people to work harder.

Nylander signed these endorsement deals, he's dug his feet in, but he always struck me as that kind of guy... even seeing the videos of them out in public. Yes, it is a hot take. I don't care, if he wants to hold out for 8 mil, maybe we can make a move for OEL.

Let him sit for a year, we did really well last year without Matthews, Who is Nylander in the ultimate hierarchy of things.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
What's your point? Back to back 60 point seasons in your first two years absolutely translates to a 7ish million dollar player on a long term deal. 8 is a reasonable starting point. He would be many teams' top 2-3 player.
No it does not.

look at his comparables to who is around him. Even Kucherov signed a bridge deal at like 4 mil a season. Anything higher then 6.5 and it becomes to costly.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
No it does not.

look at his comparables to who is around him. Even Kucherov signed a bridge deal at like 4 mil a season. Anything higher then 6.5 and it becomes to costly.

Ehlers? Pasternak?

Costly for the Leafs but whatever, his value is in that ballpark.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
both are under 7 are they not? and Pasternak played a massive roll for Boston in the playoffs - Did Willy even dress?

Generally speaking, when players ask for a number, they actually want a number a bit under that, it's a part of negotiations. And this is after a cap raise, so yeah it's all in the right ballpark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad